Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fire Island Lighthouse 2-1-03 #64399 02/02/03 04:13 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I finally made it to another Long Island Lighthouse and as an added pleasure I also finally got to a meeting of the Long Island Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society.

The weather wasn't the best, but compared to how it's been so far this year it wasn't bad either- not too cold and only some rain at times.

I also got to meet Bob Muller the last of the Long Island Stooges that I have met along with Diane Mancini. I had a nice talk with both of them.

I also ran into Shirin and had a chance to talk with her for a bit. I did not see anybody else that I know from the Forums.

There were some interesting speakers for the meeting.

The first was Mr. Van Field and he's an author of a book on Long Island Shipwrecks. He gave us some information on some of the other structures out near Fire Island.

The second was a gentleman, Mr. Bob Chapman (Chat) who served in the Coast Guard at the Radio Station next to the lighthouse. He had some great stories and pictures of his time at the facility.

We also got an added treat- one of the Keeper's of the Fire Island Lighthouse, Gottfried Mahler, was there and gave us a small taste of what can be expected at the dinner cruise with Bill Younger and a number of Keepers in March the night before Suffolk County Lighthouse Day.

The was another gentleman, Fred, in the audience who also served at the Lighthouse in the late 30's, including during the Hurricane of 1938. He gave us some idea of the destruction wreaked by the Hurricane.

I got a tour along with a group of people (most of whom had also never been up the Lighthouse. given by Bob Muller, Barbara and Roy. We got all the information there was to get with that trio.

You don't get up into the Lantern Room, but
Fire Island is one of the Lighthouses that you can actually go outside up at the top. The view was tremendous, even considering the weather. Luckily it wasn't too windy.

I took some pictures, but for some reason the camera was being tempermental and none of the ones at the top are very good.

I'm going to add pictures later. I'm having technical difficulties and it's getting late.

Dennis

Re: Fire Island Lighthouse 2-1-03 #64400 02/02/03 12:08 PM
Shirin Offline
Glad to see your Long Island curse didn't follow you yesterday unless you count the weather Dennis.

Moopies5 from the forums was also at the meeting.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

shirin

Shirin
Re: Fire Island Lighthouse 2-1-03 #64401 02/02/03 04:15 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Shirin,

I don't count the weather as part of my Long Island curse because it didn't keep me from getting there.

I didn't realize anybody else from the Forums was there. Was that the lady who came over and gave you the pictures?

Here's some pictures from my trip to Fire Island Lighthouse.

The first one is of Bob Muller in the Museum area of the Keeper's house.

This second one is a picture of what remains of the base of the original Fire Island Lighthouse.

This next one is a shot taken from the Ocean Side of the Lighthouse showing the front of the Keeper's House.

This picture was taken from the boardwalk to the Lighthouses from the Parking Lot.

This last one for now is a picture of some of the Local Residents hoping for some food. While I was taking the picture of the base the deer were coming up the ramp and I heard a noise coming from behind me on the boardwalk and I at first thought they (the deer)had outflanked me, but it was just someone walking down the boardwalk.

I'm still having trouble with this uploading. I have some more, but they don't seem to like to be shown.

I must be doing something wrong.

Dennis

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users