Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61968 06/27/06 03:26 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
For the first time in over 50 years, Little Sable Lighthouse on Lake Michigan, near Silver Lake Sand Dunes, is now open for climbing. I fell in love with this lighthouse when I first saw it in 1994 on a camping trip, and it has remained at the top of my list ever since. I was THRILLED to be one of the first to climb her. She opened up on June 3, 2006. I was in New England that weekend, so Matt, the kids, and I went to visit on the following Saturday, June 10.

View of the interior staircase.

A lightkeeper's view, about halfway up.

Ahhh, that GORGEOUS Third Order Fresnel Lens!

Mary was a REAL trooper. She was scared upon the inital climb, so I carried her (and my camera!) about 1/2 way up, and then she braved it the rest of the way. She got really excited to see the lens and was all gung-ho to climb the service ladder to see it!

The housing and lens support, taken from the outer deck looking in.

The view looking north...

And the view looking south.

Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61969 06/27/06 03:31 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Looking straight up at the lantern room from outside.

View looking north with the outer deck rail and exterior bricks.

View looking south, again from the outer deck.

And, *GASP* looking straight DOWN!

Michael had to wait below with Matt until us gals got back down, because he wasn't allowed to go up - liability. So I took the kids' picture outside while Daddy went to see the view.

Hard to get a shot with no people in on a Saturday, but we managed a few!

Definitely worth a side trip if one happens to venture up that way. It won't be my last time!

Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61970 06/27/06 10:52 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice pictures and looks like nice weather too! You're kids are adorable! Trying to convince my hubby to change our vacation plans from the Keewenaw Penninsula to going to see Little Sable, Big Sable and whichever lights that we could fit into a weeks time. Now that you can actually climb Little Sable, makes it even more appealing!

Debbie
Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61971 06/27/06 12:48 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I adore the Keweenaw as much as the Lake Michigan lighthouses. You won't be sorry for heading that way. When are you going up there?

Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61972 06/27/06 08:38 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Debating on either the last week in July or possibly the first week of August. The last 2 years we have done the first week of August(U.P. & Duluth)we encountered the nasty biting blackflies! So I was thinking maybe a week earlier would avoid them? I really enjoy Lake Superior-she's awesome. Lake Michigan isn't exactly shabby...I enjoy her too.

Debbie
Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61973 06/28/06 01:23 AM
beachcomber Offline
I can't believe Matt is such a big boy already! I agree that Mary really is a trooper for climbing the light! Lovely pictures of your family, and the shots of the lake and light are absolutely beautiful - great colors! We missed you in VA!

beachcomber
Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61974 06/28/06 03:38 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Grace - Matt is my hubby, Michael is the baby. laugh Sure wish I could have made the VA trip, but finances and timing said otherwise.

Debbie, I encountered those nasty flies trying to get back to Au Sable between Munising and Grand Marais the very last day in July in 2004. First time ever getting swarmed like that - I wouldn't wish it on my mortal enemy! A lot depends on the humidity, and wind direction. For Lake Superior, if it's an offshore wind (usually south), the flies come out. I have never had that problem anywhere on Lake Michigan at any time of the year.

Another shot of the lovely Fresnel lens.

From the outside, next to the tower (gotta love wide angle lenses!).

Mary playing in the nice, warm puddle from a recent rainfall.

And a couple more perspectives on my way back to the parking lot, over the dunes.

Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61975 06/28/06 10:59 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jen, That's where we encountered them the worst also! It was hot and humid with a southerly breeze off Lake Superior. We decided to take the beach trail so that we could see the shipwrecks buried in the sand. Started out and wasn't too bad. Soon we were covered! We of course wore shorts-not knowing about the nasty buggers. We had over 50 at a time covering us. I kept thinking once we got up top that it would be better-WRONG! Of course we were 25 minutes early for the opening of tower tour. The ranger got there and I tried to convince her to let us into the keepers house 15 minutes early-to no avail. I was so bitten up that I couldn't handle it anymore. So-unfortunately I didn't get to climb the tower. I was so bummed out!!! I plan to go back so that I can-at least wiser about them. Split Rock had a few last year when we were there. I have never encountered them on Michigan either. Congratulations to Mary for her climb! I took my grandson(age 4 1/2) last fall to Seul Choix. He had no problem climbing up-loved it up there-but had issues coming down! Was slow going, but he made it down and was SO proud!!! I really must get over there to see Little Sable-your pictures make it look so inviting. Did you by any chance visit Crisp Point when you where up there? I LOVED the setting. Got fantastic pictures-it's so secluded and the shoreline is still so unbelieveably wild and primitive. If I can find someone to scan some of my pictures I will try to post them.

Debbie
Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61976 07/01/06 05:54 PM
Brindfan Offline
Wacko
Wacko
GREAT! Now I have to go back to Little Sable. laugh

That will make about 38 lighthouses that I've visited more than once. cool

Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61977 07/02/06 02:09 AM
beachcomber Offline
Sorry, Jen, I know who's who but was not thinking straight. That's a really sweet shot of Mary wading in the water. All your shots are beautiful, as usual.

beachcomber
Re: Little Sable Lighthouse - View from the Top!! #61978 07/03/06 02:04 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice shots Jen. I would love to go back and climb the lighthouse.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 641 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users