Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cedar Point Lighthouse #62438 05/12/99 10:43 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
My son had a baseball game at Easthampton HS on the east end of the south fork of LI yesterday. This was a trip of 1 1/2 hours so I worked in a little LIGHTHOUSING to make the trip worthwhile.(ed. Later in the day my son hit a 3 run HR to make the trip even more memorable.)

Take Route 27 east to Easthampton. Before reaching the village of Easthampton, look for Stephan Hands Road and make a left. Follow Stephan Hands Road several miles and follow the signs for Cedar Point Park. When you reach the park, drive past it about a mile to the beach.

You can see the granite lighthouse from the beach but bring binoculars or a long telephoto lens for a better view. A better idea would be a boat to get to Cedar Island.
The LH resembles Old Field or Great Captains Island.
UPDATE: You can access the LH from the park, it's said to be a mile walk along the beach on the inlet from where you can park your car. The LH is boarded and cemented up but can be viewed from the outside.(This info is from a Park Ranger - I will update again after a visit.)

http://suffolkhome/exec/parks/historicsites/hced.html

http://www.greenport.com/lighthouses/#anchor116033

This is a great little side stop on the way to Montauk LH.

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 05-17-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62439 05/12/99 03:02 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Bob,

Saw your post for Cedar island.

I think it would make a great HL don't you?

Did you ever try to walk the beach to see if you could get a close as possible??

If not, get an early start!

Sorry I missed you at the signing, stay in touch!

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62440 05/14/99 11:38 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It's been a couple of years since I visited Cedar Point Light, but correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Cedar Point on a small island accessible only by boat? I had left my boat in Sag Harbor and took my Zodiac out to the "granite lighthouse on the small sandy island." My wife and I were the only people there. At that time I didn't even know what the name of the light was until I visited the Montauk LH and saw their display which included Cedar Point. I think it was around 4-5 years ago when I landed at the light. The light was in a state of disrepair. I was quite impressed with its size and design.

If anyone would like to see a couple of pictures I took of Cedar Point at that time, drop me an email at Biri97@aol.com and I'll send you a couple of jpegs.

Bob

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62441 05/17/99 10:28 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Last Friday, I discovered the true meaning of lighthousing. Buoyed by my Tuesday sighting, another baseball game, additional research and my daughter, Kerri, home from college to share my trip; we ventured back to Cedar Point in search of a way to reach the LH.
We arrived at Cedar Point Park at 1:30 pm and virtually had the park to ourselves. After talking to an attendant and getting a map to find the LH, we were offered two ways of getting there. One, take the trail from the check-in house or two, drive through the campsite, park, etc, to a small dirt parking lot about 2 miles away. The length of the trail was not mentioned.
We made the correct decision to drive as far as we could get.
This route took us to a small dirt parking lot from which you cannot see the LH, so make sure you have the map and head in the right direction which is a left out of the parking lot when facing the water.
The trail along the water took us over very rocky beach, then a small strip along protected "piper plover" nesting areas, and finally to open beach. (This was at low tide so going at another time probably will mean slippery rocks and wet feet. I would not suggest doing this barefoot, we both wore sneakers.) It seemed like we walked 15 minutes before we could see the top of the LH. The adventure was about 35 minutes of brisk walking to the lighthouse.

Cedar Point LH is not an operating light, a steel tower and light are adjacent to the lighthouse at the point of the peninsula.
It is still very impressive, with it's granite stucture rising out of the dune on the point. My earlier comparisions to Old Field or Great Captains' Island were premature as the structure is very different even though it is granite. All the windows are sealed with cinder blocks but the structure is still beautiful and majestic as it claims its place on the point surrounded on 3 sides by the bays it oversees.
This remote location is rarely visited by foot a this time of year as evidence by the abundance of fist sized scallop shells and thousands of those nautilis type shells.

Our adventure took about 2 hours from the gate of the park. About 35 minutes each way walking briskly. (I guess it was about a mile and a half each way.) Bring a lunch to eat (on the rocks that prevent eroision at the point), and your camera. The view and is quite outstanding. If your into seashells, bring a pail - this is heaven for LI!!

I now know that lighthousing is not just driving up to the LH, parking and walking a couple hundred feet. Even though we could not enter or climb the light there was a great sense of adventure and accomplishment in finding and getting to Cedar Point Lighthouse.
Hopefully pictures will follow.

------------------
Long Island BOB

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62442 05/17/99 01:09 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks Mike and Bob M for your interest and feedback of your experiences. This experience has really given me a new feeling about lighthouses. I kinda felt like an explorer finding something that few have experienced. I'm sure campers in the park and boaters are plentiful in season but on this beautiful day in May it was just Kerri and me.
If my pictures turn out, I'll probably make a pitch to BY for an HL. I took photos from all angles, closeup, rooflines, etc. I even took a digital video but the tape jammed in the camera, so I'll have to hold my breath on that.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62443 05/17/99 02:04 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree wholeheartedly with Long Island Bob!

With deference to BY and Derith, flying over a lighthouse has never appealed to me, like the adventure of approaching by land or by sea. It is really special touching the lighthouse and even more special going in the lighthouse.

