Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthousing Northern California Part 2 #64423 10/08/02 06:54 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Saturday . . . .

I had originally hoped to be able to take the ferry across the bay to San Francisco, but the ferry does not run before 0900 on weekends, and I had to get to Sacramento for the regional! So, back to the lightship for some daylight pictures and stopped by Coast Guard Island for a quick visit. I was surprised to see the cutters armed with Phalanx systems – really don't want to get those folks angry! I was on the road to Sacramento by 0930. Along the way did have to make a detour to stop and get a view of East Brother Light Station. The shoreline area where you can see the light from is all part of a fairly recently abandoned Navy Supply complex. Where I would think you could get the best water level views from, the road was gated and marked with a “don't even think about it” kind of sign, and I decided to look elsewhere. Elsewhere was the road to the marina where the East Brother launch picks up their guests. Now, I have been four wheeling places that were in better condition than this so called “road”. Another windy road where people like to take their half of the road out of the middle – especially exciting on blind curves. Since there is no place on this path to turn a car around, I got to go all the way to the marina. I can not even begin to imagine someone having to tow a boat in over that storage place for pot holes. Anyway, at the top of the hill you have to cross, there are some decent views of East Brother.

On to the regional event. Saw a number of internet friends, and finally got to meet Dale & Diana Lawrence. I was somewhat disappointed in the turnout for this event. I would estimate fewer than 100 people. Not sure if it was the location; a shortage of HL collectors in the northern California area; or, fewer people were fired up about this one due to an apparent shortage of California connected collectors. The facility the event was at was a wonderful one, a nice community center.

After the regional I enjoyed dinner with the Bradys and the Lawrences before heading back for the coast. My plans had changed, and I had decided to try to get to Point Cabrillo Sunday morning. (Derith's fault) The one concern I had was that I also had to be at SFO by 1730 to return my rental car and get to the airport for my flight to Seattle. With the help of Paul & Sue, and looking at my maps, I had plotted a route to go from Sacramento to Fort Bragg. Another adventure with twisty, turn filled roads. Seems like folks in northern California aren't comfortable with doing the speed limit on the interstate, but think nothing of doing twice the limit on a twisting road during a rain storm – go figure. Anyway, arrived in Fort Bragg about 2300, found a motel and crashed.

Sunday . . .

Got away from the motel a little later than planned, but was underway at 0715. Quick stop for a McPower Breakfast and on to Point Cabrillo. Had spoken with the keeper at the regional on Saturday, and he had told me it was OK to head in before their opening. So, I found myself at the light bright and early. On the way in, came across several deer grazing by the road. Unfortunately, the camera was still in the trunk. They have recently finished restoring this light and does it look great! The grounds are wonderfully kept. Out there all by itself, you can get some great pictures. The short tower allows you to have a decent look at the Chance Brothers third order lens (reputed to be one of only 3 Chance Brothers lenses in the US). It appears that they also have a nice little museum inside, but I was way too early for that. I think this is a light you could spend some nice quiet time just enjoying the beautiful view. I departed about 0800, allowing 2 hours for the trip to Point Arena.

Re: Lighthousing Northern California Part 2 #64424 10/08/02 07:01 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The trip from Point Cabrillo to Point Arena is only about 40 miles or so, but with Highway 1 as twisty as it is to the south, didn't want to take a chance. The road down was very good, nowhere near the fun of the road to Point Reyes even though there were plenty of turns and twists. The views were quite enjoyable, and I stopped several times along the way to enjoy them.

You could see the Point Arena light from a number of places along the road from the north, starting probably 15 miles away. The traffic wasn't too bad, and I arrived in town with plenty of time to spare. I kept on to the south to see if I could get a view from that side of the point, but had no luck. After a stop in town to pick up a soft drink, I was sitting at the gate to the grounds a little before 1000.

Point Arena is a nicely kept light station, including a couple of former keeper's quarters you can stay at. The current tower was built from 1906 to 1908, to replace the original tower, which was damaged in the great earthquake of 1906. The original tower was disassembled; the pieces not saved for reuse in the new tower were simply thrown over the cliffs. The last civilian keeper found the original dedication stone while diving for abalone, and recovered it to serve as a memorial to the original tower.

In conversation with the docent in the tower, I learned several interesting items:

• The name means “sandy point”. When new, the light station had many sandy beaches all around. However, since the station was first platted, they have lost over 50% of the original land mass!
• The man who poured the concrete for the new tower (1906-1908) was a smoke stack builder from San Francisco. He personally mixed every batch of cement, and pulled it up the tower bucket by bucket with the help of his trusty old mule.
• The “collar” around the base is what is supposed to protect this tower from earthquake damage.
• There is no inward taper to the tower, as would be found in most tall towers.
• Toward the end of WWII a dirigible brushed the tower with no apparent damage.
• The only pre-earthquake building that remains is the fog signal building, now used as a museum.
• The lantern room holds the original first order lens, still revolving on its mercury filled base.

After a visit to the museum and purchases from the gift shop I headed back to the highway. Before heading out I stopped at the Rollerville Junction gift store to check out the merchandise. Had a nice visit with the lady who owned the store. Turned out she was also a Purdue graduate, and had done her student teaching here in Kokomo several years ago. After purchasing some more cards it was time to head south for Point Bonita. Worked my way back to 101 via another one of those all-too-familiar windy roads. Not as bad as some, but not made for speed. It was a pretty drive, though. Headed south on 101 as fast as the traffic would allow. Closer to the Bay Bridge the traffic seemed to be backing up, but the exit you want is the last one before the bridge.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,041 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users