Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
More mini lighthouse excursions #64248 04/18/99 10:48 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Last Wednesday, insignificant other and I went to the Rochester, NY area. We saw Charlotte Genesee and Braddock Point lights. The Shanklins' book also mentions a Rochester Harbor light. Saw a couple of lights atop red and white striped poles at the end of breakwaters, one in the Irondequoit area and one near the Charlotte Genesee light so maybe 'twas one of them?

Today son-in-law and I went "hawking" at Derby Hill on Lake Ontario and after drove a few miles further north to --- (drum roll, please) SELKIRK LIGHT!!! There was another one of the red and white striped affairs at the end of another pier! Unfortunately the van was not there. Actually nothing was there. The gift shop, however, which was in another building was open. Although this light is not officially open to visitors, the woman working the counter said it is possible to go inside when they don't have overnight guests. If you haven't already visited the Selkirk Light website you may want to check it out. It has some neat old photos and postcard views. Also it has a schedule of when the lighthouse is "booked". The woman in the shop said they are now booking a year in advance.

http://www.maine.com/lights/

Of "coarse" Tim Capone's site has pictures and info on all the lights of the Seaway Trail.

http://home.earthlink.net/~timcapone/

While Braddock Point is privately owned I was able to gain permission to walk onto the property by calling the owners. They are Mr. & Mrs. Robert Thulin (716)392-8083. Mrs. Thulin was very nice only asking me if I was going to use my phographs professionally. She should know I haven't yet figured out how to even get them into the forums!

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 04-18-99).]

Re: More mini lighthouse excursions #64249 07/03/99 02:06 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users