Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Virginia Lights #62114 09/11/00 12:22 AM
P
Pam Baggett Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Labor Day 2000. I haven’t been home on a long weekend in 2 years. I have a passion that can only be satisfied by travel so every time I get a few days I’m gone. This time I am off to Virginia.

There are only 10 lights in Virginia.

Jones Point (far up the Potomac River)
Wolf Trap Light (can only be reached by boat and off-limits to the public)
New Point Comfort Light (located on a small island surrounded by shallows and mudflats and also can be reached only by boat)
Old Point Comfort Light (a standard light closely located to Cape Henry))
Newport News Middle Ground Light (a caisson or "spark plug" light far out in the Newport Harbor)
Lightship Portsmouth (the name describes this light, a ship?!?)
Old and New Cape Henry (popular lights, both still standing, and you can climb Old Cape Henry!)
Cape Charles Light (an unusual light, it is a "skeleton or spider" light. Located on a remote island and not open to the public)
Assateague Island Light (probably one of the most striking lighthouses, a definite must see no matter how far)
Given this information I decided to go to Assateague, The Henry’s and Old Point Comfort

I knew that if I ever went Virginia that Assateague would be my first stop. I held true to my word.

About a 2 hour drive from Norfolk on the border of Delaware stands one of the most beautiful lights in the Mid-Atlantic. You can see the 142ft., red and white banded structure towering above the thick tree line as you are crossing over to the island and into the Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge. A ¼ mile walk from the road to the light leads you on trails through the woods to enjoy nature and wildlife while you anticipate seeing the lighthouse. Nestled in the trees, you don’t see the tower until you are almost upon it. But when you do, you are awestruck. I went around the backside of the light and was able to capture the scene quite nicely. This light was open to climb and so I did just that. I wanted to stay longer but a two-hour drive back and three other lights were ahead of me. The sky was overcast and in the distance it looked like rain. I wanted to be on my way before bad weather could ruin my trip.

Old Cape Henry and New Cape Henry are, oddly enough, located just across the road from each other. As the story goes… A network of large cracks had begun to split the 100 year old tower. Fearing that the lighthouse would crack open and collapse the New Cape Henry was built to replace it. But both towers are still standing today! Old Cape Henry looks taller than it is. It sits atop a hill which the military uses as a storage bunker. The 90ft., brown brick tower is open to the public to climb. The $2 admission was nominal but the view was worth 100 times the price. From the top you overlooked the military base, the ocean and of course New Cape Henry. The 150ft., cast iron structure with its alternating black and white vertical stripes was very impressive. I could not resist taking pictures of it even through the glass.

The skies had begun to darken and a storm was evident. I was scurrying to take pictures and wandering all around the grounds when I found myself at the front of New Cape Henry (which was off limits). Maybe I was just busy or maybe I ignored the no trespassing sign on purpose, but I just had to have a picture of the front of Cape Henry with the ominous stormy sky behind it. Not only am I proud of this picture because of its composition but because it also proves that sometimes you must take a risk to benefit the gain.

The rain began to fall and I was on my way to Old Point Comfort. It rained all the way to Fort Monroe. Upon arriving the rain let up to a light drizzle. With camera and umbrella in hand I took some beautiful shots of the stubby, 54ft white tower and the crepe myrtles which adorned the yard and the entire Virginia countryside.

I believe my choices were perfect!
What do ya'll think?
Pam

Pam B.
Re: Virginia Lights #62115 09/11/00 03:34 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Sounds like a wonderful trip Pam! So glad to see you back on the forum!

chris g

Chris G
Re: Virginia Lights #62116 09/11/00 01:39 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like a great little trip Pam. All your LHs are on my must see list.
- Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Virginia Lights #62117 09/11/00 02:06 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Pam it does sound like you had a real nice adventure.I hope you`ll be able to share your photos.Thanks for sharing your trip.

TerryBarfield

Re: Virginia Lights #62118 09/11/00 10:19 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks for the great post, Pam. 'Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Its always nice to hear good things about our Virginia "lights".

