Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hillsboro Light #63755 03/21/07 01:51 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
On our first venture down the ICW, we went out through the Hillsboro Inlet bridge by mistake. I knew it was near Lighthouse Point, but couldn't find a town named Hillsboro (except for Hillsboro Beach). I eventually determined that Hillsboro Inlet and also Hillsboro Lighthouse were in Pompano Beach

This is what I wrote at the time of that first trip.

Quote:

Disaster day - we only have 5 more bridges to do --- except that I mistake the first bridge and we go out the Hillsborough Inlet bridge instead of the 14ths St. bridge. Luckily the bridge tender put the bridge back up and let us back through

The reason we were so afraid to actually go out this inlet is that the inlet has a well deserved reputation for chewing up boats and spitting them out on the rocks.

After that, the only time we saw this lighthouse was from out in the ocean as we went offshore from Miami to Fort Pierce

This is a series of pictures which I took of a relatively large cruising sailboat after going through the bridge, approaching the inlet, in the inlet, and successfully outside the inlet.

The wind was from the east, and the tide was going out (going west).

Re: Hillsboro Light #63756 03/21/07 02:08 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I knew where the inlet was on the charts, but I could not figure out from the internet exactly where I could go to see it. One of the sites gave places along the road to the south of the inlet where he said views could be had, but that area was completely built up. We drove down US A1A

and across the drawbridge and the whole length of the road and back without finding any place that looked like we could get to the coastline without going across someone's property.

On the way back we almost ran into

This park had free parking, playground equipment

benches and people (and some birds) were fishing from beside the inlet, and it also had a really good view of the Hillsboro Inlet bridge

and the lighthouse (with a heliocopter)

and we could watch the sports fisher boats come in through the washing machine that was the inlet and tread water waiting for the bridge to open.

Re: Hillsboro Light #63757 03/21/07 02:13 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko

The yellow dinghy type boat is the Sea Tow boat.

The bridge tender gets her own parking space

Fishing piers

Parasailing boat going out of the inlet

We stayed at the park about an hour talking to an old man that was fishing and taking pictures. And also we used the bathrooms. Then we drove on down toward Miami to visit grandchildren.

Re: Hillsboro Light #63758 03/21/07 08:54 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rosalie,

We got a view of this lighthouse several years ago from the edge of a propety that was being built on at the time.

The house wasn't up yet so we had a clear view. We just spent a few minutes there and one of us stayed in the car at all times so it could be termed "standing" not parked.

It did take a bit of driving around to find that spot- can't say I recall the park though. I had a brother who lived about 4 miles away at the time.

Dennis

Re: Hillsboro Light #63759 03/21/07 10:25 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie,

Nice photos!!! I like the one taken from offshore that shows the rough waters.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Hillsboro Light #63760 03/21/07 11:45 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Actually that was a fairly calm day. We usually go down the coast overnight in the dark, so we don't see the lighthouse much (except the light). We did once see a man come out of the inlet in a sailboat and struggle to put his sails up, but he was too far away to get a good picture. That picture was zoomed and cropped as far as could be done - as was the one of the sailboat going out the inlet.

There have been lots of stories of people who came to grief on the rock jetties of this inlet.

After we finished taking pictures of the inlet, we drove down to Miami and stayed a couple of days doing the grandchildren thing. We went to the Chihuly at Fairchild exhibit

at the insistance of this grandchild who was sure we would love it, and wanted to go back (she had been once)

And of course she was right

This was another occasion where I took over 100 pictures and Bob even took some.

Then we drove to Winter Haven via Lake Okeechobee and visited Highland's Hammock State Park on the way. They have a great exhibit on the CCC which of course also built Fort Clinch on Amelia Island.

While we were in Winter Haven, we drove by the old Cypress Gardens (which we visited in 1965 when it was just a water ski place), and went to see Spook Hill and Bok tower in Lake Wales (which were also on the 1965 trip)

We happened to be there on the anniversary of Mr. Bok's death and there was a special carillon concert. I watched the carillon player on the TV (outside under a tent), but Bob just sat in the gardens and listened.

After that, we drove to Amelia Island (we met and had lunch with some friends in Ocala on the way) where we traded in one rental car for another.

Long story short - it would have cost more than twice as much to rent a car for two weeks from Ft. Lauderdale where we got off the cruise ship to Leonardtown MD as it did to rent a car from Ft. Lauderdale to Amelia Island and then get another rental car to drive from Amelia Island to Leonardtown. Crazy right?

Re: Hillsboro Light #63761 03/21/07 12:17 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
After we traded the car in, we were finally able to visit Fort Clinch, which we had only seen from the water before

I put one of the lighthouse from there in the other thread, but I'll start another topic for the St. Mary's River.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users