I will always cherish the memories of my trip to East Quoddy Lighthouse last year. Walking across the rocks and sand as the tide receded was both a challenge (slippery) and a rush knowing that I was probably only one of thousands, maybe even only hundreds, to make the journey last year.

Like the ABC Wide World of Sports opening says, The thrill of victory (being right at the lighthouse) and the agony of de-feet (sore feet are proof that it was a bit of a challenge).

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62444 05/17/99 02:31 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Hey Bob,

This is what the forum is all about!!

Lighthouse lovers sharing ideas, experiences,
and view points. I enjoy reading about other peoples lighthouse journeys and I also enjoy sharing them.

The unique architecture of Cedar Point would be great Harbour Light. I would love to see it, the more Long Island HLs the better!!

And to Saint Wacko Paul.....................

I couldn't agree with you more, the journey and the discovery are all part of the experince!!!

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 05-17-99).]

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62445 05/17/99 11:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enjoyed your adventure and will keep it in mind for my Long Island trip later this year.

By the By, in response to the mentioned of my airplane rides, I have gone on many "on foot-- I'll get to the lighthouse come any condition,", however, there are some times when one doesn't have time, a boat, or any other way to get to a lighthouse. I could have never gotten to all the FL key lights if it were not for the airplane. Getting prior permission, getting details worked out and making a travel plan is all a part of the lighthouse experience. In some cases, airplane photos are the best way to see as many lights as I can in the limited amount of time that I have.

Derith

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62446 05/18/99 09:25 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
Derith,

Any means at your disposal is the best way to see a lighthouse. Of course the best way is on foot and to actually get inside for the climb.

I would love to see some lighthouses by plane. What a different and interesting perspective that must be. Looking down or flying along side one of the great Atlantic Coast towers has to be a breathtaking experience. Time for me to make a few phone calls to see what is involved in doing a flying tour around my "homeland" (Long Island).

Thanks for "planting the seed"!!!!!!!

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62447 05/25/99 01:01 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's where a photo will be:
The back

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 05-27-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62448 05/27/99 11:18 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The back

The back

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62449 05/27/99 02:20 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Great Photos Bob!!!

I must say they rank up there with the finest photos I have seen of Cedar Point!!

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62450 05/27/99 02:20 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
I forgot to say........................

Would make a great HL!

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 05-27-99).]

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62451 05/31/99 09:22 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Imagine my surprise when a see a thread dedicated to one of my favorite lights!

The Cedar Island light is a beauty, alright. Too bad its in such a state of disrepair. Allow me to give some background info on this light (you'll find more on my web site)...

Before the construction of the first real lighthouse on Cedar Island in 1839, stake lights were put on the island to help direct whaling ships returning to Northwest Harbor in the town of Sag Harbor.

On March 3, 1837, Congress appropriated $1000 for the construction of a lighthouse on the island. Another $2500 was appropriated on July 7, 1838 to provide enough money.

In August of 1838, the town of East Hampton agreed to sell the three-acre island to the government for $200. This was recorded in the "Suffolk County Record of deeds" by Assistant Clerk Ezra L. Hommidieu (LI light fans should know that name) on December 7, 1838 at 6PM.

A wooden structure was built in 1839 approximately 130-150 feet northeast of the present structure. In 1855, the nine lamps with 14 inch reflectors were replaced by a sixth order Fresnel lens.

On March 2, 1867, Congress appropriated $25,000 for the construction of a new light. In 1869, the present L-shaped granite structure, quite similar in plan to the upstate Saugerties light, was completed. The granite came from either MA or VT (I'm still working on that). The new light, which cost $24,992.62 to build, was given a fifth order Fresnel lens.

In 1882, a fog signal was established at the station. By 1885, the island was down to 1 1/2 acres due to erosion. In 1899, new lamps were installed inside the Fresnel lens.

By the turn of the century, the island was down to about an acre in size, and from 1903 through 1906, thousands of tons of riprap were dumped to help stop the erosion.

The lighthouse was decommissioned and replaced by a skeletal structure in 1934. A survey of the island in 1936 shows that the island was down to .947 acres and that "the size and shape of island is continually changing as a result of erosion and accretion." The high water line was halfway across the base of the structure at this time. This was remedied by the infamous 1938 hurricane which turned the island into a peninsula.

The property changed hands several times before it became Suffolk County parkland in 1967. In 1974, the lighthouse interior and roof were destroyed by a fire. The fire was not caused by vandals, as reported in 1987 by Harlan Hamilton and in 1989 by Newsday. The fire was the result, ironically, of the welding of steel plates by park workers in the doorways and windows of the structure with the hope of keeping vandals out.

In the late 1980's, a restoration effort failed, reportedly due to infighting. Today, the light stands in need of restoration. Personally, I find it disgraceful that a town such as Sag Harbor, which is quick to boast of its maritime heritage, has made no effort to save this light.

I'm hoping that my efforts on my web site and book will help to get another restoration project going. This light deserves it.

