Print Thread
Do you know where Marcus Hook RR, DE. is?? #64006 09/08/01 12:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have looked around the web for some decent direction to Marcus Hook Rear Range Light in Belfonte, DE. I have a mapquest map of the general area. If you have been there and maybe can shed some light on a more exact location, Check the map and try to give a couple cross streets please.

Marcus Hook Rear Range, DE.
Never mind the star on the picture, I see there is a lighthouse road there. but it is suppose to be next to a channel (which I don't see on the map)

I am putting together street level maps of all the lighthouses I will be visiting in tandem with the reunion, I have 8 so far for DE. and 12 for NJ. is anybody else interested in these?? If so I'll put together a list of all the mapquest links. I can't post the mapquest images because of the copyrights, but you can save the images as .gif's if you want.

Thanks for any help, Mark
[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 09-07-2001).]

Re: Do you know where Marcus Hook RR, DE. is?? #64007 09/08/01 12:52 AM
Larry Offline
If you find Marcus Hook (front and/or rear), please let me know. I live about an hour from Wilmington, and would love to take a little day trip. Those two and Bellevue (which is at a garbage dump I believe, no thank you) are the only land based/viewable Deleware lights I haven't seen.

Liston Front Range may be hard to add to your list as well. It is down a street labeled "Residents and Guests Only". I drove down the road (being neither a resident, nor a guest...bad Larry). There is a private driveway that I believe leads to the light. The trees hide the light. (Despite the urging from my wife, I didn't drive down the driveway...good Larry?) You may be able to see the top of the light above the trees while on DE Route 9 approaching from the south. This is what I ran across in June when I was over there. I didn't take any pictures then, and we were really tired, and I wasn't sure at the time if I was looking at the right thing (which I was), so it was all real fuzzy.

However, this past Wednesday, on our way to Dover to drop some quarters in the slot machines (and luckily $200 more than I put in came back out), we headed SOUTH on RT 9. Just past the little village of Port Penn, you will come to a sandy shore (Augustine Beach maybe?) along the bay. If you look down the shore line across the water , you can see the lighthouse. Bring your telephoto lens, because it will be tiny (I had my 200mm and it still seemed tiny). We tried going further south and trying to get a closer look, but the police had the road blocked off, so I had to turn around. (I'm still wondering how the giant RV towing the car that I passed going the other direction turned around.) After you leave the sandy beach area, you won't be able to see the light anymore, as the marsh grasses are too tall. But like I said, you should be able to see the lantern room over the trees further down the road.

And while in Deleware, DO NOT skip Mispillion. It's my ABSOLUTELY favorite light. It's so creepy.

Let me know if you need more detailed directions to any others. I might be able to help.

[This message has been edited by Larry (edited 09-07-2001).]

Re: Do you know where Marcus Hook RR, DE. is?? #64008 09/08/01 01:11 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Mark, that light was on Rod's itinerary last year. You could email him for directions.
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000206.html

Re: Do you know where Marcus Hook RR, DE. is?? #64009 09/08/01 02:06 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Here you go Mark. We were slightly misoriented coming into downtown Wilmington, but eventually got our bearings straight. It Is located on Lighthouse Road, between Haines and Lore Avenues (see below maps). Quite a different looking tower. Reminds me a bit of Charleston Light, but in a drab cream color. It's sandwiched between houses, but you can get a good shot up close with 28 to 55mm lens range. The further away you are, the worse it gets due to tall trees. Anything above 55mm will probably not get the whole tower, it is pretty tall:

Terraserver Topo Map: Look for the "lighthouse" designation in the middle of the map. It is located exactly where it shows it!
Terraserver Topo Map

MapQuest Street Map: The "star" marks the approximate location. It is actually on the northwest side of the road, and closer to Lore Avenue than the "star" designates.
MapQuest Street Map

Larry, hit the Bellevue Rear Range Light sometime. I actually enjoyed the little adventure through the landfill, and it is a very historic tower. I agree with finding Liston Front Range and Mispillion, well worth the effort.
Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 09-08-2001).]

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,091 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users