Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
West Coast Trip #63055 02/09/01 06:31 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Okay kids here we go. I'm going to do a couple of days at a time so you won't get too bored. All of these pictures Patty took with the digital camera. I have a real problem with keeping the camera straight, so if a lighthouse looks like it's leaning--it really isn't it's just the photographer.

We decided that we weren't going to travel to Gray's Harbor. It would be at least a 3-hour drive up and back just to get to North Head.

Day 1 -- 1/28/01

We left Portland at 5:12 a.m.--mileage was 15610 and headed for Astoria. At 7:10 we stopped for breakfast and back on the road at 7:40 headed towards Washington. The 2+ mile bridge from Astoria to Washington wasn't too bad.

Arrived at North Head at 8:04--mileage was 15734 (124 miles from Portland).

At North Head we had some mechanical problems with the camera--will Mike ever learn to read the manual?? North Head was impressive with cliffs on both sides. You can now rent two of the three keepers quarters. (Sorry Jim, this light is nice but it's probably still one of my least favorite Harbour Lights!!)

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495202[/img]

From North Head it's a short two-mile drive to Cape Disappointment. We walked the 3/4 mile trial to the light. It is in great need of a paint job. Winds were high up on the cliffs.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495204[/img]

We walked over to the Lewis and Clark Interpretative Center. Before going into the center, Mike decided to go looking for a photo "op". Off the trail he goes, down the cliff. After taking his pictures, a voluteer sees him coming out and tells him that 15 people have fallen off the cliffs and drowned.

We went into the Center where, after a quick self-directed tour, we read more about North Head and Cape Disappointment lighthouses. This is where North Head's original 1st order Fresnel is displayed.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495210[/img]

Back to North Head for the tour of the light. Cost is $1.00 per person. The light has 64 steps with three landings--pretty easy compared to Barnegat.

Left North Head and headed back to Oregon. Drove to Ecola State Park to view Tillamook --mileage was now 15780 (44 miles from North Head). Beautiful park with great views of Cannon Beach. We had a nice, clear day so Tillamook was very visible. Acutally, we were surprised how clear we could see it. I couldn't get any good shots with the digital, Mike went off climbing the cliffs looking for his photo shot.

Back on the road towards Cape Meares for the last light of the day. Did not get to Cape Meares until almost 4:00 -- getting too dark for good pictures. Off we went down the trail where at the end you are face-to-face with the lantern room. After snapping off two quick pictures, Mike was at the end of his roll of film (can we say "put an extra roll in our pocket??")

Back on the road to Lincoln City where we decided to stop for the night. Found a nice hotel -- Liberty Inn with a great room with fireplace for $49 per night.

Day 2 -- 1/29/01

Left hotel at 6:13 a.m. mileage was 15885

Headed toward Newport to catch Yaquina Head at sunrise but we arrived too soon so found a place for breakfast and then it was back to Yaquina Head. After paying a $5.00 day-use fee we drove down to the end of the road (the lighthouse). Beautiful light in a great setting. We arrived around 7:15. Talk about change of weather. We arrived it was cloudy--then sunny--then downpour--then sunny--cloudy--more rain and hail. Mike had to clean the camera equipment twice after getting caught in the rain. Beautiful skys--pinks, purples, cloudy, clear, dark & stormy and a rainbow. Mike was trying to get me a picture of the rainbow when the second rain hit.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495712[/img]

Once again the sun came out and we were headed toward Yaquina Bay. After a couple of quick pictures, we were on the road again. We were too early for either of the lights to be opened -- Yaquina Head at 10:00; Yaquina Bay at 12:00.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495714[/img]

Next stop was Haceta Head. Because of scheduling hotels we did things backwards--we were staying at Haceta the next night and Bandon tonight so we had to backtrack the next day.

Mileage to Haceta was 15960 (75 miles from Lincoln City). Went to the State Park where the lighthouse access is available to the public. Decided to take the trial up to the light. Once we were up to the Keepers Quarters, Mike decided to go back to the car to get the cameras--the sun was out now and it might not be tomorrow when we stay here.

