Next Thread
Print Thread
Misson: West Regional #62388 08/30/02 04:02 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Day: 1

After several hours of a beautiful flight, we arrived in Seattle to experience.... traffic jammed up on I-5 so bad that I turned around from heading to Mukilteo (it might have taken days to have gotten there) and instead it tooks days to get to and around Tacoma so we went to our hotel and checked in about 8pm in the town of Sequim...

and then went to supper ....

at the Three Crabs Restaurant.... Great Food!!!
and just why did we choose the Three Crabs to eat a late supper...

There was Dungenss Lighthouse for our viewing pleasure while we dined... looks like it was about 3 miles across the Bay of Sequim to the lighthouse... tomorrow we will back track a bit and hopefully get to Admiralty Head and Point Wilson Light then head to the coast...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Misson: West Regional #62389 08/30/02 11:54 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
We just took a trip to the lighthouses of WA about 2 months ago. We also stayed in Seguim with friends and your view of New dungeness is much better than ours (fog). I don't know which way you are going, but we saw 17 lighthouses on our trip and you are in for a treat if you can get to some of the same points. We left from Portland, went up the east side of the Puget Sound, took a wonderful trip to Friday Harbour, then went down the east Puget Sound, and then over to the coast. If you get a chance our favorites were:

Point no Point, Lime Kiln, Amirilty Head, Mukilteo, Alki Point (ask the neat guy on the third floor of the apartment complex east of the lighthouse for picture opportunities), Point Robinson, Point Wilson, Grays Harbour, Cape Disapointment, North Head and Burrows Island (if you can convince the tour guide that the Orcas are coming down the Bellingham channel).

You have the opportunity to visit some to the most well preserved, and accessable, lighthouses in the northwest. Enjoy.

Re: Misson: West Regional #62390 08/31/02 03:04 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Day: 2

We started day 2 with a wonderful gourmet breakfast at the Oak Table in Sequim WA....ironically our waiter was a former Hoosier from Indiana.

Rather than backtrack to Admiralty lighthouse, we decided to complete a goal of visiting the 4 lighthouses located at the 4 corners of the 48 adjacent states--onward to Neah Bay, WA.

On the way out of the restaurant I shot this for Mom and Mombo.

Once we reached the end of the road, we had a nice hike (all down hill) to Cape Flattery. Parts of the trail had a nice boardwalk while other parts were a normal path with roots, rocks and other obstacles.

When we reached the end trail, we had a peek at Cape Flattery Lighthouse through the trees.

When we came to the real end of the trail, we find the lighhouse perched on Tatoosh Island, sort of like on a stage in the Pacific Ocean.

On the way back to the parking lot (UP hill all the way), I would cleverly stop occassionally to shoot a picture of the ferns in the forest.....when in fact I was stopping to catch my breath. It surely was easier going to the lighthouse downhill than coming back uphill.

Back on the road, I stopped to shoot a picture of a wildflower. The wildflowers seemed to beautify the whole trip that morning.

When we arrived at Westport WA , where we will visit Gray's Harbour Lighthouse in the morning, George's restaurant was recommended to us as the place to have supper. Boy, were they right! Terrific food and people.

Re: Misson: West Regional #62391 09/01/02 12:02 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the flowers Paul!

I have a photo of Cape Flattery Lighthouse very similar to yours. A friend and his wife spent a month traveling out west around a year or so ago and he was kind enough to give me extra pictures of the lighthouses they visited. Now I know what it took to get that picture!

Why is "Cape" if it's on an island?

Re: Misson: West Regional #62392 09/01/02 02:31 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It is right off the tip of the Cape!!

decided to use separate threads for the different days to keep the threads from loading too slowly... especially for me with the slow connections on the road... Mission: West Regional day 3

Re: Misson: West Regional #62393 09/03/02 08:45 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing the pics, Paul. I'm headed for your next thread right now!

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,329 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users