Hi folks,

I've been absent for a while (busy doing lighthouse stuff), but I thought I should mention a local event.

This August 7 is the 211th anniversary of the signing of the Lighthouses Act by President Washington. LongIslandLighthouses.com and the Long Island Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society will celebrate with two days of lighthouse fun. Saturday, August 5 will be at the normally-off-limits Old Field Point lighthouse in Setauket. Details are still being worked out by our buddy Mike Seewald for this day. Sunday, August 6 will be a picnic at the Horton Point lightouse in Southold. We'll have a picnic, and I'll bring along historic postcards, documents and artifacts for everyone to see. Of course, the lighthouse and museum will be open for tours.

This will also be a chance to learn about the new Long Island Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society. We're going to be a very active organization, with projects already lined up, and hope to gain the involvement and support of lighthouse fans, especially those on Long Island. If you're interested, feel free to contact me.

There is no fee for these two days, although I do hope you'll make a small donation to the Horton Point lighthouse if you take a tour.

Thanks.

------------------
Bob Muller
Islip Terrace, NY
LILighthouses@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com