Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Also Trip to Outer Banks and Assateague #63154 05/28/99 08:56 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We followed just about the same route as Art is but we were a week ahead of him.

Flew into Norfolk--from the plane we saw New Point Comfort Light. Upon getting rental car we drove to Fort Story to see Cape Henry I and II. Climbed to the top of Cape Henry I and saw submarine out in ocean.

Then we drove up to Chincoteague (home of Assateague and ponies). On the way, from the car, we saw Cape Charles in the distance.

Arrived at hotel in Chincoteague and the view from the balcony of our room included a view of Assateague.

Assateague is beautiful. But the bugs were terrible. Couldn't stand being outside...swarms of mosquitoes took over. The drive through the park was interesting and we saw the wild ponies. In fact, at one point one "wild" pony was blocking the road totally ignoring the cars waiting to go by.

Next day it was down to Outer Banks. First stop was Bodie. After a few pictures and walk around the site, it was off to Cape Hatteras.

As you drive down the road all of a sudden, straight ahead of you is Cape Hatteras. You can see it from miles away. We stayed at a hotel that was 1/4 mile from the entrance to the park. One night we walked the beach and came to the other side of the light where it is blocked off from the beach side. It seems to me that they have a long way to go...they say the move will start around June 20th. But it looks a long way off from even starting the move. You can't see the keepers quarters at all.

Another day we drove up to Currituck. What a beautiful light. You can climb it and the view from the top is great. Long climb but well worth it. The light is kept in great shape. They show pictures from years ago with no trees, but now the trees are grown up and with the natural brick lighthouse it's a beautiful lighthouse.

Ocracoke came next...its a neat "little" light. Not much parking room and you really can't get too close to light. The keepers quarters are now a private residence.

The long day was when we went to Cape Lookout. Started at 4:30 a.m. Drove 10 miles to catch ferry to Ocracoke (40 minutes). Drove 14 miles (the length of island) to catch another ferry (2 hrs. 15 minutes) to Cedar Island. Once on Cedar Island drove about 45 minutes to Harkers Island. Took a ferry (passengers only) for about 15 minutes. The ferry drops you off about 50 yards from Cape Lookout. The day we were there was beautiful...sunny weather and about 75-80 degrees. We spent about an hour and a half on the island and then it was the reverse way down...ferry, car, ferry, car, ferry, car....very long day but worth the trip. I only wish we had planned more time. But the lighthouse books we have seemed to indicate that getting to the island was a problem.

We visited Cape Hatteras every day while staying there. It is an impressive light...can't wait until next year for the relighting.

We stopped to visit the Wright Memorial in Kitty Hawk also.

On the day we left, we went back to Cape Henry (Mike thinks he messed up pictures on the first day) and then were off to Fort Monroe to see Old Point Comfort. Its a cute little light. In fact, I wasn't even sure that it was a real lighthouse. Then we walked around the Musuem at Fort Monroe.

It was a great vacation...only rained for about 1/2 hr on the next to last day we were there and we saw a total of 11 lights (I count 2 at Cape Henry).

I will post some pictures as I go through them. Took a friend's digital camera and used 7 disks (19-24 pictures per disk)!!

Patty & Mike

[This message has been edited by Kaiz (edited 05-28-99).]

Re: Also Trip to Outer Banks and Assateague #63155 05/29/99 01:04 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hey Patty & Mike!

Sounds like you two had a great trip! Thanks for sharing the details with us. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.

-Todd

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users