Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Original Dealers #6391 02/29/00 02:20 PM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Does anyone know if the HL "family" has any form of recognition for the original HL dealers, those that have been with them since the begining. I think all the dealers are to be praised (what would we do without them!) but especially any that have stayed on board for say 6+ years. Is there a plaque or certifacate or anything to "honor" them? Who are some of the "first" dealers?

Re: Original Dealers #6392 02/29/00 05:17 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Don't know if they've been formally recognized (by HL) for their commitment, but I give a BIG THUMBS UP for Chris & Merete at Scan Trends in San Francisco, CA!

Re: Original Dealers #6393 02/29/00 06:37 PM
J
Jim Johnston Offline
J
As far as Wisconsin goes, Oscar's in Appleton and Milaeger's in Racine, started with the original 17. Thanks for keeping the lights.

Re: Original Dealers #6394 02/29/00 07:39 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
What a great topic! It would be interesting to see who the original dealers were. Maybe that question could probably be answered by those dealers having an autoship of two digit edition numbers, then three digit after that. I know my dealer usually gets a few of each in the low 400's. I don't think he was in it from the begining.

Bob

Re: Original Dealers #6395 02/29/00 08:21 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The low digit numbers were not assigned to a particular store or in a particular order, in the beginning.

The auto-ship numbers idea basically started with some dealers wanting the same numbers for their collectors. There is a very long story behind the auto-ship numbers. Basically there was an unofficial list that became the start of the official list. The dealers on the unofficial list were grandfathered in being at the front of the list and the amount of lighthouses that they would receive on auto-ship (more than two). The dealers added on to the original list were able to get only two auto-ships per store and that is still what most dealers get on the first time around.

Now to the point, some of the original dealers were not ever on the unofficial list. That means their auto-ships could easily be triple and maybe even quadruple digit lighthouses.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Original Dealers #6396 02/29/00 11:19 PM
V
vsnlex Offline
V
I too like the idea of some type Dealer recognition for being a solid enough dealer to have lasted the first 6-7 years. Lots of business have 5-10-15 year recognitions etc. Perhaps Bill could travel the country over a several year period and bring a nice plaque or something with a light and engraved plate to that dealer and at that time he could be involved with a store event, signing, displays etc. Heck...lets have "parties" all over the US!

Terry
Re: Original Dealers #6397 03/01/00 12:05 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
I would like to say thanks to Peregoy's in Wilmington, DE still with HL today

Thanks much to Bob and Wife from Lonnie

Lonnie
Re: Original Dealers #6398 03/01/00 12:48 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Several months ago I asked if a list of the dealers who were with HL for the first and second year was available. HL office said no such list existed. I have shopped at only two that I know were, Lighthouse Gallery in Nags Head, NC and Oakman's in Reno, NV. Both are still going strong in selling HL....I want to thank them both for being so cordial to lighthouse lovers.
Derith

Re: Original Dealers #6399 03/01/00 02:48 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Collectors Showcase in Washington state has been with HL from the start; we were fortunate enough to get all of the original 17 as they became available. We have purchased 90% or more of our pieces from this one dealer and truly appreciate the support they have given us over the years; we share information with them and they with us; a wonderful friendship has been formed. When we returned from each reunion we made sure we brought back some keepsake for them too. If there is a special recognition available through HL, I would certainly nominate this dealer.
Darlene

Re: Original Dealers #6400 03/01/00 09:38 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
I'd like to say two thumbs up for Maresas Candleight Gift Shop in Port Jefferson. Don't know if she has been with Harbour Lights from the start but she is friendly helpful and courteous.

Re: Original Dealers #6401 03/01/00 03:44 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Our favorite dealer here in Denver is Connie's Hallmark. We get all our HLs there
now. They are not "charter" dealer but have been carrying the line for at least 5 years.

The dealer were we got our first HL was a "charter" dealer. Unfortunately, they have gone out of business. In any case, we would like to give cudos to the former staff of
Kathie's Import Chalet in Englewood, CO. Great folks and we were happy to take their
picture crowded around Bill Y. at their signing event last year.

