Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hudson River Lighthousing #64085 09/20/99 11:26 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I.O. and I went to see some of the Hudson River lights this past weekend.

We left Saturday morning heading east, then south along the west side of the river.

We first went down to the river in Coxsackie to see if we could figure out where the lighthouse had been. Guess we saw the island it had been on but not the exact location.

We then drove out 4 Mile Point Road to see if we could locate the former keeper's house of this long gone light. We think we did.

Next we went to Athens where, thanks to Mike, the Lightkeeper, and his fellow members of the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society, we were able to visit the light. They have done a wonderful job repairing and preserving this light. It was a real pleasure to be able to see it and to meet my first fellow Wacko!

After a quick bite to eat we high-tailed it down to Saugerties, parked the car and walked out to the light. We were warmly welcomed by the staff and given a 1st class tour. A climb up to and out of the lantern room afforded a wonderful view of the very brown river (because of heavy rain from Floyd). I was further enticed to purchase the Saugerties HL which had been on my wish list and which they just happened to have for sale. Now why there is no rail around the lantern room on this HL is a mystery when it is obviously there????

We had planned to visit the Kingston-Rondout Light but a call from Saugerties informed us that the boat they use to transport folks to the light had broken down and it was not possible to get to it. We did drive to Kingston and were able to see it from shore, by only slightly trespassing! There was a breakwater that had the largest rocks I've ever seen and decided not to try to walk out any closer.

We had planned to stay overnight in Kingston but rather than ask directions to motels I.O. drove around until we were hopelessly lost. After some time we wound up in New Paltz (founded by French Hugenots, one of who's name was LeFevre)! Motel rooms here were scarce as lots of folks were still without power due to the hurricane. We did find a room, although the accomodations left much to be desired. Dinner at the Bacchaus(sp?) Restaurant in downtown New Paltz was good, building originally built by one of those LeFevre's.

Seeing that our round-about route had completly bypassed Esopus, I phoned Pat Ralston of the Save Esopus Lighthouse Commission to ask her if we could view the lighthouse from the east side of the river. She was very helpful, telling me that we could indeed see it from the lawn of the Mills Mansion in Staatsburg. Now this is one lawn that you don't want to have to mow. The mansion is up on top of a hill and the lawn goes all the way down to the river. I took off charging down the hill to get as close as I could. The lighthouse is still pretty far away but you can see the front view of it from this spot.

En route to the Mills Mansion we stopped off at the FDR Home and the Vanderbuilt Mansion which I had seen and toured previously. After, we stopped at Olana, home of Hudson River School artist Frederick E. Church. We didn't do the tour as we also went to Lindenwald, retirement home of Martin VanBuren, (8th President of US) a bit south of Kinderhook. We did go through this place ($2) which was ok but Olana would have been better (for $3)!

If you ever have a chance to visit the Hudson Valley there is a lot to see besides the lighthouses.

Now I.O. is getting really cranky after all this historical stuff so we quit and head for Albany so that he can visit his daughter and see his newest granddaughter (3 weeks old). This calms him down which makes the journey home much more enjoyable.

Perfect weather sandwiched in-between rainy days made for a great weekend!

(pictures to follow)

Mombo

Re: Hudson River Lighthousing #64086 09/21/99 01:00 AM
DeDo Offline
Hi Mombo,

Sounds like a great trip! I met Mike the Lightkeeper on my solo trip to Hudson-Athens in July. Better half was playing golf that day. Trip is about 2 1/2 hrs. from my home. I went up & back the same day, your over-night sounds like more fun than all my driving that day.
We saw & climbed Kingston Labor day Saturday on our way to Saratoga. Those partners always need other diversions but as long as I get to see my lighthoues I'm happy. We haven't viewed Esophus Meadows yet. That will be another trip upstate.
Saugerties we saw Memorial wkend. I like the way you saw so much in one wkend. Too bad about the boat at Kingston. Where in NY did you start from?

Donna

Re: Hudson River Lighthousing #64087 09/21/99 02:15 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
We visited Hudson River Valley early July on our way to Maine. It is a mostenjoyable area. We did get serious rain one day, but worked around it. We were able to visit Saugerties (on July 4th), finally found the road to get to view Esopus Meadows, got out to Kingston on the 2nd try (also kinda trespassed probably about where Mombo was- a scrap yard next to the fire department launch?) and were able to view the H-A light. Unfortunately, the light was to be open the following weekend when we were in Maine.

We also visited my aunt and cousin and her husband in Saratoga Springs (they own the Downtowner Motel). Another really neat city - so much to do. I can see another visit to this area sometime!

Dave

Re: Hudson River Lighthousing #64088 09/21/99 02:33 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Donna: I'm from Syracuse area.

Dave: Yup same place, kinda scrappy. There was a barge tied up at the end of the pier that sort of blocked the view of the light but I didn't want to walk all the way out to the end on those humungus rocks! I've stayed at the Downtowner!

Mombo

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 871 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users