Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Florida lights? #63189 01/23/06 12:03 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I am going to be going to the panhandle of Florida for a couple days in March. We are flying into Pensacola and driving over to Panama City Beach. I know Pensacola has a gorgeous light, but what others are possible to hit within an hour or so between Pensacola and Panama City Beach, and perhaps within an hour or two of Panama City Beach?

Re: Florida lights? #63190 01/23/06 03:44 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Jen,

If I'm still around come March I would be happy to give you a guided tour of the lights you could see within a hr or so from your planed trip.

From Pensacola you could travel WEST within an hour to see Mobile Point Light at Fort Morgan, AL and from that location you can see in the distance Sand Island Lighthouse on a clear day.

The Pensacola Lighthouse is on the Navel Air Base (NAS Pensacola), and is open to the public.

Heading EAST the next lighthouse is St. Joseph Point Light east of Port St. Joe east of Panama City about 45 min. (maybe less). From there the next light is Cape San Blas (10 min. from St. Joseph). After that is Cape St. George which is no longer standing thanks to Katrina (so I am told, I haven't been there to see for myself). So from Cape San Blas the next light is Crooked River, Carrabelle, about 1 hr more. Then St. Marks which is probely too far (about another hour).

If you want further directions or a guided tour (by me) then just send me an email.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Florida lights? #63191 01/23/06 04:07 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Stephanie, I am going to try and sweet-talk my mom into making a trip all the way to St. Marks. It looks like a gorgeous light that I don't want to miss. Do you have any idea if it's open for tours yet?? I'd love to climb it!

Re: Florida lights? #63192 01/23/06 11:39 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I believe Mobile Point Light is still in storage waiting to be restored or is being restored.

I going to the Florida Lighthouse Association meeting this weekend, I see if I can get any updates from the panhandle.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Florida lights? #63193 01/24/06 12:35 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks, Eric! Sure would appreciate any information.

Re: Florida lights? #63194 01/24/06 01:11 AM
beachcomber Offline
Jen, you have to try to make it to St. Mark's. When I visited there, I arrived late in the day so I wasn't able to go in, but the setting is just wonderful - beautiful picture opportunities.

beachcomber
Re: Florida lights? #63195 02/21/06 02:40 PM
Lou Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Shortcake:
After that is Cape St. George which is no longer standing thanks to Katrina (so I am told, I haven't been there to see for myself).
Sadly, it's true.

As far as the Pensacola Lighthouse goes, it's only open to the public May - October. You can arrange a private tour by contacting them.

Pensacola Lighthouse

Re: Florida lights? #63196 02/22/06 02:51 AM
beachcomber Offline
If all goes well, Eric (ericlighthouse) and the St. George Lighthouse Association will be out there on Feb. 25. Let's hope weather conditions are good so that the volunteers can take on the task of retrieving the pieces.

beachcomber
Re: Florida lights? #63197 02/22/06 03:51 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Lou, thanks for the link and phone number. My main concern is access to the grounds for photography, but if we can get inside...!?! I'll keep you posted!

Re: Florida lights? #63198 02/22/06 05:57 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jen, sorry for not posting earlier. San Blas is not open for climbing (most likely next year), however, the old keepers house that was falling down has been completely restored. Crooked River is still trying to raise funds for restoration. Last Hurricane season took off a lot of what was left of the paint (but hey, it needed to be removed any way). Have not heard from the owner of St. Joe in a while (and he was not at the meeting, but his replica lantern room was suppose to be ready near the end of 2005). In case you don't know, St. Joe is privately owned and is used as a house. They don't mind if you stop by the road to take a picture as long as it is not for commercial purposes. The owner's name is Danny (in case he is outside, you can say hi). I have met him and he is a nice southern gentleman.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Florida lights? #63199 02/22/06 01:05 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Jen, you can get access to the grounds at Pensacola. The light is on NAS Pensacola, which is a fairly open base. (You may have to stop and get a visitors permit - drivers license and car registration or rental contract.) There is also an old fort (Baranacas if I remember correctly) and a fantastic air museum. Home of the Blue Angels, don't know if they are there right now or not.

Re: Florida lights? #63200 02/23/06 05:11 PM
Lou Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
Jen, you can get access to the grounds at Pensacola. The light is on NAS Pensacola, which is a fairly open base. (You may have to stop and get a visitors permit - drivers license and car registration or rental contract.) There is also an old fort (Baranacas if I remember correctly) and a fantastic air museum. Home of the Blue Angels, don't know if they are there right now or not.
The Naval Air Museum is excellent and not far from the lighthouse. It was also free last time I was there. They have the old Blue Angels A4s hanging in diamond formation from the ceiling and another room that is a carrier deck replica. They also have an IMAX theater (there is a cost for that). It's worth a few hours if you have the time.

Re: Florida lights? #63201 02/23/06 06:22 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Eric, did you hear anything about St. Marks being open?

Dave & Lou, thanks for the info on Pensacola. Our flight gets in around 2:30 p.m., and by the time we get out of the airport and over to the lighthouse I imagine it will be 4pm or so - sunset's around 6pm, since they are on central time, and we still have to drive to Panama City Beach after that - so this will most likely be a quick lighthouse stop and a drive around the base. smile

Re: Florida lights? #63202 02/23/06 09:28 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Jen you will love all of the wildlife while driving back to the lighthouse at St Marks.. They do have a beware of Alligators sign in the parking lot and they mean it..

St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Florida lights? #63203 02/24/06 02:58 AM
beachcomber Offline
My visit there was at the end of the day; although I couldn't go into the lighthouse, the sunset was beautiful - great photo opportunities!

beachcomber
Re: Florida lights? #63204 02/27/06 11:51 PM
RIP Puls Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Jen,
The road goes right up to ST.Marks park in front ,there is a path to the East also a platform or viewing stand looking out toward the swamp there are gators in the area so look before you step.

RIP
Re: Florida lights? #63205 02/28/06 12:12 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Jen,
the St. Marks Lighthouse site is open, however, they still have not gotten title to the lighthouse yet. The bill is in Congress. They are making plans as to when to open the lighthouse and if you will be allowed to climb. I put in my 2 cents worth Sunday on the way back from St. George that you should be able to climb to the top. By the way, it will most likely be a year or 2 before all is said and done.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users