cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oregon and Washington Lights #63918 03/09/99 02:20 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi folks,

I'm about to embark on another excellent adventure, this time to the Pacific North West. I'll have a few extra days in the area and plan to stop at all the lights I can. I plan to start at Cape Blanco and drive north to Cape Flattery, then spend some time on and around Puget Sound. I welcome all suggestions for such a venture. Thank you to those of you who have helped out already via chat room and e-mail.

Specifically, I'd like advice about the following:

Can you recommend a good, current Northwestern lighthouse guide book?

Is Cape Flattery accessible? I think it's on an Indian reservation. Is it even still standing? It's quite a bit out of the way, but I'm willing to drive if it's worth it.

What should I plan on as an average speed going up Highway 101? Is 45 mph reasonable considering all the towns, speed zones and traffic lights?

Can you recommend a place to stay and places to eat near Cape Blanco?

Can you recommend a place to stay and places to eat near Astoria?

Good places to eat in Tacoma?

Lighthouses that I "must see" in the area?

Lighthouses to avoid (is there such a thing?)

My planned lighthouse stops right now are:

Cape Blanco
Cape Arago
Umpqua River
Heceta Head
Yaquina Head
Cape Meares
Tillamook Rock
Cape Disappointment
North Head
Willapa Bay
Gray's Harbor
Destruction Island
Cape Flattery
Ediz Hook
New Dungeness
Smith Island
Mukilteo

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Art

-Art
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63919 03/10/99 10:10 PM
I
Iris Offline
I
I'm in the Seattle area. A recent vacation down the Oregon coast ignited my love of lights! My favorites are Heceta Head & Tilly Rock, although it's a beautiful drive to Cape Meares. For ave speed at this time of year, 45 mph is about right. I recommend staying in Cannon Beach or Seaside, OR. Dooger's is the best restaurant (one in each town which are 6 mi apart). Astoria has beautiful Victorian homes, but I can't really recommend a place to eat there, it's pretty small. If you can get some tourist stuff for Astoria, they have alot of B&B's in Vic homes.

I'll do some more research and check in later.

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63920 03/10/99 11:35 PM
RFoster Offline
Don't know the area Art. Just wanted to wish you luck and look forward to your report on the trip.

Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63921 03/10/99 11:38 PM
greed Offline
I am also doing the same trip for the second week of my honeymoon. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments on where to go. Please e-mail me with all or any suggestions. thanks-----

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63922 03/11/99 02:51 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Art,

Good luck on your trip. Take plenty of pictures (and batteries). If you venture further South, give us a holler.

Polly

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63923 03/11/99 06:24 PM
I
Iris Offline
I
Art, here's some more suggestions.

A good place to stay in Seaside, OR (20 min south of Astoria) is the Four Winds Motel. It's ocean front, a brisk 8 block walk down the "promenade" to town. Ask for the room on the top floor on the north end. It has a bay window with a view of Tillamook Head, gas fireplace, wet bar, microwave, etc. (www.fourwindsmotel.com)

Throughout OR is a chain of restaurants called "Mo's". Good seafood and chowder, casual dress and reasonable prices. There is a Mo's south of Cannon Beach, OR at Tolovana Park (3400 S. Hemlock) that has a view of Haystack Rock.

Ecola Park in Cannon Beach has good views of Tilly Rock.

Astoria Chamber of Commerce Phone# 1-800-875-6807.

In Tacoma there are many nice restaurants on the waterfront along Ruston Way. A favorite is the Lobster Shop at 4013 Ruston Way (253-759-2165) or the funkier Harbor Lights nearby. But as long as you've gone this far, I'd recommend the Lobster Shop at Dash Point (6912 Soundview Drive NE, Tacoma, Phone 253-874-5540) It's a little further north than Ruston Way, located in an old house in a quaint little neighborhood on the water. Always good seafood and excellent service. A bit pricy, expect entrees to start at $15.

