cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NELL Cruise June 3, 2006, Western Long Island Sound Connecticut Lighthouses Part 2/2 #61962 06/08/06 12:40 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
After Sheffield Island, we had about an hour to reach Penfield Reef, so it was lunchtime. The first thing I did was get the images I'd taken backed up (some of you remember from the WILD cruise the portable CD burner I had? I broke the card slot, so it was toast - thanks to Fran for saving the day by bringing hers!). By the time I was done burning CD's, I got about 1/2 of my sandwich down and the boat was arriving at Penfield Reef. This light is very similar to Rose Island and Pomham Rocks in Rhode Island.

As we cruised into Bridgeport/Stratford area to see the three lighthouses there, we passed by a tugboat pulling a large flat-bottomed cargo ship (sorry, not sure what the proper term for those are!).

Next on the list was Fayerweather Island lighthouse, also known as the Black Harbor Lighthouse. This charmer sits on the end of a tiny strip of land that is now connected by a large boulder breakwater.

The next lighthouse, Tongue Point, sits on the end of a breakwater that I believe is now on private property - a power plant I think, and it's not accessible by land. The better views are from the water. As these two shots convey, you can get a totally different perspective based on what direction you are viewing the light from.

Re: NELL Cruise June 3, 2006, Western Long Island Sound Connecticut Lighthouses Part 2/2 #61963 06/08/06 12:51 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
After we departed Tongue Point, the boat coasted up the shoreline towards Stratford Point. We got into the general area, and I overheard someone say that the GPS quit working on the bridge. We coasted up and down the shoreline for several minutes, searching for the lighthouse, which was really difficult to spot in 1/2 mile visibility with the thick fog!! Finally, we spotted this lovely beacon, all lit up, guiding the way.

I understand this is a private USCG residence, and pretty much off limits to the general public. A couple years or so ago, there was a nice family living there that did allow people to enter the grounds and take photos and even climb the tower (Fran, we would love to see some images!). I had intended on hitting this light Sunday morning before embarking on the ferry to Long Island, but I was very short on time, having to be at the dock at 7:30am (I did get some nice land based shots of Black Harbor, which I will post in another thread).

The last light of the day was Stratford Shoal. Located over 8 miles offshore from Bridgeport, it is a difficult lighthouse to access, due to the frequent waves and potential storms that occur. It's extremely isolated location makes it even more mysterious and awe-inspiring at what some of the lightkeepers must have endured for their times alone in places like this.

That concludes the 7.5 hour, foggy, drizzle, and rainy NELL cruise. I still had a fabulous time and thoroughly enjoyed the people and the new faces I got to meet! I have a full day of Rhode Island lighthouse, as well as several on Long Island and the remaining Connecticut lights to post as soon as I get the edited.

Re: NELL Cruise June 3, 2006, Western Long Island Sound Connecticut Lighthouses Part 2/2 #61964 06/08/06 03:52 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Jen,

Your pictures are gems. I'm really surprised that you were able to take such great shots in weather that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. You go, girl!!

Sandy

Re: NELL Cruise June 3, 2006, Western Long Island Sound Connecticut Lighthouses Part 2/2 #61965 06/08/06 06:12 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks, Sandy! They took quite a bit of adjustment in Photoshop - levels and contrast adjustment, along with some selective color, to remove the haze and bring out the lighthouse and tonality in the water and vegetation. Straight out of the camera, they were very low contrast and pretty underexposed, which I did intentionally at the time I was shooting so I could bring out the details after the fact.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users