cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Long Trip South Part 3 #64828 10/22/03 08:58 AM
Shirin Offline OP
OP Offline
More photos to share with everyone! These are not really in order.

The ring of stones engraved with the Hatteras Keeper's names was quite a mess after Isabel's visit. Many were almost buried and pushed out of place. Hopefully the circle will be restored shortly.

The view from the top of my first climb up Hatteras. You can see that water is still standing along the lighthouse's move path.

Bodie Island Lighthouse taken Saturday morning during a brief stop in between Currituck and Hatteras.

If only there was a bit more fall color in those leaves.

Kevin Duffus author of The Lost Light signing books at the Lighthouse Gallery Friday evening.

Keeper Westwood and ??? Molloy? from the Chicamacomico Life Saving Station (maybe Judy can help me out with her name?) confused

Some of the sandbags near the original site of the tower to help with the erosion.

Shirin
Re: A Long Trip South Part 3 #64829 10/22/03 12:49 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures as usual Shirin. I agree, if only there was a little more fall color in those leaves. Thanks for sharing.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: A Long Trip South Part 3 #64830 10/22/03 02:26 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Shirin...I'm loving these photos!!

The Circle of Rocks is to be repaired. That was a project of the OBLHS, and we will be placing them back as they were. The hurricane was so forceful that one of the stones was knocked into the surf! For those of you who have not seen this circle, it is a manmade circle of stones around the former site where the lighthouse once stood. On each stone is engraved a former keeper's name with the dates.

The photo of Kevin Duffus also shows David Stick (left corner) historian and author of many books about the Outer Banks. Her is 81, and this was his first signing in many years. He doesn't do them anymore, but did this for us this weekend as a special favor.

That's Linda Molloy, a staff member at the Chicamacomico Life Saving Station, posing with Brent Westwood (Pharoslvr) as the Keeper and the Keeper's wife.

She also was there with her own exhibit from the LSS and told stories and played games with the children all day.

Many thanks to Shirin, as I was camera-less 'till Sunday!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: A Long Trip South Part 3 #64831 10/22/03 03:00 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Shirin,

Love the Currituck photo .... such a pretty lighthouse in a great and picturesque setting. Thanks for posting the shots. smile smile

Dan

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users