cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 8 On to New Brunswick #63706 06/26/07 02:00 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We left Halifax on Friday morning on our way to Saint john, NB.

We planned on stopping at a number of lighthouses on the way- specifically our main target was Cape D'Or overlooking the Bay Of fundy in NS.

We would pass several other lights on the way while driving through some of the least populated areas of NS and NB we would be in. there were times that we not only did not see any other cars, homes or people but there were not even power lines along the road at some points. I beleive we came to the i ntersection of The road to nowhere and The End Of The Earth Drive. The scenery was lovely- just not very populated.

The first lighthouse we got to we viewed from five Islands Provincial Park. It's name- Five Islands Lighthouse. It's actually situated in the middle of an RV park across the way.

Here are a few pictures of Spencer's Island Lighthouse. The first shows how foggy it was there that morning- elsewhere it was brilliant sunshine but here it was foggy.

These next few show the inside of the lighthouse. It was actually open for climbing- the only one we got to climb other than Monhegan Island lighthouse on this trip.

Iy had been painted very recently and was in great shape inside and out.

This showed the view from the very, very cramped lantern room.

This gives you a better idea of how cramped the lantern room actually is.

Spencer's Island, the town, is most famous for it's ship building and in particular for it's most infamous ship built there- the Mary Celeste. this was the famous "ghost" ship found abandoned. It was salvaged and rechristened but wasn't used long as it was very difficult to find a crew for it and it continued to have bad luck.

Dennis

Continued in Pt 9

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001195

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 8 On to New Brunswick #63707 06/26/07 02:07 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We continued on our way and stopped to see a lighthouse near Parrsboro, NS next. You can't get very close to it but we did get a clear shot at a little park almost directly opposite of the lighthouse.

We drove on to our next stop- Cape D'or Lighthouse. this is perched dramatically on the cliffs above the Bay Of fundy on a small arm of land that juts out a bit.

This first one is of a faux light in the parking area near the road down to the lighthouse. you can stay at this light and there is a very nice cafe there as well (great food, great service, great conversation and a unbelievable view)

This is a view of the lighthouse from the road down to it.

A shot right up close and personal.

This was our backdrop for lunch.

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 8 On to New Brunswick #63708 06/26/07 02:23 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We left there after lunch and made our way through the real wilds of nova Scotia to the more populated area of New Brunswick. We had talen a bit longer to get to this point so after some trouble locating the next lighthouse on the list we opted to drive straight into Saint john.

We checked into the motel and then drove down to the waterfront. There are several real and faux lights on the Saint john Waterfront. We ended up eating at a restaurant on the waterfront with a view of 2 lighthouses- but mediocre very overpricedfood and very poor service. Avoid Grannan's Seafood on the Saint John Waterfront.

This first one is a light relocated from Digby Wharf elsewhere in NS. It's now located in the Market Square area of Saint john's Waterfront district.

This is a working faux light built by the Canadian coast guard and on a wahrf on their base in saint john literally around the corner from the Digby wharf LH- just behind the beach volleyball courts.

This is one of the two faux lights located in or near the Market Square area.

We finished up dinner- by now it was 9:30 and still a bit light out due to being at the edge of the Atlantic time Zone- so we took a ride down the waterfront to try and get a good view of Partridge Island Lighthouse which is located in the middle of the Saint John Harbour

While we were at the parking area we found we looked over to our left and got this view of the Courtney Bay lighthouse as well. Believe it or not these two photos were taken just after the sunset at about 10 PM.

This finished up our day in Saint John, NB.

Dennis

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 8 On to New Brunswick #63709 06/27/07 09:39 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Once again, thanks for sharing. I haven't been to the Saint Johns, NB area in about 50 years. I use to travel up there with my grandparents each summer when I was just a youngster. We had relatives on my mother's side in that area. I still have a vivid recollection of what the area was like "way back when".

cool Bob cool

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 8 On to New Brunswick #63710 06/27/07 11:10 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Wouldn't a working faux lighthouse built by the Canadian Coast Guard be a real lighthouse, a newish one? That boat tour lighthouse looks real too. Maybe it's just one that was also relocated? I think there were lots and lots of those small wooden lighthouses in use in Canada at one time. And now many of them have been moved and used for alternative purposes.

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 8 On to New Brunswick #63711 06/27/07 11:16 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by mombo:
Wouldn't a working faux lighthouse built by the Canadian Coast Guard be a real lighthouse, a newish one? That boat tour lighthouse looks real too. Maybe it's just one that was also relocated? I think there were lots and lots of those small wooden lighthouses in use in Canada at one time. And now many of them have been moved and used for alternative purposes.
Sue,

It's listed as a faux one because while it is lit it is not an official aid to navigation- I should have made that clearer.

I count it as a sort of real one.

The other lights in Market Square and at the NB visitors Center were built to be used there- not relocated. They were probably either built according to plans used for real lighthouses or working from photos. They do look like the real thing- that's part of the problem with the lighthouses in the Maritime provinces of Canada. There are so many that are exactly alike - some small some big but basically the same design with the same color scheme.

It's one reason we never tried to go to all of the lighthouses that are still in thier original positions.

Dennis

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 858 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users