Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Brunswick? #61361 12/10/06 09:37 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I'm thinking of spending time in the Maritimes next summer. Never been to Canada, always intrigued by it and the lights...think it'd be fun.

But wow, is it hard to find any information on these lights. I think that finding the Dead Sea Scrolls was easier.

Has anyone ventured into NB beyond East Quoddy? Any tips? Info? Directions? GPS coordinates? (Okay, maybe the last two are a little desperate...)

I think it'd be fun if I can figure it out...a little adventure to a new land and all that...

Re: New Brunswick? #61362 12/10/06 10:47 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

Re: New Brunswick? #61363 12/10/06 10:54 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

Re: New Brunswick? #61364 12/10/06 11:33 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Don't forget that Bert & Sharon came thru NB this past summer and posted a travelogue of that trip in multiple posts.

There is some info on NB lights on a NB lighthouse web site, but I won't paste a link because the person who maintains the site makes it all but impossible to print out or copy any useable info. Plus they indicate they haven't maintained the site for better than a year to force you to purchase their CD.

Re: New Brunswick? #61365 12/11/06 12:34 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Hilari - great links! Hadn't seen either one. Grand Manan is probably too far out for this trip, but the other one's cool to help me plan which lights to allocate more time for photos.

I've been using the site Dave's talking about (no link, but Google makes it easy enough). The guy that runs it seems enthusiastic for sure, but to me, taking the good stuff off the web to make you buy the CD is a huge turn off. I've been using it just because it's all there really is, but there could be better. Maybe I'll make it. There has to be something better than cross-referencing with the-site-that-must-not-be-named, the LHDepot database, and various websites in French, which I know I should have taken instead of Spanish.

I'm going to check back on Bert and Sharon's logs, too - hopefully that won't have the trip planning continuing east. Have to be careful there...that's for another trip. wink

Right now, it looks like it's a 4-5 day sojourn. I'd probably go up to the top, and then come down the coast from North-South. Hit as many lights as humanly possible, since I may not come this way again for a long time. It looks like it works out so I may even hit a few Maine lights on the way back...getting out of Campobello Island, Lubec Harbor and West Quoddy are on your doorstep.

I don't think any Wacko has ever done such a trip to this province...and probably not that many people, either. But if anyone has any, any experience or info, I'd appreciate it.

Re: New Brunswick? #61366 12/11/06 02:35 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg, if you look at things very carefully you may well decide that the attempt to see all the NB lights isn't worth the challenge and expense. The distances are significant and there appears to be way too little info to effectively plan an efficient trip. There are "pockets" of lights, but there doesn't really appear to be good directions to the lights themselves. Unfortunately, the Canadians are way behind the power curve in providing info on visiting lighthouses. You may have to break down and buy the guys CD to see if his directions are any better than what he has on the web.

Re: New Brunswick? #61367 12/11/06 11:28 AM
Grover Offline
Hey Greg ...

Granted my decision was swayed by free airline miles and no one way car rentals, but after looking real hard at NB lighthouses, I opted out for Nova Scotia this past October ... and was NOT disappointed ...

If really planned, the number and variety of lights was rewarding and the Cape Bretton area, especially Chetticamp where you needed to get through a game preserve to get to one of the lights, was just magnificent ... plus there was a source than was accurate almost to the tenth of a kilometer (except for the light that burned down and the one that got moved and the one that fell into the sea ... well, NOTHING's perfect)

If it is within your grasp, I vote you go a little further and explore Nova ...

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: New Brunswick? #61368 12/11/06 12:25 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Well, I am always up for a challenge...especially seeing as I'm home sick today with nothing to really do. So by the end of the day, I may have trips planned to the entirety of the Maritimes.

Nova Scotia could be something else to look at...distance would be about the same, and very light-heavy. Another option might be to do NB, but with a detour into Prince Edward Island when in that region - an area that's kind of small, but kind of far to get to for just those lights.