Up to the top of the trail--Lighthouse is beautiful but the wheels at the base of the lens broke so the light is not operational (more of that on the tour tomorrow). Area around Haceta is beautiful.
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495719[/img]

On the road to Umpqua. One thing about Oregon--they mark their lighthouses great. Umpqua has a beautiful 1st order Fresnel -- white with red panels. There is a sign about a gift shop 200 yards down the road. Huge gift shop. They are the HL dealer for Lighthouse Gallery. This store has everything lighthouses..a smaller version of Lighthouse Depot. Pat, the sales lady, was great. She made a quick phone call and we soon had a tour guide for the Lighthouse at a cost of $1.00 per person. Ed St. John was our tour guide. He lives right next door to the gift shop. He was very knowledgeable about the area and the light. The climb was similar to North Head's. But this lens--words cannot describe the beauty of this lens with the red panels in front of the Fresnel. When you look up inside the lens, all you see is red...Lighthouse is well kept.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495804[/img]

Back on the road--damn forgot to have my passport stamped.

Mileage -- 16046 (161 from Lincoln City) we arrived at Coquille Lighthouse. This is Mike's favorite -- me, I think it looks like a coffin. Nice area with the well-famed driftwood. We are staying right across the Coquille River at the Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast. Great place--we were the only ones there--had the Grey Whale room with the lighthouse as our view out the windows on two sides of the room.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495813[/img]

Dinner that night was at the Boat Works where our view was, of course, Coquille Lighthouse.

... to be continued ...

Mike & Patty

[This message has been edited by Kaiz (edited 02-09-2001).]

Re: West Coast Trip #63056 02/09/01 08:20 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Oh, I am so glad the weather was beautiful while you were touring....your digital photos are absolutely GREAT! Thanks for letting us enjoy your trip

Waiting for some more.......
Derith

Re: West Coast Trip #63057 02/09/01 09:51 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pictures Mike and Patty! Good to hear all went well. I hope to get out to that area some day myself!

Re: West Coast Trip #63058 02/10/01 12:50 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Great so far guys! Will be anxiously awaiting more, especially Mike's cliff and camera experiences!

Re: West Coast Trip #63059 02/10/01 04:25 AM
N
NiagaraLady Offline
N
Your trip sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I love the pic of Yaquina Head - it's a prize winner - Patty did you take that one while Mike was repelling over the rocks???? Looking forward to your next chapter.

Re: West Coast Trip #63060 02/10/01 01:13 PM
DeDo Offline
Thanks for sharing the experience & pictures. Brought back memories of the lighthouses we did see five years ago on our trip to Oregon. Plus the ones we didn't get to. Someday we'll get back, I hope. Can't wait for the rest of the photos!

Donna

Re: West Coast Trip #63061 02/10/01 01:44 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Day 3 -- 1/30/01

After a great breakfast, we got ready for our next voyage. Before we left, Shirley (the owner of the B & B) took pictures of us on the deck with Coquille behind us. Left around 9:00 a.m. - mileage was 16055. Headed back to Coquille (7 miles from B & B) where more pictures were taken and the search for rocks and driftwood was on.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495807[/img]

10:00 back on the road towards Cape Arago - it was a beautiful sunny day. We had a ½ hour delay due to pilot's short cut which was actually a logging road which ended up who knows where. We turned around (smart move!) and found the right road. We reached Sunset State Park and were headed up the Cape Arago viewpoint. As we passed a turn off, I happened to look back and had a perfect view of the light. After turning around and taking some pictures, we were headed out. Passed Lighthouse Road but sign was posted that said "No Public Access"-decided not to pursue trying to get closer.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495816[/img]

Headed back around 11:00 mileage was now 16102, but does not really count due to Mike's short cut.

We were ahead of schedule and we were passing Umpqua, so Mike pulled in just so I could get my passport stamped. On our way through Florence, we stopped at the Lighthouse Gallery to check out what they had.

Before Haceta, it was a trip to the Sea Lion Caves, where you can view the largest natural sea lion cave. There were hundreds of sea lions lounging around. Of course, it was also nice that they had a "Lighthouse Viewing", where climbing up some stairs you are looking out a hole in the rocks at Haceta Head, where you could see both the Lighthouse and Keepers House.

