Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mediterranean Travel #61787 04/22/08 11:24 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I took another grandson on a cruise - this time in the Med. And since I wasn't traveling with Bob, I didn't pay as much attention to lighthouses as I would have with him.

I flew from BWI to Miami (where this grandson lives) and then we flew from Miami to Madrid and then to Barcelona where we recovered from jet lag. We took the Bus Turistic, and I did find to very small sections of pictures taken from the top of the bus of Torre del Reloj one of the old harbor lights in Barcelona. This old lighthouse built in 1772 is now a clock. In this picture it is just to the right of the tree trunk.

This was the picture I took right before that one - not very good I know but I was riding on the top of a double decker bus.

After two days, we boarded a cruise ship bound for Italy. I did better with the lighthouse on Monjuic because I took a lot of photos from the deck of the ship, including some of the Castillo de Montjuïc.

This is halfway up the hill and since I took a lot of pictures of the whole hill, some of them had the lighthouse in it.

These were taken as we left the harbor and we sailed about 8 pm so it was fairly dark.

I also took this photograph and wondered if the black thing in it might be a new lighthouse being built.

This was taken near the aquarium of the harbor entrance

And this one was from the deck of the ship in the afternoon

Re: Mediterranean Travel #61788 04/22/08 11:47 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We did see these sculptures,

which are meant to represent lighthouses

Also in the area was this jagged sculpture which is also a children's slide.

From Barcelona, we have a sea day (it rained so we couldn't see anything of passing islands.

Then we went to Civitavecchia which is the port for Rome.

Re: Mediterranean Travel #61789 04/23/08 02:03 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
This post WWII faux lighthouse was right next to where our ship was docked at Civitavecchia

My grandson and I had a driver meet us at the port, and we did a tour of the Vatican, walked around the coliseum, saw some sights and then came back to the ship.

The next day we were to be in Naples

Re: Mediterranean Travel #61790 04/23/08 04:46 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Those "lighthouse" sculptors are interesting. And I had to giggle about the faux light next to the ship ... would not be too effective shielded by the huge cruise liner

Thanks for showing the pictures!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Mediterranean Travel #61791 04/23/08 02:35 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
YW - here are a couple more. From the port in Naples, we first went to Pompeii and then took the cliff road down the Amalfi Drive.

I saw a lighthouse which according to the signs on the fence was in a Zona Militare/Divento di accesso which I interpreted to mean - no trespassing. Although the Lighthouses of Southwestern Italy says Site open, tower closed.

I think this is the Castellammare di Stabia which is at the southeast corner of the Golfo di Napoli only three or four miles south of Pompeii. When I first saw it, I didn't have a chance to take a picture, so on the way back, I was keeping a lookout for it. The lighthouse is located on the Via Panoramica overlooking the town and harbor.

At lunch I took photos of the old lookout towers

Then as we were leaving port, I saw the Faro di Napoli at the end of the mile long Mole di San Vincenzo, the main breakwater for the harbor of Naples

The statue is of of San Gennaro.

This is another one, not as good. It does look as though there are people out at the end fishing, although the Lighthouses page listed above says that it doesn't appear that anyone can walk out there.

Re: Mediterranean Travel #61792 04/23/08 06:52 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I have three lighthouses to show you from the Venice area. The first one we saw coming in on the ship, and it is known as La Pagoda. The seaward front of the building is painted in a black and white checkerboard pattern which seems to have graffiti on it.

When I saw it (I was at breakfast), I got up and ran outside - this picture also shows the mountains behind Venice.

Later I saw these structures, which I decided were not lighthouses but simple channel markers

- this one appears to be number 20.

This one has St. Mark's square in the background.

I wasn't sure when I took the pictures whether San Giorgio Maggiore Orientale was a lighthouse or not,

but the lighthouse website says

Quote:
Approx. 12 m (39 ft) octagonal stone tower with gallery... San Giorgio Maggiore is an island across the Grand Canal from the center of Venice. A breakwater protects a harbor on the north side of the island, and this is western of two identical towers at the ends of the breakwater.

Re: Mediterranean Travel #61793 04/23/08 07:04 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The third lighthouse, we saw on the tour to Murano/Burano

The lighthouse is painted white; near the top there are two black horizontal bars - although the Lighthouse website says there are three. The one that appears to be a third one is the lantern part

The lighthouse is said to have a lean in the seaward direction but I straight my photos with Picasa now so I may have straightened the lean out of it.

Quote:
Located 3.2 km (2 mi) west northwest of the front light, on the southeast side of the Isola di Murano, near the foot of the Calle Giuseppe Briatio

We left the ship in Venice and flew back home - so I don't have any more lighthouse pictures from the trip.

Re: Mediterranean Travel #61794 04/23/08 07:38 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow, interesting looking lighthouses. Great pics !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users