Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape2Cape - Part 4 - Plymouth to Boston #62746 11/06/04 11:43 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Continued from:

We headed to the North Shore. We had not planned to visit Duxbury Pier, but a look at my new Map and Guide said it was visible. We went for it. Saw a repair shop with some nice old Rovers, too.

And of course, when in Plymouth and in sight of it, one MUST see Plymouth Rock. Yes, this is the famed Plymouth Rock. Yep, that's it. Kinda smaller than I thought. I was thinking something...bigger.

We also saw the Mayflower II, but I didn't get a photo.

Next stop: Scituate. As noted on these forums, it is undergoing renovation. Thus, my photos have LOTS of scaffolding. The High Wind Advisory talked of on the radio proved true - I opened the door of the Rover, and a brochure I had had inside instantly flew out of the car and over the seawall. A trashcan almost hit the car, too. I didn't even bother closing the door.

Next stop was Minots Ledge. I was looking forward to this one. We got REALLY lost, but somehow found the tiny town of Minot, MA, complete with post office. I learned two more things about Bay Staters:

1) You guys sure like your tall concrete seawalls.
2) Have you EVER heard of putting both street names on a streetsign?!?! :rolleyes:

This photo was taken with my 32x digital zoom, but at this small size, it still has some detail.

Another unplanned stop...but how could this one be missed? We HAD to see Boston Harbor Light, first in the nation! And what a light!

Also, Graves Light.

We then descended into the Big Dig (was looking for a patrol car, BobM...isn't that where you are stationed?) What a technological marvel! An overbudget marvel, but nonetheless a marvel.

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 4 - Plymouth to Boston #62747 11/07/04 08:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Once you entered Rte 93N towards Boston from Rte 3, you were in Troop H. I'm stationed at Sub-Station H-3, SP Foxboro. We cover Rte 95 from the Rhode Island line to Rte 128, Rte 495 From Taunton to the Franklin/Bellingham line, and all of Rte 295 in Massachusetts.

I was surprised to see the scaffolding at Scituate Light. I thought the light was in pretty good shape the last time I visited there.

The last time I was there the wind was howling from the Northeast. Salt water was draining across the access road leading to the light. They had a dump truck with a plow trying to push the stones off the road that you take to exit the light's area. Finally, they had to come out with a front-end loader to clear the rocks off the roadway so people could leave the area. It was very interesting to say the least.

smile Bob smile

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 4 - Plymouth to Boston #62748 11/07/04 10:02 AM
RFoster Offline
Greg - Thank you for posting your images in the various threads in this forum. I enjoyed looking at all of them, especially the ones standing in the middle of the wind swept ocean and your beautiful Truro (Cape Cod) lighthouse picture. I, too, was not aware that there was renovation work being done on Scituate. Keep up the good work and keep posting so we can all go with you on your travels.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Cape2Cape - Part 4 - Plymouth to Boston #62749 11/07/04 12:58 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Great report and photos, Greg. You do good work!

As you know, we all love to take these virtual lighthouse tours with our buddies!

Thanks for taking us along! And thanks to your family for allowing us to travel in style in the Rover!

Re: Cape2Cape - Part 4 - Plymouth to Boston #62750 11/07/04 02:05 PM
Grover Offline
Greg,

I thought your Minot's Ledge shot captured it perfectly ... what angry seas that day ...

Great travelogue you are providing ...

Grover

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,278 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users