Arrived at Haceta head to find a note taped to the door that no one was there, explained which room was ours, and how to lock the back door. Was a little disappointed that no one was there. After a little exploring on our own, the Keeper's assistant (Jody) came and explained some of the schedule to us. We were on our own for the evening and breakfast would be served at 8:30 - lasting about two hours (remember it's a 7-course breakfast) and following breakfast we would have the tour of the lighthouse. We found out that the Coast Guard will start to fix the lens the following week and that until the work was completed, no one would be allowed in the tower. I picked the room that we were staying in because the light would be shining in the window - well no Fresnel, but you could see the auxiliary light. Before heading back to town for dinner, we were out on the trail watching the surf pounding the large rocks. It's just amazing the power of the ocean. On the way back from dinner, the sun was setting. Mike hurried back so we could see the sunset from Haceta. He ran up to the light to watch the sunset…I stayed down by the Keepers House. Beautiful sunset as the sun slowly sank into the ocean. Great ending to the day.

We spent the evening watching the surf, checking out the lighthouse books and trying to remember how many lighthouses we have seen so far (at the end of this trip it adds up to almost 90). Nice and relaxing evening.

Day 4 - 1/31/01

Got up early to watch the sunrise at the lighthouse. Sea lions were in the water right below the lighthouse. Cool and windy morning, but clear. It's kind of sad that the light isn't operating. It looks bleak all covered up. I learned that as soon as a lens stops rotating for any reason it has to be covered so the prisms don't start fires.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495878[/img]

Beautiful sunrise above the bridge overlooking Haceta. Waited until the sun hit the tower to take pictures and headed up the trail above the lighthouse for more pictures.

Almost time for breakfast so we headed back down. Seven-course breakfast was amazing. There was one other couple from Portland and the woman's sister from Florence for breakfast. This was the first time that we meet Mike (the keeper) did not meet his wife, Carol until after breakfast (she was busy preparing breakfast). Breakfast took about 2 hours to complete and then it was up to the tower for an abbreviated tour: 1) because we wanted to be on the road by 11:00 and 2) because the Coast Guard was there to take measurements and other work to start fixing the lens. The work was scheduled to start the first week in February and take about 2 months.

In the workroom there were old pictures. Jody explained that they hoped to rebuild the second Keeper's Quarters as well as the barn to make the complex look like it was originally. When we viewed the lens, you could actually see how it was tipped. As Mike said-most people see the lenses in working condition, while we got to see one while it was broken down.

I actually remembered to get my passport stamped before we left. We were back on the road at 11:30 - mileage was 16200.

When we arrived in Bandon, we called Frank and Jan Cramer who we had prearranged a tour of Cape Blanco. They met us at the gate and led us back to the lighthouse. Mileage to Cape Blanco was 16310 (110 miles from Haceta Head and 16 miles from Rt. 101).

Frank and Jane took the two of us on the tour like we were a party of 20. Explained everything about the tower and even opened the door on the Fresnel so Mike could take pictures of the inside. I was too busy talking to take any pictures (sorry). Left Cape Blanco at 2:36 heading towards Crescent City, CA.

Found the lighthouse around 4:00 p.m. - mileage was 16403 (93 miles from Cape Blanco). Battery Point was a quick walk over a small beach and up a trail. When the tide is in, you can't get to the light. We were there at a good time and could cross. Found the public library in town. Timing was right-Wednesday at 6:00 pacific time-9:00 EST. Got logged on to the internet to get involved in the chat. No such luck, must be the library doesn't allow access to chat rooms. Oh well, we tried. So we drove back to the lighthouse to see it at night. Looks pretty nice with the lights on.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495952[/img]

Re: West Coast Trip #63062 02/10/01 02:15 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Loved today's update....so excited that you got to climb so many. Cape Blanco and Umpqua are truly treated with TLC by the folks that do lighthouse preservation.

Derith

Re: West Coast Trip #63063 02/10/01 03:45 PM
Art Offline
Nice job, Patty & Mike. I also like the shot of Yaquina Head in the morning light, against the dark sky. Patty, your narrative brings back very fond memories of my own trip to that area a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I did that one while away on business, without Mariann. I need to get back there some day with her and do the B&B thing. Sounds like you had a great time. I'm thoroughly enjoying your report. Thanks for sharing.

------------------
-Art
[This message has been edited by Art (edited 02-10-2001).]

-Art
Re: West Coast Trip #63064 02/10/01 04:03 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Wow what a wonderful trip you had. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure. The pictures are breath taking. Glad your home safe and sound. See you in April.

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: West Coast Trip #63065 02/10/01 05:59 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Patty & Mike,

Sounds like a great time was had by all. I'm glad your preplanning worked out well, for the most part.

Great that you could arrang ea tour of Cape Blanco. We were there one of the days it is closed. We also mistimed Battery Point. saw the outside, but not inside.