------------------
Randall & Linda Ronne

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Original Dealers #6402 03/01/00 03:45 PM
Brent Offline
Excellent topic & idea. I've bought most of my HL's from the Lighthouse Depot in Wells, Maine. This goes back about 7 years or so. They weren't the first HL's that I purchased, however. Unfortunitely, dealing with a mail-order firm, you don't have that personal "touch", in most cases, as you do with over-the-counter companies but I must say....LD's catalog has a first-rate HL layout and they've never messed up a single order. Considering their volumn, they do a pretty good job with the HL line of products! Tim Harrison, and the folks up there are pretty nice.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Original Dealers #6403 03/01/00 07:16 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thank you, Mr. Brady, for that very informative reply.

Bob

Re: Original Dealers #6404 03/01/00 09:43 PM
RFoster Offline
Hats off to Gail Grillo and the people at The Marvel Shop in New London, CT. I believe that they were with Harbour Lights very early on, if not from the beginning. You couldn't ask for a better dealer then Marvel Shop not only because they are so nice but also, Gail collects all of the lighthouses herself. It's nice to have a dealer who really knows the product and gets as excited about it as the customer.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Original Dealers #6405 03/01/00 09:55 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Great topic Greydawn!

My local dealer was not an origional but has been selling HL's for over five years. Bruce at A Family Affair is a great guy and likes to talk collectibles. He was the one that shared with me first the David Winters connection with HL's family. He's on auto ship with numbers 580 and 581 I have several of those numbers in my collection.

I now get number 93 thanks to St. Paul's help. Not sure if my new dealer was origional, but they have been selling for a long time. To late to call them today but will tomorrow and update this then.

Dale

Re: Original Dealers #6406 03/04/00 01:03 AM
RRohweder Offline
I can't let this topic go away without adding Kathy Trethewey at the Christmas Wreath Gift Shop at Samoa, CA. She may very well have been an original dealer. I know I got my first HL from her in 1992.

She has been super about notifying me when a new light comes in. But more important, she's become a good friend. She even loaned me a lighthouse from a different manufacturer to help my display at our local college. The guy who ran the library recommended a lighthouse that flashed to attract peoples eyes to the display. So Kathy took one off of her shelf and loaned it to me till the exhibit ends next weekend.

Rich

------------------

Re: Original Dealers #6407 03/06/00 05:49 PM
LamarB Offline
I'd like to add Edgewater Treasures at the Jacksonville Landing and The Bronze Lady. I'm told they were the first in Florida and among the first dealers on the East Coast.

I've dealt with Edgewater Treasures for several years and they truly are a great asset to Harbour Lights.

Re: Original Dealers #6408 03/07/00 01:01 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Within the Harbour Lights family it seems to me there's never been a question asked that at least one person couldn't answer or a product mentioned that didn't have at least one person who was knowledgeable of its history. I don't know what year HL published its first dealer listing, but I'm sure someone does. I'm equally sure that at least one person has a copy of that first list. If you're that person and would consider fax'ing me a copy of the list I would be happy to run a match against the current list and display the common names. The other option, of course, would be to spend a minute or two and call all of the dealers on the current list and simply ask them what year they became dealers. ....... I sure hope someone has a copy of the list.

Re: Original Dealers #6409 03/07/00 01:54 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Gary,

I don't know for sure when the first dealer list was published, or assembled. I suspect the first list generally available to collectors was 1995. I think it came with the Collector's Society membership materials.

I have the lists from January'95, Summer'96, June'97, and May'98. In 1999 the dealer list went online and I don't know if a paper copy was distributed.

Rick

Re: Original Dealers #6410 03/07/00 01:58 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Dale, your New Dealer was not only one of the very first Harbour Lights dealers but she was also a David Winter Cottages dealer before Harbour Lights was even started. A guy named Bill was heavily involved with David Winter Cottages in America... I believe he was the distributor on this side of the pond.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users