Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NELL's weekend and Shipwreck at Nantucket #61731 02/19/06 07:30 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I thought that some members might be interested in the following pictures and the story
that goes with them.

On May 5 & 6, 2005 NELL held its spring meeting on Nantucket Island. Most of us boarded they ferry together and made it safely across. It was a bumpy ride to say the least which was due to a nor’easter heading our way. After the next ferry docked and unloaded its precious cargo of humanity, the ferry was cancelled.

The storm hit that night. Little did we know that we would be stranded there for an extra couple of days. With all of our events/tours cancelled, we were able to push up our schedule and headed out in a couple of jitney busses to see Sankaty Light and the Coast Guard Station with another stop at the Life Saving museum on the one tour that was not cancelled.

The pictures and newspaper article are of a shipwreck from the day before we arrived. The pictures depict the Hanna Sara, a clammer, 1 day after its demise. The next day several NELL members went back to the grave of the Hanna Sara and to their surprise she was GONE! Pounded and destroyed by King Neptune’s minions. The only thing left was part of her superstructure. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the 2nd day as that would show you the power of the ocean and what can happen in such a short time.

Newspaper article re Hanna Sara

continued

rdited to fix links

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: NELL's weekend and Shipwreck at Nantucket #61732 02/19/06 07:40 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko

Sankaty Lighthouse in the mist

Brant Point C.G. Station – Notice missing lantern room off old lighthouse - 4th order lens is now in Life Saving museum we visited.

Brant point

Some of us rented 4 wheel drive SUV’s and drove out to Great Point where we were greeted by the Great Point “Watch Seal” that seemed to be thinking -- what the heck are you fools doing out here in this weather. Go away and leave me alone. There is no road out to the light and it was a tricky ride as we had to drive across sand, try to stay in the ruts when there were ruts to stay in (from previous vehicles) and pray to God that we didn’t get stuck (especially in that weather). Plus, we had to get out and back before the tide came in. Some of us choose to lower the tire pressure as was recommended. Did it help? I don’t know. I didn’t and neither did the other drivers in our “caravan.” After taking many pictures we returned to the Nantucket Inn, had dinner and a few drinks and found out that the ferry AND all air travel was still cancelled and that it might resume the morrow. There was only one thing left for us to do, and that was to retire …… to the bar.

continued

edited to fix links

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: NELL's weekend and Shipwreck at Nantucket #61733 02/19/06 07:44 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Great [point Watch Seal

Notice the smile as we’re leaving

Me at Great Point – notice hood & windbreaker-just puffed up from the verrry cold wind

Great Point

Two ships (land) passing at one of the very few pull outs

After breakfast we were notified that the ferry might resume operations around 1 p.m. We all returned to our rooms, packed and waited. Shortly there after we were informed that those of us schedule to leave could do so and depart the island on the 1 p.m. ferry. Everyone had a fantastic time and I honestly believe that we had a better time than we would have if there was no storm.

Going home - Ron and Reg catching up on some zzzzzz's

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: NELL's weekend and Shipwreck at Nantucket #61734 02/19/06 10:21 PM
beachcomber Offline
Pretty terrific pictures, Tom! Those of the Hannah Sara are sad but very interesting to see. Thanks for letting us see them.

beachcomber
Re: NELL's weekend and Shipwreck at Nantucket #61735 02/20/06 01:26 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like you had a great time. Nice pics.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users