Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Florida Lighthouses #63554 05/15/99 05:26 PM
S
Squid Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Will be going to Orlando on a business trip & will have two days for lighthousing. I have been in the Florida keys before, but have never had the chance to explore this area.

Does anybody have any secrets or tips? I am planning on hitting St. Auggie, Cape Canaveral, Ponce de Leon, Jupiter, & Hillsboro.

Re: Florida Lighthouses #63555 05/15/99 11:14 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Those lighthouses will be the 'cream of the crop' for Florida. Start at Jacksonville and go south for St. Augustine, Ponce, Jupiter Inlet and Hillsboro Inlet.

Canaveral is inside the Space Center. I'm told you can see it from the bus tour, but the bus doesn't stop. IMO, St. Augustine is the 'quintessential' lighthouse. Ponce is great also -- and don't miss the 1st order Fresnel on the grounds. I believe that lens is from Cape Canaveral. During our visit to Ponce in the summer of '97, the Shuttle Columbia was launched from the Cape. I did get some photos, but I thought that Ponce was closer and the Shuttle looked mighty small -- kind of like a match held 10 yards away. If I was in FL again when the shuttle was going up, I'd camp out much closer to the Cape.

Jupiter and Hillsboro are going to be tough to get to -- most of the shots I see were taken across the water.

Another choice that might be fun, depending on the weather is to charter a small plane (high-wing, openable window) and get some aerial photos. You still probably can't see Canaveral as the airspace over the Cape is controlled.

Derith Bennett took some great photos of the lighthouses along the Keys chartering a local pilot and plane. You can see her photos in the Galleries.

Re: Florida Lighthouses #63556 05/15/99 11:46 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I live in Orlando. There is a road that goes from Orlando to Brevard County (the Cape), it's 520. Try to avoid taking this road. It's known as one of the most dangerous in Central Florida because of head on collisions. Too many people anxious to get to the beach try to pass in the opposite lane of traffic.

Re: Florida Lighthouses #63557 05/16/99 01:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Squid,

Follow all of John's suggestions. I am sure there are some local airports that you could take an hour flight and really have a great view. If you call a local airport near you, they can give you a name and number of an air service that you can hire in the area where you are going.

Ponce is one of those breathtaking experiences. St. Augustine is a lovely setting. I was at Hillsboro two years ago and was able to get some photos by finding a house under constructuion and asking to walk about the back. The photos are across the water but closer than the park near the bridge. Some of our Tampa Bay HL club members were able to get into the gate where Hillsboro is located with previous permission.

Jupiter is accessible but most photos I have are from a restaurant across the water from it.
I really think if you push it, you can also get to see Cape Florida, if you have never been there. It isn't too far down 95 from Hillsboro. Take the Key Biscayne exit.

I guess I was living right, but last July I called Patrick AFB and got permission to go on. I was allowed to go out to the light and spend as much time as I wanted to and take all the pictures I wanted to. It was a high. I called for a friend not too long ago and was told I must be kidding. So, I consider myself blessed to have been able to go.

Have a great trip and really enjoy yourself. Let us know what you were able to see and photo when you get back.

Derith

Re: Florida Lighthouses #63558 05/17/99 01:20 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
When I was in FL last Sept they wouldn't let anyone on Cape Canaveral without their specific base permit/ID. Military ID didn't work on a weekend. The rent-a-cop at the gate did suggest I try during the work week and may be able. This is probably worth a try for anyone in the military. Unfortunately I wasn't able to stick around 'till Monday. Would presume they continue a heightened security posture with current world events. You can see the light from a distance (understatement) at several places.

At Jupiter there are several places you can get a nice picture from, including the bridge just west of the light.

Take your lighthouse passport- St. Auggie, Ponce and Jupiter will all stamp it.

Have a great trip.

Dave

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users