Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61624 08/05/03 03:40 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
This starts here-

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000675

Part 2

We flew out on Friday 7-11 for the island of Kauai. We stayed at the Sheraton Kauai Resort which was the best of the places we stayed in Hawaii. It's right on a beautiful beach with the restaurants overlooking the beach and it's open to the elements day and night.

Heres a couple of shots I took at the Sheraton.

View From Our room

My Computer Desk

We shared our breakfast everyday with the birds that were free to fly right in and clean the floor. We spent 5 days here on Kauai. I liked this island the best. the pace was much slower and easier. We drove around the entire island (well as far as you can- the road doesn't go all the way around).

We spent our first day exploring up the east coast and going all the way up to the end of the road. We stopped at many of the beaches long the way as well as other scenic spots.

This was the day we got to the best of the Lighthouses in Hawaii- Kilauea. It's part of a Bird Sanctuary, but the Rangers and other workers are very knowlegeable about the Lighthouse as well.

You can walk into the base of the Lighthouse, but cannot actually climb the steps. The view from the cliff it is on is amazing. You also get a great sight as you come to the end of the road to the preserve- you are looking down to the cliff the Lighthouse sits on and it's beautiful.

Here's a couple of shots of the Lighthouse

View At The End Of The Road

View Of Both Lights

We also drove through Princeville and continued into Hanalei and saw the view that was Bali Hi in South Pacific. We drove to the end at the State Park. the NaPali cliffs get in the way past there so no road was completed around the Island.

We spent Sunday driving through the Waimea Canyon and continued onto the Koke'e State Park which ends at the NaPali cliffs. This is the area that was used in filming much of the outdoor scenes for the Jurassic Park movies.

Waimea Canyon Outlook

We stopped on the way at the site of a Russian Fort- Ft Elizabeth. At one point there was a treaty in which much of Oahu and Kauai were under the "control" of the Russians. It didn't last long.(1815-17). There's a park with the remnants of the fort on the mouth of the Waimea River in the town of Waimea.

We found a nice little place to eat called the Camp House Grill. there are actually two places on Kauai. They specialize in BBQ- ribs and chicken. Great food and the price is nice. We liked it so much we ate at both of the places.

We did some exploring in the Lihue area and found our way out to Nawillilli Lightouse. It's a bit difficult to get right up to the Lighthouse itself. We followed some signs for Beach Access which took us close via a golf course, but I couldn't find that direct route. I could see others ahd done so- there were cars at the Lighthouse.

We went back up the road and asked a couple walking and they gave us the secret- there's a little indescript dirt road that you have to go down to get to the Lighthouse. We went back and got out there.

The dirt road actually seperates the end of the airport property from the golf course. It's a bit rutted so if you go there- go slow.

It's very similar to Barber's Point. they were built using the same plans and it's Lantern room was removed also.

Nawilwili Lighthouse

The beginning of the main runway is about 1000 yards from the Lighthouse and the planes come in very low above the Lighthouse.

Plane After Lighthouse

Our last day in Hawaii we spent exploring along the only navigable river in Hawaii- the Wailua River. We stopped at two nice waterfalls in the area also- Wailua Falls (Da Plane, Boss! Da Plane!) and the Opaekaa Falls.

Wailua Falls

We flew out of Kauai and made it to LAX without incident on 7-16.

We spent the next 5 days roaming around Southern California visiting relatives and seeing Poco Concerts (well I did leave the third one before the end as I wasn't feeling well).

We were on our way home when we got diverted and then stranded in Detroit. This was on 7-22. I woke up on 7-23 and felt worse than I had previously. I got myself to the Emergency Room and it was determined that i had suffered a mild heart attack.

I had some tests and they performed some procedures ( ending with the installation of a stent in one artery) and they sent me on y way on Sunday 7-27. the first thing that the Agent at the Airport said to us was- "That flight has been cancelled."

We did make it home only after a short delay.

I didn't find any Lighthouses in Detroit, but I was somewhat preoccupied. I was lucky in this respect- I have a Nephew who lives in the area so Esther had someplace to stay and some people to be with. It would have been worse if we had been stranded in Cincinatti or elswhere.

Sorry I don't have pictures of all of the lighthouses. I thought I had the problem licked before I left.

Overall the trip went very well- except for possibly the trip back from CA.

Denis

Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61625 08/06/03 12:20 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing your trip and photos with us Dennis. It sure sounds as if you had a great time with the exception of a few days. Nice hat! wink

Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61626 08/06/03 12:34 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Denis, thanks for the great shots and wonderful information! Glad the heart thing wasn't any more serious, also!!

Bud
Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61627 08/06/03 01:05 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Mombo,

I hate hats! Almost as much as I hate ties.(The ties comes from 8 years of Catholic school education- not sure where the dislike of hats comes from).

I decided that I had to wear something in Hawaii. It worked, even if I think it looks stupid. Esther calls it my Indiana Jones hat.

The trip went well for the most part- Esther enjoyed it and didn't want to leave. I had a good time- except it was too hot for me.

Kauai was the best part of the trip- a nice slow paced island with plenty of things to do and not too many people doing them.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61628 08/06/03 08:50 AM
Shirin Offline
Thanks for sharing the trip and pictures with us. Looks like a great place to visit one day.

Shirin
Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61629 08/06/03 12:38 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Enjoyed all your photos Dennis! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

But again so sorry the way it ended for you...but very glad you got yourself to a hospital!

How are you doing now?

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61630 08/06/03 12:43 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Judy,

I'm feeling much better after the procedure in Michigan.

I go back to the doctor tomorrow and he should have more complete answers as to the next course of action.

I've got to get my camera fixed or replaced. I lost too may good photos on this trip.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61631 08/06/03 01:03 PM
eskilady Offline
Dennis - Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. I did so enjoy looking at them. I am glad that your mild heart attack wasn't any worse - we would have missed you!

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61632 08/06/03 01:47 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the nice pictures and updates on your trip. My favorite lighthouse is also Kilauea on Kauai. I love the setting with the steep cliffs and all the birds.

One of my favorite things to do on Kauai is take the helicopter tour. It is absolutely beautiful from the air. You get to fly over all the waterfalls and look down on the Napali coast. John and I will be back there in December. smile

Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61633 08/06/03 02:32 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I wanted to take a helicopter tour, but I was outvoted.

Win some, lose some.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61634 08/07/03 06:26 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Dennis,

Good job on detailing the "western trip" and very nice photos! Going to try and see what I can do similarly for the trip to Russia we just got back from.

Be Well, Dan

Re: Lighthouses of California, Hawaii & Detroit? Pt 2 #61635 09/04/03 11:04 PM
T
Teresa Zurschmit Offline
T
Denis
Thanks for the wonderful story and photos. Me and my fiancee are getting ready to go to Hawaii and get married on Oahu. We plan on seeing as many of the lighthouses in Hawaii as possible. Hope our photos turn our as well as yours did. Thanks again.
Teresa

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users