Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NC/SC Lighthousing Trip #61648 09/10/01 01:29 AM
Gary Toth Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We're planning on heading south after the Baltimore reunion and are looking for suggestions as to how to attack the lighthouses in that direction. I know I've seen trip reports from Forum members in the past and I remember that many of the lighthouses in our target area are difficult and/or time consuming to get to. Based on past experiences can anyone offer suggestions as to the best way, or at least a good way, to go about seeing as many NC and SC lighthouses as possible in a relatively few days?

Gary and Kay

Re: NC/SC Lighthousing Trip #61649 09/10/01 02:05 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I can help a little with SC.You can get to 6 in SC in the 2 days with a little planning.

If you start early in the day and are not coming back the same way it can be done with some luck.

There are two in the Charleston area- Sullivans Island and Morris Island. Unfortunately they are on oppisite sides of the Charleston Harbor from each other and it can take an hour to get from one to the other. Neither is open so it's just photo ops, but the area around Morris Island is very pretty. You have to park about a 1/4 mile away and walk in. Sullivans Island is in the middle of a residential area. You can see each of these from the other, but Sullivans Island is easier to pick out from Morris Island as it is much taller.

The next one in SC is Hunting Island. It's between Charleston and Savannah , GA. It takes about 2-2 1/2 hours from Charleston to get there.

This one is in a state park and is open for tours and climbing. It also has part of the Fresnel Lens from Morris Island. The park also has beaches and trails to hike. There is a small fee to enter the Park which does not cover entrance into the lighthouse. There are several buildings at the lightouse and several exhibits.

There are also 3 in the Hilton Head area. This is about another 2- 2 1/2 hours down the road. Two are in a area called Harbortown. One is on the golf course and requires some finese to see and the other is a faux Lighthouse right in the middle of the harbor for Harbortown. This one can also be climed.

The third can be seen close up by taking one of the dolphin tours out of Harbortown.

These lights could be seen in 2 days. It would be a long first day in particular, but it is doable

There are also some lights in the Savanah area which is about 1 hour further south.

I hope this is of some help.

Dennis

Re: NC/SC Lighthousing Trip #61650 09/10/01 09:13 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Hi Toths,

One of my first trips after beginning my HL collecting was NC. The two that seem to be forgotten are Roanoke River, which is in Edenton, and Price's Creek. Get a Roger Bansemer book of NC/SC lights and that will be a big help. You can do the NC lights with no problem in three days, riding the ferry from here to there is fun. Look up the schedule on the internet.

These you may be able to climb: Currituck, Hatteras, and Bald Head.(don't miss this one if you possibly get over to see it) Bodie, Roanoke River, Price's, Ocracoke, Oak Island, and Cape Lookout are only photo opts.
There is a less expensive and faster way to get out to Lookout than taking the cruise from Beaufort. If you are going to try and go out, let me know and I'll send the info.

To add to Dennis, if you can possibly get a ride from Hilton Head from one of the many marinas, perhaps you can get a view of Haig Point. Bloody Point has been moved onto a golf course, so is difficult to see if you are not on the island.

See you in Baltimore or before?
Derith

Re: NC/SC Lighthousing Trip #61651 09/10/01 08:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Derith, don`t forget that Hatteras is closed for repairs.

terry

Re: NC/SC Lighthousing Trip #61652 09/10/01 10:53 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Couldn't remember what the open again date was for Hatteras....Thanks
Derith

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,567 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users