cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Planning vacation... #61860 02/18/02 10:36 PM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, after discussing the Midwest, Myrtle Beach, and Maine, I think we've finally decided to go to Florida...maybe....

Donna has told me I can only stop at four lighthouses along the way. So, I think I've decide to go with Tybee (I get Cockspur as a bonus light from the top, right?), St. Simon's, St. Augustine and Ponce Inlet. We may go with friends who have a 12 year old son, so I know he's going to want to go to Cape Canaveral (not MY stop).

So my question is, does anyone know days and hours that Tybee and St. Simon's are open? I need to plan our itinerary for the drive down and the drive back.

Re: Planning vacation... #61861 02/19/02 12:00 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Larry,

Try these sites for hours and directions:

http://www.saintsimonslighthouse.org/index.htm

http://www.tybeelighthouse.org/tours.htm

btw, you actually drive right past Cockspur on the way to Tybee so you wouldn't actually have to take pictures of it from Tybee's Tower

Re: Planning vacation... #61862 02/19/02 01:15 AM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Bryan...my Google search didn't return them...or I missed them.

Now does anyone have any access info for the two St. John's lights...just in case....

[This message has been edited by Larry (edited 02-18-2002).]

Re: Planning vacation... #61863 02/19/02 01:42 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Larry,

Use one of the most helpful sites on the internet, located just next door on harbourlights.com- The Internet Index of Lighthouse Links .

Unless you have a current military ID you probably can't get on Mayport to see the St. John's lights. However, if you will look at a map and see where the ferry across the St. Johns River lands on the south side, you can get a good view of the Saint John's River Lighthouse thru the fence. Yes, you can even get a decent pic thru the fence.

Cape Canaveral Light is on Cape Canaveral Air Station. This is a very closed base. You can get a distant view (and I do mean distant) from several locations in the area. They say one of the Cape Canaveral tours goes kinda close the the lighthouse, but I don't know this for a fact.

If you are being limited, the 4+1 you have are excellent choices. You can climb all four, and each has a great museum. Ponce Inlet has a fantastic display of Cape Canaveral's lens in a building built just to display it.

Enjoy your vacation,

Dave
[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 02-18-2002).]

Re: Planning vacation... #61864 02/19/02 01:54 AM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Dave...so Mayport is basically out and Cape Canaveral is a long shot. Just as I suspected.

I'm very familiar with The Internet Index. Visit almost everyday, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of directional and visitation info on these particular lights...go figure. That's why you guys are here...to help me plan my family vacation!

Re: Planning vacation... #61865 02/21/02 01:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Larry-
Being an Florida Lighthouse "Wacko", I'll
put my oar in the water and say that unless the present world situation has changed, the
two lights at St. Johns are easy to view.
Also the Amelia Island L/H is very near to your route. It is true that Cape Canaveral
is tough (I tried for years but finally was able to go with the Fla. Lighthouse Assn. trip) Also the St. Augustine L/H is easy and a must. I know that you said only four but I would really push for smeof these since you will be so close.
Happy Lighthousing.

Harry

Re: Planning vacation... #61866 02/21/02 02:40 PM
CarolZ Offline
I did the Florida trip last Feb and was not able to see the St. John's light that was on the Navy base. Restrictions were tight then...now you probably will have an even harder time.

Re: Planning vacation... #61867 02/21/02 06:56 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The St. Johns Light is not a particularly attractive light, IMHO. Viewing it allowed "checking it off" the list, but it really wasn't all that much to look at. The St. Johns River Light is a more enjoyable to see light, and as I mentioned above, you can see it from the fence. It is very close to the fence, and, as above, it is pretty easy to get a decent pic thru the gate in the fence (there is enough room to shoot an unonstructed pic). For all those red freaks, you will be happy here if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, you can't walk up and touch it, but that is the justification to plan a return trip.

Again going on memory, instead of taking the interstate south from St. Simons take the back road - I think it is hiway 17 and then A1A. This will get you close to Amelia Island (might as well take a quick peek since you are in the neighborhood.....) and then take the ferry across to Jax and you will come out at the corner of the Naval Station, with the SJR light just a block or so away. Then you can be on your way down the road to St. Augie.

Dave

Re: Planning vacation... #61868 02/26/02 01:44 AM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to all for the assistance. Our plans are made and it will be Cockspur, Tybee, St. Simons, St. Augustine and Ponce Inlet, and maybe the range light on the light post in the park in Savannah. Unfortunately, no time for Amelia Island or either light at St. Johns.

Oh, and Disney World!

I'm looking forward to the lighthouses, but (cover your eyes, you may not like what you are about to read), I'm actually looking forward to our last two nights at Disney the most. They have a new hotel there called the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We have booked a "Savannah View" room. And I ain't talkin' Georgia. The hotel backs up to the "African Savannah", and you have live African animals, giraffes, zebras, wildebeasts, etc., grazing right below your balcony. I'm gonna set up my tripod and a chair and have lots of film on hand. I can't wait until mid-June!

Re: Planning vacation... #61869 02/26/02 10:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like a great time, Larry! I just hope you don't walk in your sleep. LOL

You'd better practice your Tarzan yell before you leave.

Bob

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users