Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? #61708 11/19/03 10:42 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The Chidester family is flying into New Orleans airport on Sunday afternoon and we need to be at a gathering of in-laws on Thanksgiving Day in Tupleo MS. We'll then fly back to Phoenix from Memphis on Saturday.

I'm looking for ideas on what to see and do along the Gulf Coast. It's been 30 years since I was in New Orleans and we could spend a couple of days there or we could head over to Mobile to Point Clear or elsewhere along the coast.

What are you're 'Don't Miss' recommendations in this area that can be seen in 2-3 days?

Lighthouses are probably NOT the big thing on this outing, although if we had a photo op at New Canal, Biloxi or Mobile Point, it might be nice.

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? #61709 11/19/03 11:44 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
If you want a photo op of West Rigolets better think about getting it now. Sounds as if it is on its way out.

In NOLA, you need to visit the Jackson Square area, which will include the Farmers Market and the Cafe du Monde (gotta get them beignettes). The setting at New Canal is pretty and really isn't a long drive from downtown (maybe 15 minutes). On the West Bank is a really neat Mardi Gras museum where you can see many of the floats and costumes worn. The history of and stories about Mardi Gras are always fascinating. While you are down by Jackson Square, you might want to take a riverboat cruise. You can go up river to the world class zoo, or go down river towards the battlefield where the last battle of the war of 1812 was fought (Ruthie may still have some newspaper clippings about that one - call her). In addition to the fantastic zoo, City Park is also a great place to visit.

Don't pass up the shopping centers, with daquiri stands at most entrances. Of course, there are also drive thru stands too . . . . . . . .

A visit to one of the plantations is also interesting. Oak Alley is one that sticks in my memory as a neat place.

Have fun.

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? #61710 11/25/03 09:04 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Taking Dave's advice...

Here's old 'Andy Jackson', hero of the Battle of New Orleans.

And we drove around until we found New Canal Lighthouse on Lake Pontchartrain.

And a view of it from across the canal.

Later today we'll be in Biloxi and I should be able to post a photo or two of that lighthouse...

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? #61711 11/25/03 12:24 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures John. Looks like the weather and the camera are cooperating. Have fun!

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? #61712 11/25/03 01:46 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Looks like the CG has moved out of the station. When I was there in November 2001 it was still a very active CG station. It is in a pretty setting, with the long lake front park area just next to it.

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? #61713 11/27/03 11:05 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
As promised -- but a few days later -- here are a couple of photos of Biloxi MS lighthouse. Most of you know this sits in the median of the road that follows the coast.

Probably the best shot of it is from the median.

You can see the seahorse characters around the base of the lighthouse. Unfortunately I didn't get down to take photos in the evening or it might have served as my Christmas Card.

I did give John Gaskill a call and we chatted for a bit. John had just arrived the day before from the Outer Banks and had a little cold. He says to tell everyone he really appreciates the post cards being sent and that he is 'behind' in sending out responses.

John is the son of the last civilian lightkeeper at Bodie Island Lighthouse and lives part of the year in the Naval Home in Gulfport MS.

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? #61714 11/28/03 08:41 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Great photos of two of the old timer Harbour Lights. It's nice to see they both look very well cared for. Thanks for sharing, John!

smile Bob smile

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? #61715 11/30/03 03:41 PM
Shirin Offline
Love the photos John! Glad to see the weather was nice for your trip.

Shirin

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users