Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rattlesnake Island OH Lighthouse? #63284 02/21/06 11:41 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
In the A-Z thread, Margret has posted a picture of " Rattlesnake Island OH ".

I'd not heard of this light before and from the picture, it might be a home-made lighthouse, not an 'official one'.(Comparing the size of the man to the lantern room, I don't think a person could FIT in there!) But it got me to Googling Rattlesnake Island and it has an intersting story.

According to Wickipedia:

Quote:
Rattlesnake Island is a small island located on Lake Erie in Ohio.

Rattlesnake Island is a private island that was purchased in 1992 for $4.6 million. It is readily accessible only to the 50 members of the Rattlesnake Island Club. The 50 members will never increase, and the list is kept private even from other members. There are only about ten private and exclusive lots on the island. Sale of property on the island is controlled by the island club.

Most of the members just travel to the island to take advantage of the private facilities, including a bar, five-star restaurant, large pool and hot-tub, health club, tennis courts, bocci courts, miniature golf, and much more. Inside the main building, underneath the bar, is a raquetball court, basketball court, pool table, dart board, big-screen television, Pac-Man video game, a pinball machine, card tables, and even a suit of armor. There are two landing strips for airplanes, which come and go often. These grass landing strips double as a small golf course. The pilot's lounge doubles as a pro-shop, with access to score cards and golf balls. Near the runway is a small zoo containing exotic birds and other animals. Members and guests on the island travel from one place to another on electric golf carts. There are also seven hotel rooms which members can stay in for the night. Rattlesnake Island clothing can be purchased from a store located in the same building as the restaurant. In recent years, a second marina was added to the island.

The summer staff, mostly Eastern-European, is around 28, and there are separate dorms for the men and women working there. There is also a year-round caretaker and professional chef. The island's workers are trained to recognize each of the members and their families both by appearance and by the yachts they come in on. Any non-members will immediately be turned away by armed guards in one of the island's two boats before the intruders even have time to dock.

In order to join the Island Club, one of the current members must quit, and the potential member must receive recommendations from at least two of the island's current members. The cost to join is estimated to be between $100,000 and $300,000 initially, as well as a monthly maintenance fee.

The name Rattlesnake comes both from the actual rattlesnakes that used to inhabit the island, as well as from the overall shape of the island (two smaller islands near the tip look like a rattlesnake's rattle). The only wild animals on the island now are pheasants and seagulls.

Rattlesnake Island is the world's most exclusive playground of the wealthy, according to the Discovery Channel.
I've found several good aerial views of the small island and can't spot the pictured lighthouse on the island:

LARGE Aerial of Rattlesnake Island in winter in 1966 (Apparently before the private 5-star restaurant and club were built.) You can pretty well see everything on this island -- including the fact that a good chunk of the island was then taken up by two sod runways.

I did find a 2003 Aerial View which shows Margret's lighthouse at the end of the small harbor pier . Looks like lots of changes on the island from 1968-2003.

Margret, being a philatelist, will appreciate that this small island had it's own postage stamps in the 1960-1980 era. There wasn't a post office on the small island, so the locals created their own to get the mail from Rattlesnake to Port Clinton OH.

Rattlenake Island Postage One other reference to these stamps valued them at over $5,000!

Nearby Green Island did have a lighthouse.

Original 1850\'s lighthouse which burned and was replaced by a newer lighthouse .

There is an interesting account by a party of kayakers who explored Green Island and found This old abandoned lighthouse. Scroll down and see this lighthouse now surrounded by woods.

There is also a lighthouse on West Sister Island There's a link to the older lighthouse from this page.

The Lake Erie Islands have an interesting history. Put-in-Bay is probably the best known one. Anyone here explored these islands?

Re: Rattlesnake Island OH Lighthouse? #63285 02/21/06 03:36 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
In August 1972, as part of the Lutheran Church camp program in Ohio, I camped on Rattlesnake Island for a week. We flew to the island from Sandusky (home of Cedar Point amusement park) in a Ford Trimotor airplane. I got to sit in the copilots seat. There was no lighthouse at that time although from the photograph it is difficult to tell where on the island it may be located. One morning we woke up to a 10 foot soap ring around the entire island. Pollution in Lake Erie was really bad in the '70s.

I once related the story about being in the cockpit of the Ford Trimotor while viewing the Trimotor on exhibit at the National Air and Space Museum. When I turned around I discovered that about five people had been listening in.

Robert

Re: Rattlesnake Island OH Lighthouse? #63286 02/21/06 03:59 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow, I went from having never heard of this island to knowing more about it than the city of my birth, well almost more!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Rattlesnake Island OH Lighthouse? #63287 02/22/06 02:27 AM
beachcomber Offline
Fascinating reading and pictures. The account of the fire was very poetic. I thought the picture of the second Green Island light in 1904 was very spooky, then I read the account of the kayakers and saw the picture they took of it. It's so sad to see a light allowed to be consumed by the elements. Did I understand that the light couldn't be seen in the first aerial picture? Isn't that it at the end of the pier - with a flag? Or am I seeing things?!

beachcomber
Re: Rattlesnake Island OH Lighthouse? #63288 02/22/06 10:46 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
In 1968 that 'light' didn't exist. Just the flag at the end of the breakwall. The 2003 photo clearly shows the 'light.'

Re: Rattlesnake Island OH Lighthouse? #63289 03/07/06 12:41 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sorry it took me do long to respond to this thread. Somehow I had missed it...

The picture I posted with the lighthouse on Rattlesnake Island also shows our good friend John Wells who wrote a book "History & Local Post of Rattlesnake Island Lake Erie" in 2003 (ISBN: 1 903607 41 8)
He went to visit the island by invitation in 2004, which is not an easy thing to do as the place is so exclusive these days. And he had this picture taken while there.

Here is what John found out about the lighthouse while there:
The lighthouse was probably built in 1920. It originally had timber cladding all round the tower. This has been removed due to the wood decaying. Only the lantern is still covered in wood.

We also got a photograph of a painting of the Rattlesnake Island Light as it was befor the rott set into the wood

Not a great photograph, but it may give you an idea.

We would be VERY interested in any further information about the lighthouse! smile

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Rattlesnake Island OH Lighthouse? #63290 03/08/06 01:49 AM
beachcomber Offline
Thanks for all the information about this lighthouse, Margret and John. There is so much to learn about lighthouses; it's great that we have such knowledgeable lighthousers in the forums.

beachcomber

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users