Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ireland #64349 05/16/07 10:04 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I'm going to be going to Ireland at the end of the month with my grandson. We are taking a bus tour.

We are going to the Cliffs of Moher, taking a ferry ride across the River Shannon, taking the Ring of Kerry tour, and going to Cobb Heritage Center.

Does anyone know if I might get to see a lighthouse or two in any of those places?

Re: Ireland #64350 05/16/07 11:04 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
There are lights in these areas, depending which route the coach driver takes if you will see any.
If you are on the ferry crossing the river Shannon from Killimer to Tarbert you will see Tarbert lighthouse.
Here is a link to lighthouses on the west coast of Ireland where you will be. www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/irlw.htm
We spent two weeks in Ireland last September. Did our own self drive tour. Managed to see over 70 of the Irish lights and climb 5 of them. Met some amazing people, lighthouse attendants and one Lighthouse Keeper (there are only two lighthouse keepers in Ireland, the rest are lighthouse attendants).
Hope the info helps, have fun.
HCS

Re: Ireland #64351 05/16/07 11:22 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm not familiar with Ireland, Rosalie, but I hope you have a great time and see many lighthouses.

If you do see some lighthouses, I know you'll take lots of pictures. laugh

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Ireland #64352 05/18/07 03:26 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by HCS:
There are lights in these areas, depending which route the coach driver takes if you will see any.
If you are on the ferry crossing the river Shannon from Killimer to Tarbert you will see Tarbert lighthouse.
Here is a link to lighthouses on the west coast of Ireland where you will be. www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/irlw.htm
We spent two weeks in Ireland last September. Did our own self drive tour. Managed to see over 70 of the Irish lights and climb 5 of them. Met some amazing people, lighthouse attendants and one Lighthouse Keeper (there are only two lighthouse keepers in Ireland, the rest are lighthouse attendants).
Hope the info helps, have fun.
HCS
Thank you - I appreciate the link so that I can see where to look. I am afraid to drive by myself (I don't count a 13 year old kid as a co-driver and the normal driver in our family - my husband - won't be on the trip) on the left, so that's why we are doing a bus tour. The goal of the trip is to expand the kid's horizons like my mom did with his dad and not for me to see lighthouses. I just thought if it happened to be convenient, I'd take advantage.

Re: Ireland #64353 06/15/07 11:50 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Back from Ireland.

I have a bunch of picture of the Statue of Liberty which I'll put up later. The first lighthouse I saw in Ireland was from the Cliffs of Moher. It was a VERY clear day, and the lighthouse was a long way off. I'm not sure what one it was, although it might be Inisheer That was the only one I could find with a black band which might be near enough to see.

This is the photo http://www.kingma.nu/images/Ierland/ier-5-11.jpg

from the internet of Inisheer

What do you think? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

This is what we came to see - the Cliffs of Moher

I was trying to photograph the nesting puffins - this was as close as I got. (They are the black and white specks)

[url= http://www.kingma.nu/images/Ierland/ier-5-11.jpg]photo[/url]

Re: Ireland #64354 06/16/07 02:53 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Very nice Rosalie. I'm looking forward to seeing some more. By any chance did you go to Hook Head lighthouse? I am trying to go see it in Sept. and would appreciate any help on ways to get there from either Dublin or Cork, Ireland.

Re: Ireland #64355 06/19/07 08:02 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looks like it could be the same lighthouse. Sounds like you had a great trip

Re: Ireland #64356 06/27/07 11:57 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I saw two lights when we crossed the River Shannon. When I saw the ferry approaching, I knew I would get some pictures of the Tarbert Lighthouse.

But up in the distance I could also see

this one which I think is Scattery Island.

Other pictures

And this one with a No Anchoring sign.

Re: Ireland #64357 06/27/07 11:59 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko

These are just the best of the bunch. I took a lot more. I was running all over the ferry - up and down on each side.

