Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Local day or weekend trips.... #61527 11/22/04 08:50 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I have been thinking that I am running out of places to take large-scale trips to see lighthouses that I can get to with a realtively short drive from NJ. Then I realised the large amount of "local" lights that I have not seen.

I have been researching a bit, Streets and Tripsing (a new verb?) a bit, and have thought of the following trips that I might make "off the shelf" trips for:

• Staten Island - only a couple hours, I could do it after school on a half day. Quick trip over the Outerbridge, and you're ready for 7-8 lights. Maybe I could go into mega PPM to do this on Wednesday...but I doubt that.
  • Long Island - I have a trip planned for this, but I might do it as the LI Challenge in May. I have seen some of these lights from water, but of course you have to see them again to complete the challenge.
  • Southwest Connecticut - there are three land viewable lights here that I have not seen. Two were missed during the "Bridgeport Incedent", where we got hopelessly lost in Bridgeport and decided to give up on Fayerweather and Tongue Point. Also, we missed Greens Ledge, so I'd want to hit that. I may try to see if I can find a Greenwicher who can get me on the ferry to Great Captain.
  • Maryland - I did the MD Challenge minus Ft. Washington over Easter weekend 2001. I'd like to get some better photos of those lights, as I took mine with a cheap freebie 35mm. Also, I missed a fewlights not in Roberts/Jones' book. That was when I thought that those were all the lights in the area :rolleyes: This might be several days.
  • Virginia - I would like to do the more western lights, and climb Cape Henry now that it has been redone (I went when they had the tiny hatches). Also, better photos. Most of this area I have not visited since I got into digital photography, when both my quality and quantity were brought up. It wasn't until I had the benefit of the delete button and a camera which created true colors instead of the washed out tones of my cheap one that I became really into it.
  • Delaware - Still have only seen Liston RR and Fenwick. Would like some nice photos of these, and to see the many other lights. A day trip.

Do you guys have any more ideas? Any suggestions for any of these trips? I'll post my planned lists for each trip once they are made up.

Thanks!

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61528 11/22/04 09:56 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

This is a great idea about local day or weekend trips. I know that when asked, members of the forum are always ready, willing and able to help out with light, especially in their area. But sometimes we pass up lights because we don't think of them. I have made note of what you posted as I am missing many Connecticut and New York lights, not to mention the entire East Coast, etc.

It sure would be nice to be able to get to see them all. I would be happy just seeing all the New England lights. I'm trying, but still have a long way to go. That leaves something for next year and next time. Thanks for the info.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61529 11/22/04 11:26 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg,

While I am a major user of S&T in plsnning my trips, some things to consider. Your parents are going to be more familiar with the area surroundig NYC than most of us, but I don't think I will revisit the New England area without a GPS unit. Why? Probably the same reason you couldn't find Tongue Point: roads and streets throughout the region are incredibly poorly marked. All the maps in the world won't do you any good when there are no street signs to tell you where you are.

On Staten Island, you probably need to plan a full day. Very congested, tight streets, limited parking and the proverbial poor signage. I enjoyed my visit, and would like to return to visit the balance of the lights we didn't get to, but my personal take is that this is a full day adventure.

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61530 11/22/04 11:45 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

I'll agree with Dave about Staten Island.

It was a 3/4 day trip going by small bus with the NJLHS trip earlier this year. Traffic on Staten Island and getting to and from can be very time consuming. We did it on a Saturday.

Add to this to get a view of at least one of the Lighthouses (Prince's Bay)it's going to take longer than it took us because we got special access to it.

Dennis

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61531 11/24/04 02:23 PM
B
bill1960 Offline
B
My fiancee and myself decided to take a "day trip" to long Island, NY from my area (near Philly).
According to some maps it was SUPPOSED to be about 2 1/2 hours to get to Fire Island lighthouse. Traffic moved fine until we got onto the island, then, reality set it, and everything was bumper to bumper, and that was in October. I can't imagine the potential headache of driving there during the busy summer months?

We did arrive at Fire Island but we were disappointed because it was SO foggy that we couldn't see it very well unless we were right on top of it.

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61532 11/24/04 03:46 PM
Grover Offline
Greg,

One of the easiest trips you can plan is the ferry, either from the Highlands or from the Amboys, that take you through lower NY Harbor(or, depending on point of view, Upper Sandy Hook Bay). So many lights are visible.

The one knock was it was rather high speed ...the boat bounces ... more than a steady hand was necessary to get a good shot at some of these bad boys ...