Great pictures. thanks for the report.

Dennis

Re: West Coast Trip #63066 02/10/01 07:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Patty and Mike-
Thanks for your reports. Keep it up. We are looking forward to doing that trip next year (We are planning the Great Lakes this year) so all your stuff realy excites us.

thanks again.

Harry and Judy

Orlando Florida

Re: West Coast Trip #63067 02/11/01 01:03 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Day 5 - 2/1/01

Another trip to the Battery Point after breakfast to take a few pictures. We didn't get to get inside of this one. Mileage at this point was 16409.

Took a side trip through the redwoods to try and see some elk. After back on Rt. 101, there was a whole herd of elk by the road. Pulled off the road in a turnaround to watch them for a few minutes.

Sixty miles later, we were at the Trinidad Replica. Found it right away and headed to the headland trails to try and find the "real thing." After climbing up unmarked trails (and Mr. Mountain Goat was again taking side routes up cliffs looking everywhere for the light) we reached the top where there is a stone cross. Mike said that we had to be close because they usually showed the cross & light together. We started walking around and finally saw a black ventilator ball and lightning rod - nothing else. Couldn't find a trail down to the light (Mike did try to go down some deer trails but would have ended up crawling on his belly). We found out later that it was on Coast Guard property and had no public access-well at least we tried. And I'm counting it as one that we've seen-ventilator balls & rods count!!

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495971[/img]

Headed back down (this time on a paved road that we didn't know about-would have saved us some time) to take pictures of the replica. The replica has a red ventilator ball-the least they could do is paint them the same color!

On to Old Table Bluff. I made an error in reading the directions and we ended up a little off course (only around 10 minutes). This light has been moved and now sits in a parking lot of Woodley Island Marina. The lens has been removed and is in a maritime museum-which we did not stop at. (NOTE: the tower is straight…it's the photographer!)

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495982[/img]

Back on the road to Cape Mendocino. Well, if you ask me this is probably a "can miss" light. It is 23 miles off of Route 101 which is nothing but sharp winding "S" curves (15 mph curves). It has been restored and relocated in a small town called Shelter Cove. Saw a lot of deer along side the road. Mileage when we finally reached the light was 16590 (121 miles from Trinidad).

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495991[/img]

Had about a ½ hour delay in traffic due to earthquake repair to Route 101. Right after the construction we get on Route 1. Oh no the first 22 miles are winding "S" curves again. Can't wait to get back on straight roads.

Reached Fort Bragg and still had enough time to find Pt. Cabrillo which is six miles south of Fort Bragg and two miles from Route 1. Mileage is now 16688.

What a beautiful location. The lighthouse is still closed for restoration and located on a 300 acre natural habitat. The one thing we both noticed was how quite and peaceful this area is. On the ½ mile walk from the parking lot to the lighthouse, we saw several deer grazing. They've done a great job in the restoration of this light. The lens is beautiful. I hope the next restoration project is on the Keepers' Quarters and they are in severe need of repair.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40495995[/img]

There is a cove by the Lighthouse where the ocean water is a beautiful green color with cana lilies planted on the sides of the cliffs.

Back to Fort Bragg to find a place to stay. Found the "Harbor Lite Inn" and had a nice room for $45/night. Remember this is off season so the prices are cheaper.

Day 6 - 2/2/01

Mileage as we headed out of Fort Bragg was 16697.

Drove down Route 1 to Point Arena-44 miles from Fort Bragg. The gate into the light is closed and signs all say "no trespassing." But you can't get a decent picture this far from the lighthouse. We watched the deer grazing in the fields while we waited for it to get a little lighter. It is a cold, damp and foggy morning. After it gets a little lighter, we open the "locked" gate and head down the road to get closer to the lighthouse. As we are walking down the road, a car passes us. as we get up to the Keepers' Quarters, a woman walks up to us and starts lecturing us on "rules." We told her that we understood her rules but that we had come all the way from NY and we wanted to get a better picture of the lighthouse. (At this point we "greased her palms" with a donation and her attitude changed. Also the Keeper, John Sisto, told her to let us go up to the light.)

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515047[/img]

Everything I found on this lighthouse says it is open daily, but it is closed during the week during December and January. In fact this was going to be their "Free Open House" for the season. John Sisto was extremely nice. Saw Mike's "Genesee Brewery" jacket-his wife grew up not too far from here in Elmira-so he knew about our home town.

