Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouse in Santa Marta Colombia #61398 12/22/08 08:49 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I don't seem to have posted this one

I wanted to be there when we came into the harbor to look for lighthouses, so we went up to the Lido for breakfast.

Bob (who was facing forward) said we were approaching some land, so I jumped up and went out on deck just in time to see a lighthouse (or what I assume was a lighthouse) as we passed it.

I thought I saw another one, but when I got closer I decided it was some kind of statue or memorial.

I also saw panels which looked like fabric and wondered what they were for - you can see through them

I wondered if these guys were waiting to see if we crashed into the dock, or were just fishing.

By the time we (I) got ourselves organized, it was about 10:30. I had listened to the port talk and had an idea of what I really wanted to see.

We walked down the pier to the information booth, and I asked about the screens and the monument, but either no one knew, or they couldn't figure out how to tell me in English. Later I found that the fabric kind of things were wind screens to keep the coal dust that they were loading from blowing around so much.

We went to the Cathedral and drove around town for a little bit and then came back to the ship. This is Bob's picture from the dock

More pictures of the lighthouse

Re: Lighthouse in Santa Marta Colombia #61399 12/22/08 08:57 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I won't bore you with the other pictures of the town. We were supposed to leave at 1600, and Bob and I were out on deck when they asked for two people (man and woman) of specific cabin numbers to call to the front desk.Bob said - there they are, coming down the dock. And sure enough two people were running to the ship.

And we didn't leave right away anyway because they had to do an underwater inspection of the ship first. I assume this is some kind of thing they do in Colombia because we didn't do it anywhere else. I saw some tough looking men in boat, so I don't know if they were doing the underwater inspection

Don't know if these guys were doing that

I took some more pictures of the lighthouse [Morro Grande (Santa Marta)] on the way out,

This is the bottom of the hill of that island.

including one of the lighthouse with a freighter in front of it picking up the pilot. Bob said if they were that far in, what did they need a pilot for?

Photos of the lighthouse and harbor

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users