I think I have figured out all the NB lights' locations from the various sources, even with the fact that S&T has very sporadic map data in Canada. It is a lot of similar lights, though. (Granted, it's the same across Canada - their Coast Guard must be thriftier than ours...they only buy red and white paint.)

I'm bored. I'm sick. I'm going to plot out various trips. I have nothing else to do.

BTW, Barry...great photo. Now even more inspiration for NS. smile

Re: New Brunswick? #61369 12/11/06 12:26 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice pic, Grover!

smile Bob smile

Re: New Brunswick? #61370 12/11/06 12:28 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Oh, one more thing for Barry...what was your source for directions? "Down to the tenth of a mile" is a phrase I like! smile

Re: New Brunswick? #61371 12/11/06 01:17 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I remember crossing into Canada on the way to East Quoddy and asked the Welcome person at visitor's center for info on lighthouses, and she gave me a list w/ directions of several pages. This was at least 5 years ago, so good luck for me finding it.
Maybe you could ask that provinces' visitors site on-line?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: New Brunswick? #61372 12/11/06 01:34 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

Here's another point in Nova Scotia's favor- you can save some of the driving distance by taking the ferry out of Maine. you could do a circuit of Nova Scotia and end up back where you started or this would allow more time to go to the Cabot Trail or Prince Edward Island and then drive back down through New Brunswick and get at least some of the NB lighthouses on the way.

Just a thought.

Dennis

Re: New Brunswick? #61373 12/11/06 03:12 PM
Grover Offline
Greg ...

Quote:
DISCOVER NOVA SCOTIA LIGHTHOUSES
DAVE STEPHENS and SUSAN RANDLES
Sue (mombo) also reccomended it strongly ... and that was to the "tenth of a kilometer"

By the way, I mentioned going through a wildlife preserve to get to a lighthouse ... these are the bad boys I needed to pass to get to Enragee Point Lighthouse ... not exactly the deer at Fire Island ...

Re: New Brunswick? #61374 12/11/06 05:36 PM
Grover Offline
... and PS ... when I emailed the NSLPS, a Chris Mills was the respodent ... his email is "Chris Mills" ketch@ns.sympatico.ca. When New Brunswick was still a consideration, this was the site I was using ... http://www.nblighthouses.com/

It is still my very real hope to get up to the Gaspere Peninsula ... but, damn ... it is far and it is wide ...

Re: New Brunswick? #61375 12/11/06 05:48 PM
Grover Offline
Dennis ...

To your point "you can do a circuit around Nova Scotia" ... well, yes you can but ... just to give one an idea ...

Arriving in Halifax, I drove South ... then West ... then North to Cape Forchu ... then East before the realization that A) as Greg found out, too many of the lighthouses were similar in construction and B) this province is way bigger than I imagined ...

So ... I cut off some of the Northwest corner ... some of the Central top coast ... and I did not have time, even allotting 4 and 1/2 days, for the extreme lower Southeast corner ...

What I did have time for was the beauty of a great deal of the Cape Bretton area and to see some of the more unique lights the province had to offer ...

As it was I covered a little over 3000 kilometers in that 4+ day span ... and really beat the living daylights out of the Ford Fusion I rented ... and yes, there is something exhilarating seeing a posted speed limit of "110"

Re: New Brunswick? #61376 12/11/06 05:52 PM
Grover Offline
Bob,

Thanks ... before being a member here and other places, a picture like that would not have meant anything to me ... HOWEVER, seeing what members here and there can do, when I got a feel for timing, I bypassed many lights to get to Cape Forchu at sunset ...

Only problem was, you cannot get easily behind this light to get the envisioned sunset shot ... this is what was happening 90 degrees to my right...

Re: New Brunswick? #61377 12/14/06 11:13 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Fabulous photos, Grover.
Judy

Re: New Brunswick? #61378 12/15/06 01:52 AM
Grover Offline
Thank you ...

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users