He told us that the Fresnel is a one-of-a kind that sits on a mercury bath. The lens is not lit because it will cost $50,000 to remove the mercury and the Coast Guard and their organization is arguing on who is going to pay for it. Another problem is that there is only one person in the U.S. who does this kind of work and he has severe mercury poisoning.

The Lighthouse Gift Shop doesn't open for another two hours-to much time to wait for postcards, so it's back on the road headed to Pt. Reyes.

Pt. Reyes is 20 miles off of Route 1 - mileage is 16867 (126 miles from Pt. Arena). From the parking lot it is about a ½ mile walk to the visitor center. Then it's down 302 steps (which is comparable to a 30 story building) down to the lighthouse. We were told if it is too windy they close the lighthouse. But we had great weather…so down we went. Nice light with a 2nd order Fresnel. They have a small equipment room with a few displays. After taking pictures and admiring the scenery, it was back up the 302 stairs…this is like no Stairmaster that I've ever used! Stopped once to enjoy the view (yeah sure-I couldn't breathe!).

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515052[/img]

At the visitor center it was time to get my passport stamped and to buy a few postcards. Ranger told us about a shorter route to San Rafael which was through a redwood forest and not winding roads. Okay I got us lost again in San Rafael - but it was a quick turnaround and we were headed on 101 S towards Richmond.

Now comes to the highlight of the trip-East Brother Lighthouse. Saw East Brother from the San Rafael-Richmond Bridge. We arrived almost two hours early to be picked up, but the directions were confusing and we weren't sure how long it would take us.

Captain Gary picked us up at 4:00 p.m. and a short boat ride had us at the island, where First Mate Ann was waiting to greet us. After a quick climb up a vertical ladder we were on the dock. Where Ann greeted us and asked for our selections for dinner (chicken or salmon) and breakfast (French toast soufflé or oatmeal).

Since there was only us and another couple, they upgraded our rooms to the two that had the private ½ baths. We were originally in the Two Sisters Room downstairs and our new room was the San Francisco Room, with a nice view of the bay and bridge.

We were then given free rein to explore the island (couldn't get lost because it wasn't very big)!. We were told to meet Gary in the upstairs parlor at 5:30 for hor d'oeurves and champagne and he would begin the tour.

We set of exploring on our own-the first stop was the lantern room and the widow's walk. They have a marine beacon in the lantern room (there originally was a 4th order Fresnel). The view is gorgeous!!

In the center of the island is this large white "bump" which is still the active cistern. They use the rain water for drinking, cooking and washing. Thus the rule of no shower for only a one night stay. They are very concerned about the dry winter and are worried about the water supply. The toilets use rain water.

There is a 4th order Fresnel in the Walter Fanning Fog Room (where the equipment for the fog signal is located) as well as where the room available to stay in appropriately called the Fog Signal Room. This is not East Brother's original lens. That lens was destroyed when it fell off the museum's pedestal in the 1989 earth quake. This one they believe came from the original Cape Florida. Some of the panels were damaged and the rumor is that these panels were damaged from gun shots during the Civil War.

Gary is a great tour guide, great sense of humor and very knowledgeable. He started the original fog horn up for us. The original fog horn is a diaphone fog horn-not sure how many of these fog horns are still in working condition. I don't think I've ever heard anything so loud. Gary was sure proud of his little "toy."

The horn signal is also Ann's notice that the tour has ended and we were ready for dinner.

After dinner, Mike wanted to experiment with taking pictures-off we went with tripod and camera for low-light timed exposures. Gary came out for a cigar and told us more about the restoration of the light and their fight since they became keepers to make it a first-class experience. They have spent $26,000 just on painting this year. Gary asked us about our stay at Haceta Head. To me it's a hard comparison. I loved Haceta Head but this experience is so unique. Gary kept stressing that they want to have a 1st class operation-and I believe they have achieved it!

I just can't believe the beauty of this place. I'm not sure I could live here-a little too isolated-but I would love to visit frequently. Mike said maybe for our 20th anniversary next year.

The only thing that would make this experience even greater would be to have four other wacko couples from the forum. We would have a blast! The other couple that was staying overnight weren't really into lighthouses.

The fog horn runs continuously from October to March. They even have ear plugs in each room. To us it was great-didn't bother our sleeping at all. Mike wonders if the neighbors will complain if we install one at home.