About Cape Flattery near Neah Bay. The northern tip of the peninsula is the Makah Nation reservation. It is also a commercial fishing village, open to visitors. I don't know if there is a lighthouse there. I tried calling their tribal center all morning with no answer (360-645-2205). I'll leave you with the phone# to follow up on your own. My husband is part S'Klallam native (tribal center near Sequim, WA) so I can give you a few hints about visiting Neah Bay. Although the Makah tolerate visitors, there are definitely areas that are off limits. They have a wonderful museum that showcases artifacts from a fishing village buried in a mudslide 500 years ago. If you go, I'd recommend visiting the museum and chatting up the attendant. Makah are sometimes reluctant to provide directions to their beaches, etc., so establishing rapport with locals is essential. If you show genuine interest in the area and it's history, it helps. It's a beautiful drive and location, but be warned the village itself is pretty grim. It would not be a place to stay or eat, although there are some facilities there. Neah Bay has gotten alot of negative attention recently as the Makah prepared to exercise their tribal right to whale hunt. I think that's died down now, but they're still pretty sensitive to visitors.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy the NW.

Greed, I'll send you some honeymoon-worthy info on Washington state.

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63924 03/12/99 02:37 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow! Thank you, Iris! A wealth of information -- this will get me well on my way.

Thank you all for the well-wishes, too. I have about another month before I depart, so please feel free to continue to add to this thread. Not only for me of course, but for those who may follow too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

-Art

-Art
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63925 03/13/99 02:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Art,
Little late with this reply. Like others who responded, i am going to do this trip in July. I went from San Diego to point Arena last year and wanted to continue up the coast this year. The area is all new to me as I am from Florida.

We are just making our plans so your report will help me. I do have reservations at Heceta Head Bed and Breakfast one night.

I have used books by Brue Roberts and have found them very informative and helpful. He has many and each is about one area of lights. Barnes and Noble has them. I also have used this webpage: www.aracnet.com

Have a great time.

Derith Bennett

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63926 03/14/99 09:50 PM
G
Gayle M Offline
G
I am also in the Seattle area and have made many trips to the Oregon coast. I can recommend staying at the Ebb Tide (1-800-468-6232) in Seaside Oregon. I also recommend the Surfrider in Depoe Bay (1-800-662-2378). This is a real favorite of ours, it is also centrally located on the coast and you could travel up and down the state from one location. Art is still going in off season, so you may be able to get three nights for the price of two,etc. For those of you going this summer, you need to make reservations soon. The Oregon coast is a popular vacation spot.
I would include Coquille River on my stop Art, also Yaquina Bay and Yaquina Head are only two miles apart so I would see both while I was there. I have a lot of information on the coast so everyone feel free to email me also.
Gayle

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63927 03/14/99 11:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Art, Iris and Gayle,

Your information is getting me more excited than I was about going to this area. I do have some questions about the Seattle area. Would you, Iris and Gayle, send me you email address so I can send you my questions about the lights in the Seattle area.

Derith_Bennett@juno.com

Thanks

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63928 03/14/99 11:48 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Derith, all you have to do is to click on the yellow envelope above their post and you will get their e-mail address.

EngBrady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63929 03/15/99 01:42 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
I would include Coquille River on my stop Art, also Yaquina Bay and Yaquina Head are only two miles apart so I would see both while I was there.

Thanks Gayle,

How could I have missed those, being HLs and all? I see now that I missed Admiralty Head, too. Any others? Thanks.

-Art

-Art
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63930 03/15/99 06:53 PM
I
Iris Offline
I
More suggestions:

We've had the rainiest winter in 50 years, and it shows no sign of letting up. Washington weather is typically rainy thru June! Get a cheap rain slicker with a hood!

The OR coast is such an easy drive, 101 follows the coast, lights are well marked and usually close to, or right on 101. Heceta Head has a particularly nice viewpoint. Tourist accomodation are plentiful and good.

I hate to dis my own state, but you have to work a little harder to find and enjoy Washington's charms. Hwy 101 does not follow the coast, so it's not as scenic as OR. It wanders thru communities on the peninsula whose economies depend on the fishing and timber industries, which have both taken a beating in the last decade. I'm going to mention a few outstanding places to stay, as well as throw in a few extra things to see/do besides lights. I'm fairly new to light hunting and HL collecting.

