cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
November in Michigan! #61822 09/13/02 06:03 PM
lhlover Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, it's offical - I LOVE THIS SITE! smile In less than a week's time I have met a bunch of fellow Lighthouse Junkies, chatted about Lighthouses, found many new Lighthouse sites by your posts, and much more. This also seems to be a great site to meet people in different Lighthouse organizations and to get great ideas on visiting lighthouses. You guys are GREAT! smile Unfortunately everything seems to be happening September/October - boat trip to Delaware, boat trip to S Carolina, meetings, tours, etc.

My husband notified me last night that his work wants to send him to Detroit, Michigan at the beginning of November. Kenny has been trying to get me to quit my job and travel with him - his ploy is - "Think of all the Lighthouses you can visit while I'm at work." Trust me, it's a VERY inviting thought - not have to work, travel, and see lighthouses. Hmm!?! Anyways, Kenny asked me to come to Michigan with him - he will probably be there for a month to a month and a half - maybe even longer. Two things stop me - my job and the snow! I told him that I would take a week off work and visit him (and the Lighthouses) and he asked me when that would be.

Where y'all fit in - I was wondering if any of you Michigan LH Junkies knew of any special Lighthouse events planned for November. We have been to Forty Mile Point, the two LH's and two range lights at Presque Isle, Alpena tower, Stergeons Point, and Tawas Point (Old Presque Isle was my favorite smile ). I would like to visit a few Lighthouses I haven't seen, but I am always willing to go back to ones I've been to before. {Especially since I didn't have my Passport book when I visited those eight. frown }

Let me know if anyone knows of anything happening. I would like to stay on the eastern side of Michigan, but would be willing to travel depending on the event. Thanks for your help!

BonnieJean

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: November in Michigan! #61823 09/15/02 02:56 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Hi Bonnie Jean,

Too bad you'll miss the Great Lakes Lighthouse Festival in Alpena which is the middle of October. Off hand, I don't know of any Lighthouse Events along the Lake Huron shore in November, but going north along the shore from Detroit is a wonderful trip that I did in April, 2001. Personally, I love to photograph at Point aux Barques at the tip of the thumb and there are several lighthouses along the way as you go northward, not to mention the lightship Huron just south of the Bluewater Bridge to Canada at Fort Gratiot, MI. The Ft. Gratiot light is there and as you go north several others before you get to Pointe aux Barques. I'll attach a couple of photos of Point aux Barques to whet your appetite a little later today after I get the uploaded.

The other thing worth mentioning is that Detriot isn't on Michigan's snowy side!!! That tends to be more over here on the west side of the state where the snow comes in off the lake if that helps some.

Gary aka lighthousephoto

Re: November in Michigan! #61824 09/15/02 03:17 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Can you say "snowmobile suite"?

I'll second Gary's post above - but keep in mind that IF a lighthouse is open for touring, there's a good chance it's not open in November. Once again, the Lighthouse Links page can point you in some directions.

And don't forget when you are in Detroit, the country just SOUTH of you has some good lighthouses to see also. (That would be Canada.)

But don't be sad. With this much advance notice and all these Lighthouse friends, there are some lighthouses that YOU may be able to get into when you know the right people and know how to plead and beg.

I've moved this thread fromt he General Forum to the Map Room.

Re: November in Michigan! #61825 09/15/02 05:59 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Now, if my husband said, "quit your job" and linked it with travel and said "think of all the lighthouses you can see while I am working".....well I would already have my bags packed!!! Those have to be the greatest words any husband could say to a lighthouse loving wife!!
Derith

Re: November in Michigan! #61826 09/16/02 12:31 AM
lhlover Offline OP
OP Offline
I hate the cold, but I love Lighthouses. Plus I don't have any pictures yet of Lighthouses with snow around them. :p I remember last winter when my husband was in Detroit, they got some snow and even had a few days that they couldn't go to work, but for the most part it wasn't that bad. Of course, being a Good Ole Florida Girl as I am, I freeze when the weather is below the frigid mark of 73º! frown

When it comes to getting into a Lighthouse or a base that has a Lighthouse, I just about have no pride. I will beg, plead, and sweet talk as much as I have to, to get into the Lighthouse. wink A lot of the time I tell them that I am with the Florida Lighthouse Association and am just visiting, it seems to get me into a lot of places. That's how my husband and I got a personal tour of Sapelo Island Lighthouse back in July. It's either that or they let me in just so that I'll leave them alone and they think it will get rid of me! smile

About quitting my job - I have been with the company for 4½ years. My boss is great and is like a father to me now (I'm the daughter he never had nor wanted!). We have a small office and it would take a lot to train someone else to do my job - I'm the Operations Assistant (fancy word for Purchasing/Scheduling Secretary). I am a very independent person and hate giving up my career. I lived on my own for over 3 years and learned that a good job is hard to find. I also make good money for the area and hate the idea of giving it up, especially if I decide that I hate all the traveling. I also have two cats - one I've had for 8 years and one I've had for 6 years. I wouldn't have to give them up, but I wouldn't be able to see them all the time. It's really a lot to give up, so I still have a lot of thinking to do. Though I really love the idea of not working and travelling to see Lighthouses. My husband also tried to sweeten the idea by promising to buy me an expensive camera and pay for photography classes. Oh the decisions! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your suggestions - does anyone know of a good book for Canada Lighthouses with DIRECTIONS!? I have not been able to find one that had directions yet. Please let me know a title so I can get it. Thanks!