Day 7 - 2/3/01

I'm up at 5:30 so I could write in my journal. Mike gets up around 6:15 as it is starting to get light. We grab a cup of coffee and it's up to the tower to watch the sunrise.

Before breakfast, it was back to taking pictures as the sun hits the lighthouse. Gary also told us about a nice place if you want to stay near Point Arena - It's called the Coast Guard House in the town of Point Arena. Maybe next time we're in the area.

After a very filling breakfast, it was back to the tower for one last view. We had to be down at the dock by 10:50 a.m. to miss the Ferry's wake. Said our good-byes to Ann and headed back to the harbor for our trip into San Francisco.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11484734&p=40515138[/img]

If you want to look at all the pictures I took at East Brother, you can use this link.

See my photos of East Brother at PhotoPoint

Went to San Francisco via the Oakland Bridge…no sign of Yerba Buena. We won't be seeing this light as the Admiral refused our request to gain access for picture taking. The reason they finally gave me was that the area was contaminated.

Found our way to our friend's apartment in San Francisco and headed to Pier 39. Too crowded for me, but we did see Alcatraz from the Pier.

Re: West Coast Trip #63068 02/11/01 02:31 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Patty & Mike,

Thanks for this continuing your story.

I'd say based on your description and the pictures that East Brothers is a First Class operation. The pictures from there were excellent.

I cheated and looked at the West coast pictures. some real nice shots in there also.

I'm glad you were able to get into Pt Arena. It's also nice to see the scaffolding off Pt Cabrillo. it was still on when we were there. Did you read all the whale signs on the way down to the Lighthouse? Did you find anything down at the lighthouse with the answers?
We forgot to ask the people we talked to about them. We were too excited about meeting the Coast guard ANT members while they were waiting for their ride back (a giant helicopter). We got some info and had our Passport stamped while there.

I feel better now about having to bypass Cape Mendocino. I'd still have liked to get there, but your statment helps.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Dennis

Re: West Coast Trip #63069 02/11/01 04:34 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Patty & Mike,

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us! The photos are great and the commentary makes me feel almost as if I was there. I really enjoyed your posts.

Thanks again,

-Todd

Re: West Coast Trip #63070 02/11/01 08:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just want to say thanks.The stories and photos are great.Wow, I haven`t heard the term "palm-greasing" since the last election.LOL

terry

Re: West Coast Trip #63071 02/11/01 10:26 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Thanks once again Patty and Mike for letting us feel your excitement. I know there is more.....can hardly wait.
Derith

Re: West Coast Trip #63072 02/11/01 11:02 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Thanks Patty & Mike, I enjoyed reading about your trip very much!

Re: West Coast Trip #63073 02/11/01 11:42 PM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Patty and Mike for the great journal and pictures on your trip west. It makes me want to take that trip someday.

2beacons

Re: West Coast Trip #63074 02/12/01 09:54 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Day 8 - 2/4/01

After breakfast, we went to get the car...parking in this city is crazy. You have to park almost a mile away!

Got in the car and headed out to Fort Point. This is a neat little lighthouse that is located at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. This light was not used very long due to the construction of the bridge. Mike loves it here, because there are so many different places and settings for photos. In the first picture I took, the lighthouse is so dwarfed by the fort and bridge that you can barely see the lighthouse.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515419[/img]

Back to the car and went over the Golden Gate Bridge towards Sausalito for coffee. Then it was on to Point Bonita. I was retired from being copilot for this trip because our friend said he knew where he was going. (Yeah, sure!) After missing the exit and going back over the Golden Gate Bridge - turning around and headed back over again, we finally found the right exit. If you are headed north into San Francisco, make sure you get off the highway at the second exit for Sausalito (last exit before bridge). The road down to Pt. Bonita is another six miles of steep and winding "S" curves. (There is actually two ways down to the lighthouse...this way was along the coast and became one way.)

Found the parking lot and walked about ½ to a tunnel. There is a door on the tunnel that is only unlocked when the Lighthouse is open. If it's not open, you can't get to the light. It is opened Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 12:30 to 3:30. We arrived right at 12:30-just as the rangers were getting there. After the walk through the tunnel there is another ¼ mile trail to the suspension bridge that takes you to the lighthouse. The suspension bridge has a 5 person limit-and even without wind that thing swings!! I surely don't want to be on the bridge if its windy!

