cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Western Ohio Mini-Adventure #62260 03/30/99 02:47 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I did so much planning and gave so much advance warning on my Oregon/ Washington trip that I thought I'd counterbalance it here. No planning, no warning. As usual, it shows in the results!

Tomorrow I have business in the Akron area. So today upon my 4:08 p.m. arrival at Cleveland airport I drove directly to Akron, by way of Sandusky, racing the sun and trying to keep an 8:00 dinner appointment. (WARNING: This won't make sense unless you're wacko.)

I stopped at Vermillion to see the Maritime Museum there, but it was closing time. As it turns out, this was good timing. Had I gone into the museum, my 8:00 p.m. business dinner would not have been pretty! Outside the museum they have a full size replica of an area lighthouse that had been so neglected it couldn't be salvaged.

After taking a few photos, I headed back west on Route 6, seeking Marblehead. Big mistake folks (not Marblehead, just Route 6). If you do this trip, take the time to backtrack to Route 2 or the Ohio Turnpike. Route 6 averaged about 30 mph (I was stuck behind an 18-wheeler all the way through downtown Sandusky). Follow Route 2 accross the Sandusky Bay (Thomas A. Edison Memorial) Bridge and follow signs to Marblehead. It's well-marked (until the last turn into the park -- turn left just past St. Mary Church).

When I get back I'll post some details and photos.

TTFN

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Western Ohio Mini-Adventure #62261 03/30/99 03:12 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Art,
You're in my stomping region now, if you have any questions while traveling next time, e-mail me for my phone number and I could help alot while your on your cell phone if you have any trouble. You missed a very cute little light "Old Port Clinton Light" in Port Clinton, around 6 miles or so west of Marblehead. Also a nice "Faux" Light on the Cedar Point causeway. (probably would not have had time on this trip)

For the bored Wackos, there is a picture of "Vermilion Light" that Art mentioned in the Photo Gallery I took last year.
http://www.harbourlights.com/galleries/rod_watson.htm

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 03-30-99).]

Re: Western Ohio Mini-Adventure #62262 04/02/99 03:43 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the offer, Rod. Next time I'm in Ohio, I'll try to hit the lights between Cleveland and Ashtabula.

Here are the pics:

Vermilion Light. As Patsy from the movie The Holy Grail said, "It's only a model." Located at the Inland Seas Maritime Museum,480 Main St., Vermilion, OH.

Here's the real thing. Marblehead. From Highway 2, take 269 north. Turn right onto 163 toward Lakeside. Turn left just past St. Mary's Church.

Moonrise over Marblehead, with a closeup of the lantern.

-Art
Re: Western Ohio Mini-Adventure #62263 04/02/99 09:36 AM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hi Art,

The light Rod was talking about on the Cedar Point causeway I believe is the Point Retreat light at the condos. You also missed the Huron light at the end of the city pier. Wish I'd have known you were coming through Huron cause we would have given you the directions to the lights. Maybe next time.

Tom

Re: Western Ohio Mini-Adventure #62264 01/18/00 08:59 PM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
Just completing salvage operations on the 1999 Roadtrip series.

-Art

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users