BTW....in addition to the lightship "Portsmouth" Virginia has 11 lights. "Thimble Shoals" is located at the mouth of the James River on the Chesapeake Bay and "Smith Point" is located at the mouth of the Potomac River.

'Look forward to seeing some of those photos!!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Virginia Lights #62119 09/12/00 01:50 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Did you look to the right as you came off the Bay Bridge/Tunnel on the DelMarVa side? If so, you would have seen Cape Charles.

Have to agree with you on the beauty of Assateague. Hard to believe they can hide a red and white striped tower in the woods like they do! Hopefully when you took pictures of New Cape Henry from the lantern room of Old you included the framing of the windows. Makes for great pictures!

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Dave

Re: Virginia Lights #62120 09/12/00 10:12 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Pam,
Your trip brought back memories of our trip their in 1992. The only regret that I had was not having time to see Assateague. We first saw the Cape Henry lights and then to Old Point Comfort. Seeing two lights at one time (Cape Henry) really adds to the enjoyment! The hole that leads to the lantern room in Old Cape Henry is not very big! I was able to get alot of nice pictures of these two! We had great weather!

Old Point Comfort is still one of my favorites! The area around the lighthouse is just beautiful! Being able to tour the fort was an added bonus! HL really made my day when they made this beautiful light into a figurine! In my opinion it is one of the best they have ever made!

Re: Virginia Lights #62121 09/13/00 01:29 AM
DeDo Offline
Hi Pam,

Your trip certainly brings back memories for us. We traveled the state of Virginia with our boys in 1998. Saw battlefields, Shenadoah NP, Monticello and finally the coast.

The last day we stopped at Virginia Beach, of course I directed us to Cape Henry which we climbed. However, by the time we detoured to Assateague my husband & youngest were tired & cranky. So only my oldest, the college-aged one & I walked up to the light.

It is a special bond that the two of us share. When my husband later saw the photos of the light he regretted staying in the car. A LE Assateague given last Christmas to my older son, but stored in Mom's curio completes the story.

However, my husband & I saw Old Point Comfort for the first time last month on our way down to the OBX. We both thoroughly enjoyed the Casemate museum too. Guess what HL is my upcoming anniversary present? By the way, enjoy your travel commentaries. We used your previous OBX trip suggestions on our recent trip.

Donna

Re: Virginia Lights #62122 09/19/00 04:51 PM
CarolZ Offline
We stopped by these 4 lighthouses this past weekend on our 10 day lighthousing and beach extravaganza. We started in NJ drove down through Maryland to see 9 lighthouses there. The next day we saw Old Point Comfort (and a few from a distance in the water) then went on to the Outer Banks. Spent 3 days looking at the 5 lights from Currituck to Cape Lookout (our personal favorite). On the way home we stopped at the Cape Henrys, saw Cape Charles from the bridge, and then on to Assateague. You're right, the bright red and white stripes were almost invisble until you were right on top of them! We drove around to the other side of the Wild Life Center and got a great picture of the white Egrets and seagulls flying in front of the lighthouse. Can't wait to get my pictures back and relive the trip!!

Re: Virginia Lights #62123 09/19/00 07:56 PM
Brent Offline
'Sounded like a great trip, Carol. I hope that you'll be able to share some of those wonderful photos with us!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Virginia Lights #62124 09/21/00 06:54 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Reading about every one's trips makes me excited to go lighthousing again. I dropped my son off for college in Williamsburg in 1997 and saw all the lights close to that area. However, I never made it up to Assateague. My son will be graduating in May 2001 and I have a week planned for his graduation time. During that week I plan on driving up to Assateague. Does any one know if the lighthouse is open for climbing during the second week of May? Some are only open between Memorial Day and Labor Day?

Re: Virginia Lights #62125 09/27/00 03:02 AM
TD Offline
My wife will be going to Norfolk. She is going on a cruise from I believe Norfolk. What lights will she see? I know Cape Henry is in the area. Should she take a camera so that she can get some pictures for me?