The lighthouse currently houses a 2nd order Fresnel. You have a great view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge from the Lighthouse.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515697[/img]

Back to the car and San Francisco, where we parked the car and went sightseeing around San Francisco.

Day 9 - 2/5/01

Got up early to go down to Pier 39 to get tickets to Alcatraz. Everyone says they sell out fast-but we are on the off season. The fog started to roll in just as we sat down for breakfast. We decided to take the second ferry over to Alcatraz in hopes that the fog would burn off before we got there. It's a little better when we arrive, but still foggy. We take the ranger tour being offered at the time - Escapes of Alcatraz. The ranger gave several scenarios of attempted escapes-all failed except the one that Clint Eastwood did the movie. The official word on those three is - presumed drowned.

We were at the island about 12 years ago and never really paid much attention to the lighthouse-in fact I really don't remember the lighthouse. I'm amazed that the lighthouse is so central and visible...I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

We tried to take pictures, but the tower kept being covered with fog. You can hardly see the Golden Gate Bridge-most of it is covered in fog with only the upper part even visible.

The rangers were up in the lantern room-we wondered if there was any way could see if we could get up there. But we didn't try.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515729[/img]

Back down to the dock to get my passport stamped. That was it for lighthouses today as we spent the rest of the afternoon walking around Pier 39.

Day 10 - 2/6/01

Not much lighthouse viewing today either. We went down to the ocean and walked to the Cliff House for breakfast (very expensive). The Cliff House has great views of the ocean and "Seal Rock." Very windy today-winds were supposed to gust up to 50 mph later in the afternoon.

The Cliff House has a gift shop that sells Harbour Lights...but they mark everything up (even things that are not retired). Went to the Visitor Center located below the Cliff House to get my passport stamped for Mile Rocks. The ranger at the visitor center told me that "no one ever asks for the lighthouse passport stamp anymore." In fact, we asked for directions and they had to discuss the best way for us to go. Actually the trail to the lighthouse is only up the road a little way and through a parking lot. Only a short distance from the parking lot on the trail, you can see what remains of Mile Rocks Lighthouse. The tower was removed in the 1960's and all that remains is the orange and white caisson.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515744[/img]

Back on a bus towards downtown. Our friend had originally picked up our passport from the US Lighthouse Society Headquarters on Kearney Street in downtown San Francisco. He said that we would be going near it so we really should stop to see it.

Are we glad that we went!! Wayne Wheeler, the President of the US Lighthouse Society, came out of his office and started showing us around. I think they have information on almost every lighthouse in the world. He showed us pictures from the "Log Keeper" which showed their trip to France (with Nancy Younger participating). He told us that they saw a lighthouse in France that has stain glass in its chapel - Cordouan Lighthouse. Wayne stamped my passport and we joined the Society. We were planning on joining the Society when we returned home, but we were right at the headquarters-so we joined. If you need to research a lighthouse-I'm sure they have information on it.

Day 11 (last day) - 2/7/01

We left San Francisco at 5:30 a.m. because everyone says that traffic out of San Francisco is crazy. We don't hit much traffic as we head towards Highway 1. After breakfast, we arrive at Point Montara around 7:10. The gates are open, but the sign says that it is only open from 7:30 - 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 to sunset. The light is located right outside the town of Montara. It is a small cast-iron tower with a marine beacon. It is very windy and cold. We wait for the sun to hit the tower. I went and got my passport stamped at the Hostel's office. Waiting for the sunlight to change, we actually stayed at this light around an hour.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515768[/img]

Left and headed south on Route 1 to Pigeon Point (which is 28 miles from Pt. Montara). You can see Pigeon Point from a distance. The road to the lighthouse is right off of Rt. 1. Again, this is a Hostel. They have built several buildings that they wanted to use for more rooms for the Hostel, but public outcry has won because they felt it ruined the Lighthouse, so the buildings are going to be torn down. The new buildings do actually ruin the area for the Lighthouse. The lighthouse is not open today, but we take a few pictures and I get my passport stamped from the Hostel's office.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515809[/img]

Back on Route 1. This section of Route 1 is pretty straight...no winding "S" curves.
Arrive in Santa Cruz (56 miles from Pt. Montara). This lighthouse is actually a surfer's museum that was erected at the original Lighthouses' location. Even though it is recognized as a lighthouse, it looks like a library!