If you get the chance, visit this light. Thanks for listening and allowing me to practice my narration for the June 5 East End Seaport lighthouse cruise.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62452 06/18/99 08:15 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
It was nice to see some different lighthouses for the East Coast. I tend to keep going back to Maine lights because of their accessibility, but would enjoy seeing yours on Long Island. As you are a new member of our club NELL --New England Lighthouse Lovers, we will look forward someday to your showing off your Long Island lights to us for a weekend Outing. Thanks for sharing the information.

ladylightkeeper
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62453 06/18/99 10:45 PM
V
Valerie Patnaude Offline
V
Cedar Point Light is a beautiful granite lighthouse. The photos that Bob Scroope took are great! I enjoyed reading the history of the light that Wildbird99 wrote. It would be fantastic if HL were to make a Cedar Point!

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62454 07/16/99 01:35 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Off to Cedar Island (Point) Lighthouse in the morning with Bob Muller (who I met through this post)to explore the possibilities of renovation. Sorry you couldn't make it Mike, see you next time.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62455 07/16/99 01:45 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Sorry I can't make it either "L.I.Bob". My thoughts will be with you guys.

Hope your expidition turns out well!

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62456 07/19/99 09:57 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The adventure continues!
Bob Muller and I visited Cedar Island Lighthouse Saturday in the 95 degree heat.
Armed with a compass, metal detector and survey we attempted to find the foundation of the original LH located 150 feet away. Vegetation prohibited success but we did exchange additional research info we collected and found three basement windows. We also discovered several cedar tree seedlings growing from the cracks of the foundation.
Since this LH has been sealed up for 25 years since a fire, it's kind of like being on an achealogical exploration researching the outside and it's surrounding area of the Light.
We will return in the early fall, when the vegetation subsides and activity in the County Park slows down.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62457 07/19/99 11:34 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
As Bob just mentioned, we have been gathering and exchanging info on this lighthouse's history. While we've been able to gather quite a bit on the failed restoration attempt ten years ago and get a fair amount of information about the history of the station, old interior photos and plans continue to evade us.

There are several upstate lights built of a similar plan: Rondout Creek, Saugerties, Coxsackie and Stuyversant, at least. The plans vary by the placement of windows and doors, but the overall plan is quite similar. We'll have to look at those lights in order to learn more about ours. Perhaps plans to them exist somewhere.

If we are to see this light listed on the National Register, and eventually restored, we'll need to find more records and photos. If anyone here ever comes across anything related to the Cedar Island light, please let either Bob, Mike or myself know. Thanks.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62458 08/14/00 01:32 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Although I missed an opportunity to view the lighthouse recently, another member of The Long Island Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society reported that several cinder blocks have been removed to allow unauthorized access to the Lighthouse which has been closed up since 1974. We contacted the Suffolk County Parks Dept this morning to notify them of our discovery, and to request corrective action and a response on behalf of the Chapter.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62459 08/15/00 01:38 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Glad you folks are keeping an eye on Cedar Island. Can't believe noone else has posted anything about the article written by Bob Muller and appearing in the August issue of LH Digest. Also mentioned couple of guys named Scroope and Seewald. Anyone we know?

Dave

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62460 08/15/00 01:45 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The article by Bob Muller aka Wildbird, Dave was referring to is is currently on the website.
http://www.lhdigest.com/Digest/StoryPage.cfm?StoryKey=809

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62461 08/21/00 01:14 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bob Muller and I went to Cedar Island today:
Bad News - The hole in the cinder block is still there.
Good News - We were able to see the interior of the Lighthouse.
Bad News - The reality that we knew of the once majestic oak interior has been completely destroyed with all that remains are the stone, cement and brick of the interior. We were able to see the cistern and the basement through the opening as well as the timbers from the rebuilt roof.
Good News - Dan Talmadge, the Park Supervisor had already put in a work order to repair the hole.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62462 08/21/00 06:23 PM
LamarB Offline
Good News - You all are watching over it.

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62463 08/28/00 10:54 AM
CarolZ Offline
My husband and I visited Cedar Point this past Friday. We were amazed at the size and beauty of this lighthouse although as many have stated previously it is in need of a lot of help. Is there anything we can do to help start a preservation effort?

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62464 08/29/00 11:41 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Carol,
Here is an organization that is looking to save Cedar Island.
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/000111.html
http://www.longislandlighthouses.com/uslhs/index.htm
Thanks for your interest,
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62465 09/25/01 10:47 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The Suffolk County Parks Department and the Long Island Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society have begun discussions regarding the stabilization and preservation of the Cedar Island lighthouse. A meeting to begin a dialogue was held on September 21 and the County was quite receptive. Expect to see a positive partnership emerge to help save this lovely lighthouse.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62466 09/28/01 04:09 AM
K
kscroope Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
K
More on Cedar Island (Point) Lighthouse in Easthampton, Suffolk County, LI, NY... http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000281.html

------------------
KRISTIN ERIN SCROOPE
kristin@scroope.net
http://www.scroope.net/lighthouses/lhlist.htm

Re: Cedar Point Lighthouse #62467 11/13/01 11:02 AM
K
kscroope Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
K

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users