Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64137 01/06/05 11:05 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I don't know if it's because I disrupted the stroll down memory lane, or the list has been slower the last few days, but I decided to seperate this from the other topic as people may never make it to the bottom if the topic of hockey in Utah doesn't appeal to them.

Since the post is so long (and my typing so slow), please see Lighthouse Plans for 2005 II (or something like that) under this catagory of The Map Room, and the last post for the details of the request for some advice on the best lights to visit on our vacations this year.

Thanks,
Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64138 01/06/05 03:37 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Steve, the best way for ask for suggestions on lighthouse trips is to post it as a separate topic, not as part of another thread. So, to make it easier for people to respond to your specific request for ideas, here is the original post you made:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigbird:
Boy, did I get in on the wrong end of the train or what?? eek eek

I don't know if I should be the last to comment, or the first to re-direct us on topic wink !

Anyway, I'm thinking that our plans for vaca- tion(s) will carry us to Bald Head and Oak Island, NC; then after a few days in Myrtle Beach, maybe to Hunting Island, SC on the way to Savannah, GA and Tybee Island; then, on the second one, go through NJ where we will try and see some if they aren't too far off the beaten path on the way to Portsmouth Harbor, NH, then into Maine to Lighthouse Depot and at least Cape Neddick (Nubble); then into the White Mountains of NH. Now, obviously, that's alot of travel for 9 or 10 days, but what lights along the way (other than NC and Sullivan's Island which we've seen) are close to the best path of travel from the SE coast of VA? We've been to Portland and up to Bar Harbor about eek 10 yrs. ago (sheesh, that long confused ), so we're not going much further than Wells (or Biddiford) and don't have time to take those 1/2 day excursions (like Pemaquid), nor take boat trips either.

Any ideas, suggestions? Someone suggested saving time over I-95 and taking the Lewes Ferry to save time, but though that takes us up by several lights, and would be more relaxing, to me, that's adding time!?!

Steve

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64139 01/06/05 03:44 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm not sure if you are looking for suggestions on just the north bound trip, or both.

On your trip south, I presume you also plan to view Cockspur Island, on the way to Tybee. Hunting Island is a very pretty setting, and is near Beaufort which is a wonderful old city.

While in the Oak Island area, have you seen the Prices Creek Light? Takes a ferry ride, but you may be able to work that into your travel plans.

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64140 01/06/05 10:13 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Steve,

My best suggestion would be to get (if you don't already have it) the book "Atlantic Coast Lighthouses A Traveler's Guide" by Kenneth Kochel, Revised and Updated by Jeremy D'Entremont.

All the lighthouses are in there so between studying that and surfing the web for additional information you should be able to pick out which lighthouses you'd like to see that would fit into your schedule.

I've only been to some of the New York and New England lights as far as Portland along your route. If you have any specific questions on any of those feel free to ask.

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64141 01/07/05 01:21 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Thanks Dave for making that simpler for me! laugh

I kinda jumbled that up so it was hard for me to decipher and I know what I meant. :rolleyes:

Alright, I need to check on Cockspur but don't know if we'll have time for the ferry ride to Price's Creek. Isn't that a ruin more than a light house confused . Anyways, if we take the Lewes/Cape May Ferry, we have 4 or 5 (or more along those "capes", but I know we won't have time to take the ferry and hit 5 or so light houses and still get to Portsmouth Harbour, then to Wells and Biddeford, along with Nubble and whatever else is visible in that vicinity in a matter of two days (and see Lighthouse Depot) eek

I'm open for more suggestions, but will work on the ones that ya'll gave. It would help if there was a calculator on-line that computed driving-ferry-backroad travel, etc. time so you'd know if you can hit Cape May, Absecon, Barnaget and Sea Girt in one day, then use your checks and balances to narrow down or bulk up your itenerary. frown

Oh well, thanks.

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64142 01/07/05 02:16 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Steve,

You will drive past the spot to view Cockspur when you drive to Tybee. Stop to take pics and you have added 15 minutes to that trip. If you have time, the fort is a well preserved and presented piece of history.

Prices Creek is more ruin than not, threw it in the mix in case you are on a quest to "see them all".

I use MS Streets & Trips to help plan trips. Gives you timelines and it has generally been fairly accurate on drive times and such. You can build in how long to stop at each place. You could do the same for the ferry. I just plotted the trip from Lewes to Cape May, and S&T allows 1 hr 17 min. Checking the ferry web site, it says the trip is 80 minutes, so the program is pretty much on the money. You would have to factor into the program what time the ferry was scheduled to leave. S&T is available from Sams Club for about $25, and is well worth the money.

In NJ, I would say you really need to stop at the Cape May light. It is very well cared for and you are allowed to climb when it is open.

In New England, several lights are not too far off the highway and are worth a visit if you have not been there previously. Stonington is one of them. I'll leave the door open here for Sandy, Bob, Bert and other locals to add their suggestions.