Note: I am just getting to edit these photos, and this is still only the 2nd day of the tour.

The Tarbert Light

http://www.cil.ie/userimgs/980930613.1383377.phpficAGWWc.jpg

is not really in question - but here is a picture of Scattery Island light.
http://www.trabas.de/bilder/band_a/gross/A6342.jpg

What do you think?

Incidentally a lot of the links on the website Irish West Coast Lights are broken

edited to convert displayed images from other web sites to a hot link - Dave

Re: Ireland #64358 06/28/07 04:37 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Beautiful pictures! Thank you for takig us with you on your journey!

BTW ... about the broken links... Russ likes to hear about those. His site is getting so big, it is hard to keep track of all the links, so he often is grateful if someone tells him about them!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Ireland #64359 06/28/07 10:52 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Duo:
Beautiful pictures! Thank you for takig us with you on your journey!

BTW ... about the broken links... Russ likes to hear about those. His site is getting so big, it is hard to keep track of all the links, so he often is grateful if someone tells him about them!
I'll second both of these thoughts- great photos.

I found some small bits of misinformation and misdirected links on the Lighthouse Directory site and sent the info to Russ and he did two things- thanked me and fixed the problems immediately.

I used his site for much of my lighthouse planning for my trip to europe last summer

Send along any problems you found and he'll do the same i'm sure.

Dennis

Re: Ireland #64360 06/28/07 11:16 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie, Great pics!!!

I especially like the cliff shots. cool

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Ireland #64361 07/18/07 12:42 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
After we left the Shannon River and went to Killarney, there was a gap in lighthouse sightings. I didn't recognize any lighthouses when we did the Ring of Kerry, although we were on the water a lot of the time. That may be partly because what they call lighthouses, we might just call Aids to Navigation (ATONS)

We stopped overlooking Dingle Bay (Dingle is on the other side of the bay from where we are)

Went through Cahersiveen where we saw this memorial to St. Brendan the Navigator (patron saint of the US Navy)

Then to Waterville

Where I know there are lighthouses. It was clear so we could see offshore to the Skellig's, but not well enough to see the lighthouses, espcially from a speeding bus.

We stopped for lunch at Catherdaniel

and again at Sneem, and then had a final photo-op -stop

But even if I had seen a lighthouse here, I wouldn't have known where it was.

The following day we went to Blarney Castle, and then drove to Cobh which is the harbour for Cork (formerly called Queenstown)

This is Cork Harbour Spit Bank Pile

Re: Ireland #64362 07/18/07 01:17 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Near Cobh

I saw this lighthouse in the distance

I suppose this might be Youghal going by the fact that it has a white wall around it "masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; gallery rail painted red. Keeper's house and tower enclosed by a high wall, also painted white.easternmost point of County Cork, on the west side of the entrance to the harbor of Youghal from Youghal Bay. Accessible by the N25 highway"

There aren't any good pictures of it from a distance on the Youghal lighthouse page links that I have, but this is from a
Holiday Homes page

But that photo makes it look like it is on a hill, and mine looks more flat, so maybe that's not it.

Is this a lighthouse?

Or is it just a tower ruin?

Re: Ireland #64363 07/18/07 01:50 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I had told the guide that I wanted to see lighthouses, but he didn't make any accommodation for that. If I was able to take a picture of a lighthouse, it was in spite of him, and not because of him.

After we left did the tour of the Waterford Factory on June 6th, we drove to Dublin. We went to Howth for dinner at Abbey Tavern, and on the way out, I saw several lighthouses in the harbor, but Poolbeg Light was the only one I managed to get a picture of, and it isn't a very good one.

This might also be a lighthouse.

When we drove into Howth, I saw a lighthouse VERY close to where we were eating (picture from the bus)

,, so after they started the entertainment, I went out to take pictures of it.(This was about 8:30 in the evening)

I actually got two for one as it shows the old Howth Harbour Light and the new Howth Harbour Light

The new light is the pole like thing.