After crossing the toll bridge from Astoria, OR your first light stop will be Ilwaco on the Long Beach peninsula. North Head Light is at Canby State Park. For $200 per night, 2 day minimum stay, you can stay at the keeper's house, which sleeps eight (PH 360-642-3078). Long Beach is a tourist town with lot's of accomodations. Two notable/expensive places to eat are the Shelbourne Inn at Seaview and The Ark at Nahcotta.

Further north up 101 in the middle of the peninsula is Lake Quinault, located in the rainforest. For the true NW experience, I highly recommend a stop or stay at Lake Quinault Lodge (349 S. Shore Road, Quinault WA 98575 PH: 360-288-2900). A rustic historic lodge (no TV or Phones in room) located on the lake' edge. They keep a fire going in the great room almost all year round. A wonderful place to relax and read or play board/card game the hotel keeps on hand. We have spent many a wedding anniversary here. The restaurant is wonderful, with a view of the Lake. Across the street are trail heads leading thru the rain forest. You can walk as much or as little as you like. The general store nearby sells "lattes" the state drink! Ask for a "single, tall" and choose a shot of flavored syrup and they'll think you're a native.

You don't have to be staying there to walk in and look around the area. Well worth it, and not far out of your way!

Further north up 101 is the Kalaloch Lodge, just north of Queets. Right on the water, it's a bunch of cabins, with an OK restaurant on the premises. Great sunsets in the summer. I couldn't find the # for reservations, but the restaurant# is 360-962-2271, I'm sure they can connect you. Ruby Beach nearby is popluar.

Continuing north, Forks is a small logging/fishing community with a few OK motels and less OK restaurants.

Following 101 towards Port Angeles, you will pass Lake Crescent Lodge, another historic lodge. (360-928-3211) I've never stayed here, but we always stop to visit the gift shop and examine the native basketry that decorates the lobby.

You're all probably more light literate that I, but for the record Dungeness Light is located at the end of a thin, 5 miles long sand spit, hiking it takes about 2 1/2 hours. Check tide tables before you go, otherwise at high tide you may have to scramble over the rocks that shore up the spit. I've never hiked out to the light (on my list of things to do) but it's well worthwhile. The light is open daily from two hours after sunrise to two hours before sunset. Volunteer keepers staying there will give you a guided tour. On a clear day, you'll be able to see Canada.

But then, why not visit Canada! In Port Angeles, on the north coast, a daily ferry will take you to Victoria. The crossing takes about 1 1/2 hours. Leave your car behind, Victoria is very walkable and tourist friendly. Shopping, tearooms, museums and tour buses are all located on the harbor. Ferry schedules vary seasonally, but it's possible to do Victoria in a day. Take the early morning ferry, stay a few hours and come back the same day.

When visiting Mukilteo light, the Boeing Everett factory is located nearby off Hwy 526 between Mukilteo and Interstate 5. You can take a tour for a few bucks. It's not fabulous, the tour is mainly a movie, a bus ride thru the flight line and a visit to a view platform overlooking the factory. But you can say you've been in the world's largest building under one roof. Besides, I work at Boeing and figured I'd better put in a plug for my employer.

This is all for now, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to hear about.

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63931 03/17/99 12:15 AM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hi Art,

I live in the greater Seattle area and have visited most of the lights in Washington and Oregon. Here are a few things that may help in planning your trip in addition to those above by many others.

A good book for Washington is the "Umbrella Guide to Washington Lighthouses" by Ted and Sharlene Nelson. It gives information and specific directions to all of the lights in Washington. I believe it is available from Amazon.com as well as Lighthouse Depot amongst others.

Cape Flattery is not accessible since it is on a island just off the rugged coast. However, I did view the light station from a dirt road that I followed out of Neah Bay although at quite a distance. A four wheel drive vehicle would be advisable even though I didn't have one at the time.

Willapa Bay Light no longer exists. It was washed into the ocean many years ago.

Destruction Island Light is around seven or eight miles from the mainland and while it can be seen at a great distance from the beach near Kalaloch in Olympic National Park on a clear day, you won't see much because of the distance. The first order Fresnel lens from this light is on display at the Maritime Museum in Westport, near Grays Harbor Light.

Ediz Hook Light is no longer a lighthouse. It is now just an aero beacon on top of a hanger at the Coast Guard Air Station in Port Angeles. The old lighthouse was razed many years ago.