BJE

BonnieJean
Re: November in Michigan! #61827 09/19/02 04:03 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
BonnieJean,

As with all folks looking for info on Great Lakes lights the books to buy have to be the three by Penrose. She has one for Michigan; one for the eastern GL; and, one for the western GL. The books start at one location and make a lap around the lake(s) giving you a little info, generally a pic, directions and a map for each light that can be visited. The books are in black and white, and cost about $15 each. From other posts, you know where to find the books ....

Also learn to search this particular forum for LOTS of info about actually going lighthousing. Spring of 1999 we made a 3 day trip up to the area north of Detroit - some of the Michigan thumb lights and mostly over to see Canadian lights. This thread contains info about that adventure. Never did add pics to that thread - think it was pre scanner and pre digital camera days.

Dave

Re: November in Michigan! #61828 10/01/02 01:15 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
BonnieJean -

Hi! I am going to Michigan next week. As I was going over my materials I decided there is a book for the Lake Michigan side of the state that I think is better than Penrose. It is very complete and I love the historical info and pictures along with the directions to visit present day lighthouses.

Lighthouse of Lake Michigan Past and Present by Wayne S. Sapulski. It is published by Wilderness Adventure Books, P.O. Box 856, Manchester, MI 48158, phone 800-852-8652, 2001.

I bought it at Lighthouse Depot for $29.95. It features 134 lighthouses, 256 color pictures, 181 historical images, maps, directions and historical information.

Suzanne Murphy

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: November in Michigan! #61829 10/01/02 11:17 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
BonnieJean,

I like the idea of pictures of lighthouses with snow around them. I no longer like snow, but snow in New England is a given. When it flies, I'll have to get out there with BobM and we'll just have to get some pictures of New England Lighthouses with SNOW!

Thanks,

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: November in Michigan! #61830 11/28/02 04:15 AM
lhlover Offline OP
OP Offline
Well Gary, I hope your invitation to the West Coast of Michigan is still open. I will be in Detriot, Michigan 12/2 - 12/6. I will return here for a week and then will be back in Michigan from 12/16 - 12/23. My husband and I will then be headed to Ohio to spend the holiday with his brother. I have been watching the Weather Channel and they say that Michigan has been getting snow. I am not looking forward to the cold, but I really am looking forward to getting some pictures of Lighthouses in the snow. smile

I hope you and every one else has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I won't be online for a week (I don't have a lap top - YET wink ), but will be back online when I get back home. I'll chat with everyone soon! cool

BonnieJean
Re: November in Michigan! #61831 11/28/02 04:04 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bonnie Jean, have a safe trip. Don’t get frostbite! If you know what’s good for you, you had better take a lot of pictures and share them at the next FLA meeting! If you happen to be flying up to Detroit and are going out of Tampa International, wave at everybody’s favorite Mustela on the way through the airport At least I think I will still have a job there come Monday morning.

Eric
Re: November in Michigan! #61832 11/29/02 04:18 PM
lhlover Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Eric. We will be driving up to Detriot today. I will then fly back at the end of next week, work for the week and then fly back to Michigan after the TBHLCC Christmas party, and stay for another 2 weeks. I'm not looking forward to the cold, but I am looking forward to the snow. I know that sounds silly, but it makes complete sense to me. :p

I'll see all my fellow Club members 12/14. See-ya then! smile

BonnieJean
Re: November in Michigan! #61833 11/29/02 06:36 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Hey BonnieJean, come on up! We're getting a small gale off of the lake today... They're calling for 9-13 foot waves tomorrow morning, building to 11-15 feet in the afternoon! Not to mention 6-12 inche of the white stuff tonight and tomorrow morning. Welcome to Michigan, BonnieJean!

Gary

Re: November in Michigan! #61834 11/29/02 08:01 PM
lhlover Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah! That's just what I want - extremely cold weather in a cold weather state. I miss Florida already and I haven't even left. They were saying on the news that the weather was going to be cool here this weekend - low 70's. Ugh! I wish this was still my problem. I look forward to seeing your lighthouses! smile I'll call you when I get settled in your wonderfully cold state. laugh

BonnieJean
Re: November in Michigan! #61835 12/01/02 03:14 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Cool in the low 70's this weekend... hmmmmm have we got a new definition of cool in store for you up here in the frozen wastelands, BonnieJean! Come on up!!!! smile

Yesterday was what you might call a "fresh" day out at St Joe's when I was photographing. A nice "fresh" breeze out of the north at a constant 30-40 with gusts to 60 and a temperature in the upper teens to low 20's with horizontal sleet and snow! Ahhhhhhh makes you feel really alive! smile But then again, some here on the forums are convinced that I'm completely crazy! O well.....

Gary

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,315 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users