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64143 01/07/05 02:20 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Steve, summer before last my daughter and I did the following on a Saturday:

Left her apartment in Cambridge, MA in the am, later than I wanted to. Took the most direct route to Wells, ME. Ate very late breakfast at the diner across the road, where we had to wait to get a seat. Did Lighthouse Depot. Got back on the highway and went directly to Portland. Toured the Portland Observatory. Headed back south to Portland Breakwater. Lost a bit of time before I figured out the way I thought not to go was the way to go. Saw that one and headed south again to Spring Point Ledge which is real close. Then we continued south to Portland Head where you also can see Ram Island Ledge. Probably could have seen more lights too if we hadn't left the binoculars in the car way up the hill. South again to Cape Elizabeth Twin Lights. Looked for the other road south of the lights where you can see the active light from below. Took the wrong road and then found the correct one. Wasn't such a great view after all. South one more time to Goat Island. That took some time. Getting kind of dark now. We'd skipped Wood Island due to our later than I wanted start. Ate dinner in Kennebunkport, returned to highway and returned to Cambridge.

The previous year on a late spring Sunday she and I did the following:

Left Cambridge and headed north towards Newburyport. Stopped to eat at some diner. Must have been another late start as I remember it was a tuna sandwich. Saw the Newburyport Harbor Range Lights. Seems we got a bit messed up getting off the highway to get to town but we made it ok. Drove out to the Newburyport Harbor (Plum Island) Lighthouse. This took a while but not bad. Leaned on a fence and broke it. Well maybe it was already broken. Returned to the highway and went north to Portsmouth. Stopped at the nursing home to see Connie Small who wasn't in. Drove out to the lighthouse at Ft. Constitution. You can see Whaleback here too and I "think" I saw Isles of Shoals way out in the distance. The Coasties are friendly here. Headed north again to Nubble. Think we got on 1-A for a while. Don't do that unless you want scenic and very slow. Did Nubble and had a bite to eat in York Beach. I remember it was 4pm then. Returned via the quick route to Cambridge.

Another summer weekend daytrip we made was to head south from Cambridge to Fall River, MA to see Borden Flats Lighthouse. We got lost in town but eventually found it. Got a ride out close to the lighthouse with the harbormaster. Went to New Bedford where we saw the three lighthouses and two lightships. Ate lunch in town and took a mini walking tour. Went east to Ned Point Lighthouse and east again to see Bird Island. Can't get too close a view of this one. Returned to Boston for dinner.

Now these wouldn't be your routes but I just posted it to give you an idea of time. In general I've found that you can usually see more that you think you can, unless you're riding with my daughter who turns right when you tell her to turn left! laugh

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64144 01/07/05 09:47 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If you take the lewes stop off first at fenwick.It's on the way north. In nj go to cape
may not even a half hour away. Then hereford (make u turn on GSP to get to exit 5 Easier then exit 4)its abou 15 min. Absecon is about 15 min of Atlantic City Expressway(follow signs to Showboat)(Check when it is open. Barneget is a long ride and the sun is right behind lite at 12:00 Hard pic.In con Black Rock Harbor Not far from turnpike but a 20 min walk on large rocks and beach(not hard)THen Five mile point but dont remeber how far of turnpike. Easy once you get there. Stoningto is about 20 min off tnpke,Every time I goits a tough pic always in shadow.RI Watch hill, Point Judith, Beavertail and Newport Harbor.Most of the others you need a boat or long walk. I hope this helps.

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64145 01/07/05 10:45 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sorry left out Seagirt afterAbsecon always comes out as a nice pic.
Fran

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64146 01/07/05 11:02 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Yes, Sea Girt definitely makes a nice pic. Neat angle I just discovered: at the end of Ocean Ave., there is a big retaining wall with a dune behind it. If you walk up this dune, you can get some very unique shots of the light. smile

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64147 01/08/05 11:17 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
If you walk up this dune, you can get some very unique shots of the light.
Good to see you're "moving your feet" as is always suggested by Paul Brady.

smile Bob smile

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64148 01/09/05 12:59 PM
Grover Offline
Not only moving your feet, but sometimes bending at the knees ...

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64149 01/09/05 01:28 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hey, wow, I have to remember that one, too! I can't believe it took me this long to discover these angles of MY lighthouse! eek

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64150 01/09/05 02:42 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
That's a nice view of Seagirt Barry. smile

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64151 01/09/05 04:27 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well done Barry! Now there are two things to remember, "Move your feet" and 'Bend your knees." I just love all these ideas we get from the greats here on the forums. Whenever I go out I try to put as many of the ideas that I can to good use while "lighthousing". Keep the photo's and the idea's coming.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64152 01/10/05 12:24 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
There's a lot to be learned here at CF regarding the various possibilities when photographing lighthouses. I know I've learned a lot just by viewing the photos posted here throughout the years.

smile Bob smile

Re: Lighthouses to visit as a side trip this in 2005 #64153 01/11/05 11:08 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Thanks to all that posted! laugh Some I have already seen (ie. Cape elizabeth, Portland Head, Springpoint Ledge) and some sound like more to do than time allotted. I'll look and see if BJ's carries that program as I'm not a member of Sam's amd don't frequent Wal-Mart.

I was looking a Stratford Point also since our first nights stay is in Milford, CT. I also noticed that the NJ tour, which my girlfriend is shying away from now (the ferry that is) has Cape May, Hereford, Barnegat, Absecon, Sea Girt, Navesink and Sandy Hook, but that seems like too much with the ferry and getting to Milford. Also, it seems like after hitting Portsmouth Harbor and Lighthouse depot, then Cape Neddick and wondering about Goat Island (time wise and view) so maybe we can see a couple of more before stopping overnight in Biddiford (depending on ease of viewing and finding and travel time. Then it's going to be to the White Mountains.

Maybe some on the way back, but that also depends on what you can get to easily off of I-95.

Steve

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users