Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62475 08/11/06 02:19 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's a couple photos of the lighthouse from last May when Jaker's and I ventured to Cooperstown. The light's at the local marina and doubles as the tour boat ticket office. I kind of like the stop sign...just in case you're fool enough to try driving into the lake???

Re: Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62476 08/11/06 09:39 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Really Sue????????
I've been to Cooperstown a dozen times and did not know there was a lighthouse? Is it a real one?? Still working? Do you know what street?
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62477 08/11/06 11:25 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice photos Sue. The stop sign...they put one up on Lake Winnebago-pretty much the same scenario as in your picture...every year there are at least one or two "fools" who manage to drive into the lake! Common sense would dictate that if you see water at the end of the road that you would stop?????

Debbie
Re: Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62478 08/11/06 04:35 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bob, don't know how "real" it is but there is a light in it. Most likely they light it up at night in season for the boaters. It's at the end of Fair Street I believe, just to the right of the park. Just head down towards the water and you'll find it.

This is an example of the crappy photos with the new camera when taken at 6 mg then reduced. If I'd just taken them at the lowest setting and not reduced them they would have posted better.

Re: Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62479 08/11/06 04:47 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Sue, ...Here's another stop sign you had better stop for or the cost of recovering your vehicle will be more than the traffic ticket. This one is at the end of a road at Snug Harbor, part of the Point Judith area.

smile Bob smile

Re: Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62480 08/11/06 05:03 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee, Bob, if they ignored the stop sign and drowned out the car, would they also get a parking ticket since there is no parking posted?

You all have to remember that there is a true idiot born every minute and you know that more than a fair share of them will find themselves at the end of these roads . . .

Re: Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62481 08/11/06 06:31 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
The Mass Highway Dept rebuilt an intersection near me to accommodate a new Mall. Part of the construction was to eliminate a left turn lane on route 1 south at route 152. They put two large message boards advising "No Left Turn". They also put several "No Turns" signs along with traffic markings on the pavement indicating straight ahead only. They put in one of those international signs for no left turn. They also changed the solid green traffic signals to green arrows.

The intersection is extremely dangerous to anyone attempting a left turn and that's why they did it. We had a near fatal there last Spring because someone ignored the no left turn warnings. There have been many crashes at that scene because people chose to ignore the signs. Needless to say, I drive by this intersection on my way home from work. I use to catch one person a day when I was traveling by. Now it's more like one a week. It has gotten a little better. After I ask for their license and registration, I always ask them if they know why they were stopped. Most say they have no idea. I then advise them it was for an illegal left turn. The usual reply is they didn't know they couldn't make a left turn there. Then I explain about the various signs and markings they ignored. Then they usually ask how long its been like that. I tell them almost two years. Then they claim they didn't know that. Most people stopped are from that town or close to it, and pass by there most every day or so.

I would like to tell them their nose is growing but I always remain polite. The "new kid on the block routine doesn't work with me". The guilty must be punished...GIG!

smile Bob smile

Re: Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62482 08/11/06 10:54 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Dave, maybe the no parking is just on the tarmac and it's ok to park in the water? As long as you come to a complete stop before driving in? Of course we can't read the white sign behind the others. I'm sure Trooper Bob would find some way to ticket the offender, politely of course... wink

Re: Cooperstown, NY Lighthouse #62483 08/12/06 04:46 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Darn! Now there is another lighthouse I missed before I left Syracuse. Guess that gives me another reason to come back for a visit. laugh

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,226 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users