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515823[/img]

It's still early, so we decide to try and make Point Piños. We've been pretty lucky, traffic has been light. What a beautiful place Monterey's coastline is. The water is so blue. We should have planned our trip to spend a couple of days exploring this area.

Find Point Piños, but it is closed on Wednesdays (they are open Thursday - Sunday) and it has a high fence around it so you can't get a good picture. Mike goes off in search of a place to be able to take pictures. (There is a golf course on the side and behind the light.) There were three men talking by the gate. Two of them leave and an older many says to me, "You're a day too early." He then comes over and asks me if I could come back tomorrow. I explain to him that tomorrow I will be back on a plane headed home.

Turns out that he is a docent for the lighthouse and offers to take us on a tour. He unlocks the gate and locks us in "so no one else will come in." Mickey Donnan was a neat man and it was very nice of him to take time out of his day to give us the tour. He gives us the grand tour. He explains that the granite the lighthouse is built from was actually excavated from the site. In the basement of the lighthouse, they have a display of a buoy light, part of a Fresnel lens, a fog horn, and a reflector. The lighthouse currently has a 3rd order Fresnel.

The upstairs of the house (parlor, bedroom, bathroom and Coast Guard radio room) are furnished with furniture from the era. Point Piños is the oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the West Coast.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=24989&a=11481446&p=40515829[/img]

After he left, Mike went back on the golf course to get pictures of the other side of the lighthouse. I don't think some of the golfers were very happy...oh well, that's what lighthouse wackos are all about!

This is the end of our lighthouse vacation. We had a great time. We saw a total of 28 lighthouses and all of them were unique (also got 13 new stamps for our passport). The highlight of the trip was East Brother, followed by Haceta Head and Coquille.

Re: West Coast Trip #63075 02/12/01 10:25 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks so much for sharing your journal and your great photos! What a trip!

Re: West Coast Trip #63076 02/12/01 11:37 PM
Torchbearer Offline
Wow Patty and Mike, sounds like a wonderful trip! Thanks so much for posting your great photos, and of course your journal.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: West Coast Trip #63077 02/13/01 02:12 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Oh Boy, did I ever enjoy your trip thru your journal and photos. Are you ready to do it again? The good fortune at Pt. Pinos was great!.....Now, rest up so you can go again soon...
Derith

Re: West Coast Trip #63078 02/13/01 02:22 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures, great narrative and great luck.

Looks like a great vacation . thanks for sharing with us.

Dennis

Re: West Coast Trip #63079 02/13/01 09:26 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Absolutely beautiful!!!! What a fantastic journey you experienced! Thanks so much for sharing it with all the HL Family of Friends!

What's next for Patty & Mike?

Bob

Re: West Coast Trip #63080 02/13/01 02:31 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I love these LIGHTHOUSING reports, it gives us all a mini trip. Thanks Mike and Patty. I can tell how excited and how great the trip was by the quick posting on the Forum.
You mentioned how expensive the Cliff House was? When I was in SF about 12 years ago, there was a little snack bar around the corner from the Cliff House with a better view that the bus driver told me about. I also ate one morning at the Presidio cafeteria which had the best view of the Golden Gate Bridge through the picture window. Steak & Eggs was about 2.99. I just walked onto the base from the bus stop at about 6:45 am, I'm sure that cannot be done in these days of terrorism?
thanks again,
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: West Coast Trip #63081 02/13/01 10:21 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for all the very nice comments, it was a great trip. For anyone thinking of doing a trip like this one, consider going in the offseason. The weather can be cool and a little iffy but it seems like you have the entire coastline all to yourself. We hardly ran into anyone at the lighthouses, had no trouble eating at any restaurants and could wheel and deal some on lodging.
Patty made the trip a breeze by spending quite a bit of effort in organizing a rather large notebook with all kinds of directions and great info. We would have never been able to include so much in the available time without it.
The only downers of the whole trip were being yelled at for trespassing at Pt. Arena and maybe spending a little too much time in S.F. ( we won't mention the speeding ticket or being told 15 people drowned a couple of years ago in the area I climbed out onto to take pics of Cape Diappointment.)
The highlights are to numerous to mention, being that it probably was the best vacation we have taken so far. I have to take a moment though and mention just one, and that being, to have been able to experience such beauty and wonder with my best friend, Patty.

Kaiz

[This message has been edited by Kaiz (edited 02-13-2001).]

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users