Smith Island Light no longer exists. Most of it had fallen into the Sound over a number of years and the final piece of the foundation fell into the Sound during this past winter.

There a number of other lights in the Puget Sound area that you didn't list but would be worth your while. They are:
Point Wilson Light in Port Townsend
Admiralty Head Light on Whidbey Island
Point No Point Light near Kingston
West Point Light in Seattle
Alki Point Light in Seattle
Point Robinson Light on Vashon Island

I hope this is helpful. Have a great trip!

Larry

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63932 03/17/99 04:09 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, Larry. You have certainly saved me countless miles and hours with your suggestions. I'll look for the book, too.

Thanks again to you also, Iris. Sounds like you two should get together and write a guidebook of your own!

-Art

-Art
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63933 03/18/99 02:50 AM
G
Gayle M Offline
G
Larry mentioned the Port Wilson Lighthouse in Port Townsend. The lighthouse is a private residence but in a very historical location and only a short ferry ride away from Admiralty Head. Port Wilson is located at Fort Worden state park, an old coastal fortress. The victorian homes that were once Officer's row have been restored and are available for rent.

Port Townsend has a seafaring history. It was once larger than Seattle. The museum there has an interesting display on the practice of shanghiing sailors (and non sailors) to man the ships.

I've enjoyed reading this forum the last week. Iris and Larry have offered such descriptive and informative advice I want to jump in my car and go. Unfortunately, I have this pesky little interference called work.

Gayle

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63934 03/23/99 04:01 AM
R
rihetzler Offline
R
Gulp! I should really be using an alias for this post as the Sylvia Beach House in Newport is considered a treasured secret by many. It is small inn with turn of the century charm and a great restaurant located right on the beach. Some rooms offer a great view of Yaquina Head Lighthouse. I won't make many room recommendations, but save the Poe room for either inlaws or the teenage boys. The Dr. Suess room is wonderful for small children. The Sylvia Beach House is great for a quiet romantic night or for the bookish sort. Visit once and you will want to go back. My wife and I had our wedding party there.

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63935 03/24/99 01:18 AM
JoAnn Offline
Art,just saw your post[returned from Singapore]we live in ASTORIA and have traveled coast numerous times.suggest after viewing Cape Blanco stay in Bandon where you can see Coquille from many motels @ rest.Great restaurant is Boat Works with view of Coquille.Coquille is accessable thru the state park-Bullards Beach &open to visitors.Cape Arago is alittle difficult to find but can be done off 0f 101 to a deadend road that states No Trespassing Gov. Prop but ignore & continue on to Coast Guard Housing where we asked permission of a young Coastie & he invited us to drive closer & park with a spectacular view of C.A.most people view C.A.from a state park that is too far away.Umpqua is approx.20 mi. north of Coos Bay.Great lighthouse shop in basement!Heceta Head approx.40mi.north. You park at state park & hike to Heceta unless You're staying overnight at the keepers house then they will open a gate off the highway & no hike needed. Spectacular site & easy hike.Plan 40 miles per hour if you are sightseeing.Suggest staying in Newport 35 mi. north.The Sylvia Beach Hotel is nice But I suggest other motels in the area[Nye Beach]where you can see Yaquina Head from your room,Yaquina Bay is right in Newport. Visit the bay front-eat-Canyon Way Bookstore.Have lots more suggestions up the coast including the insiders guide to Astoria! if you are interested

------------------

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63936 03/24/99 02:50 PM
JoAnn Offline
correction to yesterday's note-the dead end road to view Cape Arago is not off 101 butoff the road to Sunset Bay State Pk.about 12 mi.west. From Coos Bay or North Bend,follow signs marked"Charleston"and "Ocean Beaches".PastCharleston,follow signs for Sunset Bay Beach.The deadend road is a few miles prior to the park.

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63937 03/24/99 11:30 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
I to will be going to Seattle in July a lot of this imfo will be helpful THANKs to all.
I orginally put on wrong forum I'm new at this stuff I'll catch on soon !!!!!!
Thanks to Art he told me about this site

Larry
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63938 03/29/99 09:05 PM
K
Karen Brian Offline
K
Art...

We have done the Pacific Northwest Lighthouse Adventure twice! Loved it.