I didn't want to walk too far or take too long because I was afraid they'd go back to Dublin without me, plus due to a screwup in Killarney when we left there day before yesterday, I no longer had with me a way to charge my camera battery, and the battery I had been using died on the walk down to the harbor. So I had to be really careful what I chose to take pictures of from then on. (I did have two other batteries)

What happened was - the Marlton in Killarney charged for the internet, and also the wireless connection to it was only available in the lobby. And a slow nasty connection it was at that.

Since I couldn't log on from my room, I packed the computer up before breakfast that morning, and used the converter plug to charge the camera battery. But when I checked out after breakfast, I forgot to take the battery charger for the camera. That was June 5th. I found I didn't have it on when we got to Waterford for the night.

The hotel sent the charger back to me in London and I got it on June 8th, but I didn't take any photos of lighthouses there.

Re: Ireland #64364 07/18/07 03:05 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
[QUOTE]Originally posted by grandmaR:
[qb] Near Cobh

I saw this lighthouse in the distance
I suppose this might be Youghal going by the fact that it has a white wall around it "masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; gallery rail painted red. Keeper's house and tower enclosed by a high wall, also painted white.easternmost point of County Cork, on the west side of the entrance to the harbor of Youghal from Youghal Bay. Accessible by the N25 highway"
But that photo makes it look like it is on a hill, and mine looks more flat, so maybe that's not it.

Is this a lighthouse?

This looks like Roaches Point lighthouse which is on a bay close to the water. Youghal is not on a point. The tower is just a tower ruin not a lighthouse.
HCS

Re: Ireland #64365 07/18/07 06:22 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by HCS:

Is this a lighthouse?

This looks like Roaches Point lighthouse which is on a bay close to the water. Youghal is not on a point. The tower is just a tower ruin not a lighthouse.
HCS [/QB]
Actually I know the second picture is a ruin. It isn't in the same place as the first picture that I questioned if it might be a lighthouse. I was just trying to make the point that at a great distance it is often hard to tell.

After I look at some of the photos on some of the websites, I don't know if I would recognize some of those structures as lighthouses even if I could see them better.

Re: Ireland #64366 04/10/09 11:29 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I am reviving this thread of the lighthouses I saw in Ireland two years ago.

Re: Ireland #64367 04/11/09 01:10 AM
WVsister Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thank you so much. Some of the photos match the research I am doing. We do not have a date yet just 2010, so we have time for research.

Nancy
Re: Ireland #64368 04/11/09 01:16 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie, The light you saw from the cliffs of Moher is Innisheer. Been to the light and our island guide that drove us out in a pony cart stated that the cliffs were straight across from the light and that we would see the lighthouse if we had a clear day at the cliffs. We had a very clear day at the cliffs and could see the light quite well

Eric
Re: Ireland #64369 04/11/09 02:45 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks Eric - that is good to know.

Re: Ireland #64370 05/14/09 06:33 PM
ginnyanne Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Rosalie, I have the same picture from the Cliffs of Moher and our "steerologist" (tour guide) said it was Inisheer. Our trip (July 07) was special because we had our own tour group. 38 family and friends, our own tour bus and guide, and itinerary. For the most part, the family let me set the itinerary. I insisted on Hook Head. It was about an hour from Waterford. We reached a fork in the road and followed the arrow that pointed to the right for Hook Head. We had already spotted it at a distance. 45 minutes later we finally reached it! As it turns out, we should have gone the other way - it was only 20 minutes!! My family starting hollering "Whose idea was this?!!". I was getting excited. Finally, we got there and it was well worth it. This light must be one of the oldest in the world. The tour was fun. Of course, the view was fantastic. At some point along the rest of the trip, everyone told me how much they enjoyed going to Hook Head! I'll send some pics when I get back home. I'm still with my daughter and my new grandson.
Ginny

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users