Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62798 11/07/04 02:01 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Coming out of the Big Dig, we came to our next light, Marblehead. WOW! This is GREAT light. The wind was still bad...on the way back to the car, I was running, but it wasn't voluntary. You can see how windy it was by the flag whipping in the wind.

We could also see Bakers Island, Hospital Point, and a mysterious lighthouse-like tower from here, which we would see better later.

Next stop: Salem. First was the Derby Wharf Light. I wanted to take it home!

Then we went to Ft. Pickering. This seemed to be everyone's favorite light. I'm not sure why...just something. We walked all over the rocks and fort to get some interesting shots.

Next up: The Hospital Point Range. We went to the front range first, now the home to the USCG Regional Commander (or something to that effect).

And the Rear Range, in the steeple of the First Baptist Church in Beverly - the "lighthouse" is the little square. Okay, you can't really see it (you could on the camera and TV!), but it's about in the middle of the "pointy" part of the steeple.

Next up was the final light for this segment, Bakers Island. We had seen this light from around the harbor where all these lights are located, but did not get a good photo yet. To view it, we had to go through a very poor section of town...I don't think their houses were big enough. wink

From here, we could also see the "mystery tower" close-up. Anyone know what this is? It is in Wentworth-by-the-Sea on Harbor St., near Black Cove.

Next up: Part 6: Cape Ann!

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62799 11/07/04 02:07 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

Here's some more requests for those of us that are out of the loop-

1. Where exactly is the Atwood House Museum.

2. What source gave you the directions to Hyannis Harbor to get that picture- and could you get it without violating private property?

3. What guide were you using to get the views of Sandy Neck, Duxbury Pier, Minot, Graves and Boston Light?

I'm enjoying this trip- especially this last part as I am planning on getting to some of these Lighthouses in January for the 2005 edition of Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate And You the great annual NELL event for true Lighthouse Wackos- Lighthousing in New England in January.

Last year it was 17 degrees with a 25 mile an hour wind out at our first stop at Watch Hill, RI.

Dennis

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62800 11/07/04 02:13 PM
Grover Offline
Greg ...

Again, thanks for taking us along .. you are certainly covering much ground in a short period of time ...

Thought maybe you and others would like to see a picture of Fort Pickering light from the early 1980's ... my notes say 4/20/82 ...

When previously posted, it wsa mentioned that restoratioon took place shortly after this ...

Grover

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62801 11/07/04 02:25 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Dennis-

The answers to your questions:

1) The Atwood House Museum is located st 347 Stage Harbor Rd, Chatham, MA, 02633. Their URL is http://www.chathamhistoricalsociety.org/[/URL]

2) Kenneth Kochel's book, "America's Atlantic Coast Lighthouses: A Traveler's Guide" gave me the directions. I just took my photos from the cul-de-sac - the lighthouse was right above me.

3) Sandy Neck - Kochel
Duxbury - Mass. Lighthouses Map and Guide, available from LH Depot:
link Minot: Kochel, though we got lost and found it somewhere else.
Graves and Boston: Map and guide, though once again later discovered in Kochel. Graves was more of a "stumble", and my long zoom was needed for that photo. Just drive around the spit that Hull is on, and there are many vantage points.

Barry-

It's a lobster lighthouse! laugh Wow, that's a lot different from today! How...red! Thanks for sharing!

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62802 11/07/04 06:10 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

Thanks for the info. I have the Kochel book already. I may try and get to some of these lights on the way to or from the NELL event in January.

Dennis

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62803 11/07/04 06:46 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Last year it was 17 degrees with a 25 mile an hour wind out at our first stop at Watch Hill, RI.
:rolleyes: Thanks Dennis! eek

I was just starting to recover and thaw out from that event in January! I am almost ready to shut the heater off in my car and then you have to go and remind me of what we experienced at Watch Hill! wink

I can't wait for the next LHHC&Y. See you there!

My best,
Paul Conlin
ALF Secretary

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62804 11/07/04 06:48 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Oh, I remember that! Wow, was it windy! I may not be able to make the '05 event...it's pretty far, and I saw all the lights already this week...PPM might fail. frown

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62805 11/09/04 04:03 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I was reminising until you got to this part Greg! This is a gap in my Lighthousing travels.
Bob wink

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62806 11/09/04 08:41 PM
RFoster Offline
Greg - again Thank You for sharing your trip for all of us to enjoy. Grover, neat shot of Fort Pickering "then". Paul & Dennis, I'm looking forward to this years LHHC&YOU and actually climbing inside the steeple to see the range light. Also, it will be neat to see Marblehead with the Christmas lights streaming down making it look like a Christmas tree. I hope we have some snow on the ground but that the wind is not blowing like last year. Nice threads Greg.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62807 11/09/04 11:06 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I hope we don't get too much snow Ron, like in my road, as if we don't I'm planning on attending! smile

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 5 - Boston to Baker's Island #62808 11/22/04 12:13 PM
Augie K. Offline
I'm looking forward to this years LightHouses Hot Chocolate and You. Can't wait to see all my Lighthouse friends. Have a great Holiday.

Augie K.
NELL Member

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 805 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users