Re: Virginia Lights #62126 09/27/00 10:18 AM
Brent Offline
TD....the "lights" in and around the Norfolk area are (in addition to both Cape Henry's)....Old Point Comfort, which is located across the river in Hampton, Thimble Shoals, which is at the entrance of the James River in the Chesapeake Bay, Newport News Middle Ground, and Cape Charles...which is near the north end of the Chesapeke Bay-Bridge (on Va.'s eastern shore).
Its hard to say, TD, in what direction the cruise will take. Is it a lighthouse-cruise or a general cruise of the area? Certainly she should take a camera "just in case". The chances are that she'll come in relatively close contact with one of'em along the way. Its always good to have a camera along....especially in that area of the country.
With the exception of both Cape Henry's and Old Point Comfort (which are located on-land), the rest of'em are located out in the water near the shipping channels...or, in the case of Cape Charles, which is on a small island.
'Hope this was of some help.....

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Virginia Lights #62127 09/30/00 10:14 PM
M
Mike Thompson Offline
M
Brent, Actually Thimble Shoal Light (no "s" on Shoal) is at the entrance of Hampton Roads. The light at the mouth of the James River is Newport News Middle Ground, which can be seen and photographed from the Moniter-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel which connects Newport News and Suffolk. No stopping is allowed along the bridge tunnel, but as long as you're in the passenger seat coming into Newport News, the view is rather good.

Mike

Re: Virginia Lights #62128 09/30/00 11:30 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
For thimble shoal,if you stop at the rest stop on the bridges you can get a fair view of it.As for assateague it is a long drive from the main highway but well worth it.If you goin June or July bring mosquito repellantwith you.It is a beautiful light and very well kept.
oseabee

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Virginia Lights #62129 10/01/00 08:31 PM
Brent Offline
Actually Mike.....Thimble Shoal sits in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay. And while it may be considered the entrance to Hampton Roads it is also the entrance to the James River. Newport News Middle Ground is IN the James River not at the mouth of it. Check out the coordinates.

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 10-01-2000).]

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Virginia Lights #62130 10/02/00 12:28 AM
M
Mike Thompson Offline
M
Brent, Thimble Shoal is about 3 miles due east of Fort Monroe, and about 8-10 miles from the James. I've worked on both of these lights (having been stationed in the Hampton Roads area in the mid 70's and again from 1983 until I retired in 1992), and have sailed the same waters up until I moved from there last year. As far as coordinates - Thimble Shoal: 37 01 N 76 14.5 W. Newport News Middle Ground: 36 56.5 N 76 24 W. Either way, both are great lights.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Thompson (edited 10-01-2000).]

Re: Virginia Lights #62131 10/02/00 07:56 PM
Brent Offline
I guess there are different interpretations of the NOAA charts as I read them....or have had them interpreted to me in times past.
I to, sailed in the Hampton Roads area for many years and am continuing to do so when the opportunity arises. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Virginia Lights #62132 10/02/00 10:41 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
The Case of the Moving Lighthouse?

Maybe we'll have to call in Perry Mason!

Re: Virginia Lights #62133 10/05/00 08:05 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Captain Newport got some news and thus the name Newport News Point and Newport News City. Rough water and a junction in the water between the James River and The Hampton Roads. James is 4 1/2 miles across at the James River Bridge. The Hampton Roads is 9 miles across between the Navy base and Chesapeake Avenue in Newport News/Hampton. Middle Ground Light is right off of Newport News Point.

Nice article in the Daily Press about her light changing to red so as to stand out from the tunnel to help navigation.

At the narrow waters between Fort Monroe and Willowby Spit you again encounter rough water at a junction. At this point you leave The Hampton Roads and enter The Chesapeake Bay. If you head to sea, Thimble Shoal light will be on your starboard. If you head north, up the bay, stay out in the water or you will run aground on Poquoson flats.

If charts or military personnel differ from this, so be it. As a native of the area, this is our interpretation of these waters.

Now if I could only find Oyster Point in the water?

Moby

Moby
Re: Virginia Lights #62134 10/05/00 07:32 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome back, Moby. Long time, no see.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 10-05-2000).]

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 871 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users