Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64558 04/14/07 10:24 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A full page ad running in National Geographic Traveler magazine encourages people to look at the other stuff in Maine - stuff that moves. The lighthouses are 'stationary' and aren't going anywhere.

The copy reads "Our lighthouses are magnificent. They're also stationary. So take your time and check out the other things that Maine has to offer. The lighthouses aren't going anywhere."

Here\'s a link to a larger size of the ad .

So are the folks from Maine tired of us Lighthouse peepers? Or do they just want us to look beyond the lighthouses and spend money in other parts of the state as well?

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64559 04/15/07 11:18 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Webmaster:
A full page ad running in National Geographic Traveler magazine encourages people to look at the other stuff in Maine - stuff that moves. The lighthouses are 'stationary' and aren't going anywhere.

The copy reads "Our lighthouses are magnificent. They're also stationary. So take your time and check out the other things that Maine has to offer. The lighthouses aren't going anywhere."

So are the folks from Maine tired of us Lighthouse peepers? Or do they just want us to look beyond the lighthouses and spend money in other parts of the state as well?
John,

I'm sure that some here will be inscened by this ad but I think you answered your own question.

Maine is not dissing it's lighthouses or thier afficianados they are just pointing out that there are other fine things to do while in maine other than visiting thier "magnificent" lighthouses. I beleive they indicate their support of the lighthouses by saying that they will still be there so visitors ahouldn't worry.

Do I think these thoughts could be better expresseed- possibly. Am I offended by them- nope. I understand that there are other things in life than lighthouses. I even make time for some of them in my travels to maine and elsewhere.

Dennis

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64560 04/15/07 04:29 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Michigan's tourist centers embarked with travelers visiting our state due to our magnificent lighthouses, the beaches with sparkling Great Lakes waters, million dollar sunsets, etc....and the tourism bureau spends money on these facts to have the traveler visit our state, and in turn the traveler spends THEIR money! wink

The statement that was printed, "The lighthouses aren't going anywhere" would seem to offend someone. The lighthouses brings a visitor to the state, and with further travel, there are other opportunities to explore. But don't kick the fact that the lighthouses might be the main reason for the visit! The statement could have been a little 'softer" than what was printed!

"One liners can make an ad, or break an ad"!

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64561 04/15/07 06:05 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Michigan has chosen to take a very pro-active approach to promoting its lighthouse heritage. As Mary points out, you get someone to come to visit the lighthouses and they will probably also enjoy other attractions around the state.

I do believe that Maine has yet to learn this lesson. I somewhat agree with Dennis that there was probably no malicious intent to the ad, just a poor job of producing it. Someone who was apparetnly not lighthouse oriented and frustrated by people seeing the lights but not the other great sites around the state.

However, isn't Maine also a state that refuses to implement a specialty plate for lighthouseses? If my memory is correct on this one, that would be an incredibly short sighted thing to do since your license plates are small moving billboards promoting your state everywhere they go.

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64562 04/15/07 09:17 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Why "kick the gift horse in the head". bash

It seems like the ad would have been more appropriately worded to say "in addition to our beautiful lighthouses"...take time to enjoy these other activities in Maine.

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64563 04/16/07 08:15 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well said Lorie.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64564 04/28/07 04:59 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here's another one in the series- looks like they are going to "diss" all thier big things-

This one was also in National Geographics Traveler magazine.

Dennis

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64565 04/28/07 09:15 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Folks,

That advertisment isn't limited to the printed media. I saw "Our lighthouses are magnificent. They're also stationary. So take your time and check out the other things that Maine has to offer. The lighthouses aren't going anywhere." on TV last night.

I guess someone up there just hasn't learned.

bobo

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64566 04/28/07 09:21 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ott:
Well Folks,

That advertisment isn't limited to the printed media. I saw [b]"Our lighthouses are magnificent. They're also stationary. So take your time and check out the other things that Maine has to offer. The lighthouses aren't going anywhere."
on TV last night.

I guess someone up there just hasn't learned.

bobo [/b]
I think some people just take things a bit too seriously- the ads are obviously not meant to be taken completely at face value- as the one i just posted shows they are not just "picking" on lighthouses.

Just my opinion of course.

Dennis

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64567 04/28/07 09:36 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm not really seeing it as "picking" on anyone/thing. The lighthouse one really seems more to be, "don't rush around Maine to go lighthousing - see the rest of the state, too!." It says "take your time and see the other thinge ME has to offer" - I think that's supposed to mean "in addition," not "instead."

The lobster one seems to personify the lobsters for comedic effect.

BUT, I can see how both can be easily misconstrued. I think minor wording changes could help boost the point. After all, can you really go to Maine without lobster and lighthouses?

I actually find them pretty funny, but I guess it's because that's kind of my humour.

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64568 04/29/07 01:01 PM
kikigl Offline
Well said, everyone. I have to agree. I was a Maine native before I moved to Florida. Maine
has always been a very conservative state, not open to new ideas and changes. Until maybe, the
last few years, my family and I could not even find "lighthouse cruises". Now, at least, they do have some. Some are better than others and do
get close to shore so we can get good pictures.
The one out of Portland last year was not that great. The Captain was not that interested in lighthouses. Maine usually doesn't make changes
until several years after the rest of the country.
Don't get me wrong, I love to go back to Maine for visits! And we always have to go lighthousing! Maine is a beautiful state!
My daughter still lives there. She is down here
visiting now and I think eventually she will move here.

Kay
Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64569 04/29/07 05:39 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I think that everyone is partially correct. Dennis, I believe, may have hit the nail on the head when he said "looks like they are going to "diss" all thier big things". However, what I believe is happening is that what someone in power sees as humor others do not. Perhaps the ads are too far out there or perhaps we are too defensive about our passion for lighthouses. In either case the ads are having a positive effect (we are discussing Maine) but also a negative effect (we are not always discussing Maine in a positive way...) It is possible that the ads are having the desired effect and getting people to look at all of Maine, not just some sub-set of it.

Kay, The Portland Harbor cruise was a good one for the lighthouses that were viewed and the captain did a reasonable job setting them up to be viewed. However, the real drawback is that he just kept going on and on and on and on . . . . . silence would truly have been golden.

Re: Maine Travel Ad Shrugs Off Lighthouses... #64570 04/29/07 06:09 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dave,

As per usual you see my point- not that we always agree. laugh

I do think it's somebody's idea of a joke and some just are taking it a bit too seriously since the first one we saw was pointed at lighthouses.

Dennis

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,766 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users