cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Seven Point Saturday" #63973 07/14/02 12:14 AM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
We have had a lovely few days of weather here in Maryland, so last night we decided to take a trip to Southern Maryland. Believe it or not, at the age of 38 and having lived here my entire life, I have never "been" to Southern Maryland. Driven through, but never "been".

It was a little cloudy when we left for our 3 1/2 hour drive. Along the way, driving down I-895 to the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, you can see the Lazaretto Point Lighthouse. We didn't photograph it, as we were travelling 55 mph. We've seen it many times, but still don't have a picture.

We finally made it down to Piney Point Lighthouse, a little after noon. It was still a little cloudy. While in the gift shop, I heard someone say "Harbour Lights Group". It turned out that the "Beacons of the Bay" Harbour Lights club was having a meeting there today. I chatted with them about membership and found out that Chesapeake Byran and Hal & Betty Dean were members. A few minutes later, I met Bryan. Good to meet you Bryan. Got some good digital pictures, I haven't put the film in yet. Here's the best of my Piney Points:

After Piney Point, it was off to Point Lookout. On the road to Point Lookout, you can see the Point No Point Lighthouse WAAAAAYYYY off in the distance on the Bay. I rigged up my 200mm lens an 1.4x converter and a 2.0x converter and leaned on a sign as a makeshift tripod (since I didn't bring one). I'm not sure how those pictures will turn out. I hope okay. Anyway, Point Lookout is hard to photograph, being behind a chain link fence as it is:

I took this one, too, but I'm not sure if I like it (opinions welcome):

Then we headed for the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons, MD, where you can see the Drum Point Lighthouse, and catch a shuttle over to the Cove Point Lighthouse. This is a very nice museum with two very nice lights, in a very nice little town. I think we may go back to Solomons for a weekend sometime.

We ate dinner at a very nice restaurant on Solomons Island called, of all things, "The Lighthouse Inn". It has excellent food. We highly recommend it. Sit outdoors and watch the boats.

On the way home, we crossed over the Francis Scott Key Bridge and saw the Fort Carroll Light (such that it barely remains). Seen it lots of times before.

So there you have it, twelve hours, seven lights and seven Points.

[This message has been edited by Larry (edited 07-14-2002).]

Re: "Seven Point Saturday" #63974 07/14/02 01:07 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Nice pics Larry! Glad to finally meet you. Its nice to finally put a face with a name.

Re: "Seven Point Saturday" #63975 07/14/02 01:38 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for taking us along and pointing out all the lights for us! Very nice pictures, especially the chain link one!

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,132 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users