cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eatons Neck Revisited #64417 06/14/99 09:14 AM
Lighthousedude Offline OP
OP Offline
Good Morning All,

The tower looming out of the morning mist, the fresnel lens glowing in the lantern room.

Sunday I had the pleasure of accompnying the "Wildbird" on an excursion out to the U.S.C.G. Station at Eatons Neck. His mission was to get some photos and information for a presentation he is doing on L.I.Lights and for updating his website of Long Island Lights.

Even though the weather was not cooperative we enjoyed the tour of the station and the tower climb. As always the Coast Guard was very accommodating. A young seaman named Bryan (his last name escapes me) took us down to the docks and we were allowed to board a small cutter for inspection, then it was onward and upward to the lighthouse.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what the weather is. It's always a thrill to be able to visit, climb or be in the presence of our historic sentinels.

On the way home we made a detour up to the Old Field Light for some more for fog shrouded photos.

Be sure to check Bobs website (www.longislandlighthouses.co) for updates.

Keep the Flame!!

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 06-14-99).]

Re: Eatons Neck Revisited #64418 06/14/99 02:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad to hear about your trek, know it was lots of fun having a fellow lighthouse enthuist along. It will be great to see the photos you took when they are posted on the Long Island website.

I can remember feeling let down when there was fog at Pt. Arena when I was there. One of my traveling companions reminded me that the ships really needed the lighthouse during that kind of weather. Changed my feeling about not having sunny skies.

Derith

Re: Eatons Neck Revisited #64419 06/15/99 11:35 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Mike now understands the curse. Almost every time I plan ahead to take lighthouse photos, the weather turns ugly (the June 6 cruise was a notable exception). The lesson: Don't plan ahead. So I snuck up on Old Field Sunday afternoon and Horton Point today and got some decent shots on slide film.

I enjoyed our trip to Eaton's Neck, even with the fog. Although I was a bit disappointed about the lack of attention the lens seems to get (Fingerprints on the lens!), it was nice to see a Fresnel lens in service. And Mike is a pleasure to have along. I know I've said this before, but one of the coolest things about being involved with lighthouses is the people you meet.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: Eatons Neck Revisited #64420 06/16/99 08:56 AM
Lighthousedude Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the kind words "Wildbird"!

You are absolutely right, the best part of lighthouses are the people who you share them with.

That is why there is this collectors forum for all of us newbies, wackos, and saints to share our love of lighthouses.

Keep the Flame!

Re: Eatons Neck Revisited #64421 08/24/99 12:03 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
On my list- must get there by the Fall.
Climbed Fire Island, Old Field, and Montauk. Hopefully Horton's Point today!
Cruised by Orient Point 'Coffee Pot' and Long Beach Bar 'Bug Light'.
Hiked to Cedar Island twice.
Need those western LHs?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Eatons Neck Revisited #64422 08/24/99 02:49 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Mike,
I think that Bryan was the guide that took my brother and myself on the tour. We were also able to get on board the cutter. Bryan seemed to be winded at the top of the Lighthouse (I thought these guys were in shape ). It was real hot inside there with the light being on in the middle of the day.
The weather always seems to be poor when I go visit lighthouses, but it was nice for the Eatons Neck trip. Hopefully it will be a future HL.

John

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users