Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Headed West on Thursday #64202 08/26/02 08:33 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
My husband and I are going to San Fran for several days this coming weekend. Since the area is one of my favorite parts of the US, thought we'd go and celebrate my upcoming b'day while I had a few days off. Altho' my travels have had me here numerous times, I never get tired of going.

Friday morning, we will get the thrill of climbing the lighthouse on Alcatraz. Then we will head south..don't know exactly how far we will go, but know for sure we will be eating dinner at one of my favorite spots, Fifi's in Pacific Grove. Plan on taking some inland roads from San Fran since I found some info telling about area that were used in one of my favorite films of all time, Vertigo.

Saturday morning we will be at the gate at Pt. Sur in plenty of time to be included on the 10am tour and then head back to Pt. Pinos, Pigeon Pt, Montara, and San Fran again.

Sunday morning we explore Pt. Reyes and in the afternoon, Pt. Bonita. Does anyone have great directions to the lighthouse in Oakland, as well as the lightship? Tried my best to see Yerba Buena again, but security is tight. Then home on Monday.

Short amount of time, but we are looking forward to just being away.

Does anyone know a good restaurant in the area of the Golden Gate Bridge or Sausilito?

This is an early greeting, but all you all have a great Labor Day weekend.

Derith

Re: Headed West on Thursday #64203 08/26/02 08:53 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Here is Oakland Harbor . The lighthship is now berthed at Jack London Square in Oakland, as I recall. It is just off the same road as the lighthouse.

Dave

Re: Headed West on Thursday #64204 08/26/02 11:43 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Hope you and Jerry have a great trip Derith! Be sure to let us know how it went. smile

Re: Headed West on Thursday #64205 08/27/02 12:11 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like fun Derith, hope the two of you have a great trip! I know you will tell us all about it! We will all be waiting for your report!!!

Re: Headed West on Thursday #64206 09/03/02 11:56 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Will make this report short and sweet. The trip was a good one and we saw a lot of CA the three days we were there.

We spent the first night(Thursday) in Oakland, the airport there is so easy to get in and out of...won't fly into SF airport, ever again. Up early on Friday morning and were on the 9:30 ferry out to Alcatraz. My birthday wish was granted by the park service and I was granted a tour up the lighthouse. That is not a normal happening, so I felt very honored. Those of you that know me best, will find it hard to believe that I actually climbed the aluminum ladder that goes up to the lightning rod area of the light. But, there is a cage around the area in case I fell. The view of the bay was AWESOME! At 10:00am there was almost no fog.

After that experience, we headed for Big Basin and the redwoods that I promised my husband he could see. The drive was a real doozie, but we enjoyed the beautiful trees. Spent the night in Monterey...got to eat at one of my favorite places, Fifi's, in Pacific Grove.

Saturday morning, we were up bright and early and headed out to Sur. Our car was in line at 9:15. It didn't take long for a group of us to gather. The tour was great and it was wonderful to see all the restoration work the folks have done. Back to Pt. Pinos, which I had seen, but had not gone in....Emily Fish is smiling up in Heaven. Such love and tender care goes on to keep that light a shining example of restoration and dedication to the cause. I was able to meet several docents I have been emailing which made that stop all the more special.

Jerry and I made an early morning decision to get to Fort Bragg for the night so he would get a chance to experience US 1. So, we headed North and were able to get a room in the Holiday Inn Express our group is going to stay in next July.
Sunday morning was a beautiful morning and we were up early and on the road. Our firt stop Pt. Cabrillo. The lighting was beautiful and the deer were everywhere as we rode down to the light. Again, restoration at its finest!

The car headed South and when we got to Arena it was fogged in.....it still was 30 minutes later after I had spent money at Rollerville Junction. So, we moved on toward Pt. Reyes. The highway was so gorgeous and very little fog after leaving Arena. Since it was Labor Day weekend, there were lots of folks at Pt. Reyes. The climb back up was slow....I really felt the after effects today.
No fog....so on to Pt. Bonita....well, we didn't make the tour time, arriving 10 minutes after the tunnel was closed. I called them, but got no help..when they close at 3:30, they close at 3:30.
The view from the fort was wonderful as was the view from the Presidio side of the bridge.

Dinner at Ghirardelli Square and over the Bay Bridge to Oakland. We had a great time.
I did take lots of photos, but haven't had them developed yet.
Derith

Re: Headed West on Thursday #64207 09/04/02 01:07 AM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Thanks Derith, I can`t wait to see some of those pics. :^)

Re: Headed West on Thursday #64208 09/05/02 02:39 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Thanks Derith can't wait til tomorrow. Off to the Fall Regional, and Point Bonita, Lightship Relief, and hopefully East Brothers Island. I have missed getting through the tunnel by 10 minutes before myself. I also missed it because of wind rain which closed the tunnel. I hope the third times a charm. Looking forward toseeing your pictures.

Dale

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users