And Bill,

The last time I was on Long Island, just about the whole South Fork was under construction. This would have been October of 2001. If I had a nickel for every orange cone ...

Traffic? It is unfortunate that both the north and south forks are comprised of local roads and state hiways ... it does slow you down.

HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

By slowing you down, you will not miss the best part of lighthousing on Long Island ... you will not miss the BIG DUCK in Flanders, NY ...

Yes, I said the BIG DUCK (sorry for the large image but I said it was a Big Duck!!!)

Almost as good as Lucy the Margate Elephant ...

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61533 11/24/04 07:29 PM
B
bill1960 Offline
B
Barry,
Regarding the ferry out of the highlands and the Amboys. Does that line have a website?
My fiancee lives in Lakewood, NJ and we have been up around the navesink Twins as well as Sandy Hook. I had no idea of a ferry that went by any lighthouses?

Thanks,
Bill
confused

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61534 11/24/04 08:06 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bill,

Here's a website for one of the ferries-

http://www.seastreak.com/SeaStreak/default.htm

Dennis

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61535 11/24/04 11:17 PM
Grover Offline
Bill,

Please remember one thing ...

By my count you will see, including the Statue of Liberty, nine ligthouses ... maybe ten ... BUT ... and a very big BUT (sorry about that!) ... this is NOT a lighthouse cruise but a commuter ferry ...

They don't stop for pictures .. they don't linger ... and quite honestly, some will be benefcial to have a telephoto of some mm's.

One other consideration ... my trip was out of the Bayshore of Highlands (not to be confused with Atlantic Highlands) ... that one will allow views of Twin Lights (not the greatest) and Sandy Hook (from the water ... not a common view) ... plus it puts you in proximity to the Conover Beach Beacon and Chapel Hill Light ...

The one from the Amboys will not do the above but will take you near Great Beds Lighthouse ...

You should enjoy either one ... good hunting.

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61536 12/13/04 07:01 PM
DMancini Offline
Greg - one tip I can give you if you want to come and visit LI's lights...

Try, at all costs, to avoid the South fork anytime between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Way to much Hamptons traffic. Avoid the North fork from Memorial Day through Labor Day and then the whole month of October. The North fork has tons of farm stands that are PACKED during the month of October...those darn pumpkin pickers! wink

Another thing to consider...I get my best photos in the winter. The air is clearer and, to me, the sky is more vibrant. Of course, in the process I also freeze my butt off. The things we do to see lighthouses. :p

Can't help you out with the other trips on your list because I'm still waiting to do those as well.

Diane
Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61537 12/13/04 07:10 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Trust me, I know LI traffic. When we were heading out to go sailing in LI Sound in June, we had to go out to Amagansett. I played "Count the Land Rovers." laugh Well, what did you expect me to count? Mercedes?

I'm thinking that the Challenge would be a good time to do LI...still lightish traffic, and all the lights will be open. If I can get my parents to go down to MD (perhaps with extra lights), and if I can squeeze 10 of the lights of NJ into one day and volunteer at Sea Girt the next (thus bringing me to 11 and technically being the first to finish), I can get the Triple Crown! laugh

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61538 01/02/05 10:03 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Greg
The best way to see Tongue point is with the Bridgeport-Port jefferson Ferry. Then I draged my husband to a few long Island lights.In fact he drove around the area a couple times so I could walk the beach to get Sands Point and Execution Rocks. Cops almost puled him over until I got in and we left.

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61539 01/02/05 10:18 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I visited a bunch of lighthouses on Columbus Day Weekend a few years ago on Long Island. I found it a great time of the year to be there and the traffic was very reasonable. I even bought two 50-pound bags of LI potatoes while I was there.

smile Bob smile

Re: Local day or weekend trips.... #61540 01/03/05 08:15 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Traveling on Long Island is a time of day issue. If your going east, plan on rising early. With all the construction (new summer houses) even that can be a chore. I typically go out to Montauk for a week of camping and head east on a Sunday afternoon and return Sunday morning. If you're there for a week you can live with the traffic. As long as you can get to the Shinnecock bridge by 8:30 am, you should be in good shape. John's pancake house in Montauk for breakfast, and the Lighthouse opens at 10 am. Once you get past Ammaganset, it's pretty rural again.
Coming back west is not as a big of deal since the idea is to get to the beach not leave it. Remember, Long Island is famous for beaches, and the surround the whole Island with the South Shore dominating the Ocean from Coney Island to the Rockaways to Jones Beach to Fire Island to Robert Moses to West/South/Bridge/East Hamptons to Ammagansett and Montauk.

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,133 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users