Forget Cape Flatterly....!! We couldn't find it...wound up in the local dump!! (no kidding) The locals couldn't/wouldn't offer any assistance in finding it either! Day's drive--pretty--but lighthouse time wasted!

Lake Crescent Lodge is a great place to stay on Olympic Pennisula. Ask for one of the "cabins" and not one in the lodge itself. We had one with a fireplace and it backed up to the water....even had racoon burglars in our cooler one night! The food in the lodge is good...expensive though. Beautiful, Beautiful place to stay. Beds are awful - Camp-like! Hint: Leave window open to draw out smoke! (these things were built in 1930's!)

We hiked out to Cape Dungenous (in Sequim - pronounced SQUIM)for a "picnic". It's 6 miles out/6 miles back! Great adventure though...You can even stay here for a week...be a keeper and all that jazz...got to register early though. Keepers get dropped off by auto across the spit 1x per week. Keeper also does "show & tell" duty for those who hike out and want a look see.

Admiralty Head took a little while to find...but once found....Wonderful...went at sunset! It's way-way "in" the park...check hours for operation...we missed the inside tour - arrived too late!

High Recommendation for Lodging: Stay at Eagles Nest on Whidbey Island. Find it in any on-line B&B. Great place - quaint city life/restaurants. Also get to see Mukilteo Lighthouse.....At the ferry landing.

Grays Harbor was another adventure to find! It's more "in-town" than out on the beach! Nice viewing area...spectacular light! Worth it.

We did the "ENTIRE OREGON COAST" in practically one day! Wouldn't recommend it this way though! 1200 miles in one week and lots of hiking!

Cape Blanco - great cliff views - beautiful lens when the sunlight hits it. If the "gate" is closed...go on up...it's worth the risk.

Coquille....pretty. Again, arrived too late for indoor tour...arrive at 4:01pm and the tour guide wouldn't turn the key to unlock and give us a few moments inside...even though we came specifically from TEXAS to see this one! The fog rolled in about this time and made for some interesting photos. LH is deep within the park...you'll drive miles to get to it. In sad state of dis-repair on the outside though.

Couldn't get to Cape Argus....something about the footbridge being out? Had to spy it from the distance (the park across the way)...it just wasn't the same.

Heceta and Umpqua look about the same in shape/style. Heceta has a B&B onsite (the keepers quarters....check it out. This place has a wonderful hike to the light...tons of black and white bunnies running around everywhere! Legend has it....ghost in the keepers cottage!

North Head - worth it. Yaquina Head and Yaquina Bay. "Head" is fabulous. Has on-site info center. "Bay" has great vistas overlooking bridge/waterfront but too "commercialized" with period-clad/attired tour guides. Ick!

"Old Tilly" is TOO FAR OFFSHORE to get good view of unless you're an eagle or you carry binocs! Interesting current usage - burial place for ashes of dead folks.

Missed Cape Meares - can't say whether good or not.

Recommend you find some place in Astoria! It is so picturesque...we'll "camp" here next trip to OR. Don't have any specific lodging in mind.

Cape Disappointment and Destruction Island both worth trip and hikes to see them

We found a few lights not on most guides (Point Wilson, Point Alki, Point Robinson)...happy to send you more info if interested...also more info on local lodgings and food. Pacific Northwest is one of my favorite places in the world...been numerous times.

Request the Lighthouse tourist guide from Oregon Visitors Center...it was most helpful!

Hope some of the above is helpful. Ciao and happy LH hunting!

Karen

[This message has been edited by Karen Brian (edited 03-30-99).]

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63939 03/30/99 02:09 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for the information. It's been a tremendous help to me in planning. I'm sure many others will benefit in the future also.

Still 2 weeks to go before I depart, folks ... any other advice?

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63940 04/02/99 01:55 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Art, when you walk down the path to visit Cape Meares you will find yourself looking directly into the latern room from the path as you approach the lighthouse. It's neat to have this "outside looking in" view. Enjoy that beautiful coastline.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63941 04/14/99 05:26 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
The trip is underway:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000030.html

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Oregon and Washington Lights #63942 01/17/00 05:26 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Just saving a few "oldy but goody" threads from the eventual wrecking ball.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users