Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Day One of our USLHS Maine Trip #61215 11/03/02 03:11 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
As some of you might remember, Mike and I won last year's (2001) Register to Win contest. We decided to take a tour with the US Lighthouse Society to Maine.

Over the next couple of days, I will be posting pictures and a "small" log. Note pictures have not been touched up...that way everyone knows that I took the picture (there is usually a lean to the towers as Dave points out!!).

We left our house on Friday, October 11th at 10:00 a.m. The weather was terrible and after both flights being delayed, we finally ended up in Portland Maine at 8:00 p.m. It would have been faster to drive, as we ended up sitting in LaGuardia's airport for over 5 1/2 hours.

The next morning it was up early, as breakfast started at 7:00 and we had to be on the bus at 8:00. Our tour guide was Dave Snyder from the lighthouse society. From what we hear, he's a little more lenient on timeframes, but with 40+ people, you want to stay on schedule. On the bus ride to Cape Elizabeth, we found out that the person who won this year's Register to Win contest was also on this tour. Not one of the on-line "connected" collectors.

Our first stop was Cape Elizabeth. This is now a private residence. Our bus driver (who had been doing this tours for several years) actually took the bus up in the private residence ~~ something that the "locals" cringe at ~~ after we took pictures from the "water" side.

Next it was a short ride to Portland Head, where it was arranged with the Coast Guard for us to climb the tower, which doesn't occur very often. The day was cloudy, however, in the distance you could see Ram Ledge Lighthouse.

After everyone had climbed the tower and went through the museum (got my passport stamped), it was back on the bus for the next light.

The next light was Spring Point Ledge. Spring Point is the only Caisson Lighthouse which you can climb. It was a walk across the very uneven breakwater. This lighthouse has gone through some restoration (which is ongoing).

Then it was a quick trip to Portland Head Breakwater ~~ also known as "Bug Light". This summer Bug Light was re-lit. It is one of my favorite lighthouses. I love the uniqueness in the design.

After lunch it was on to Hendricks Head Lighthouse. This is privately owned by the owners of "Russell Atheletics". The bus dropped us off at the end of the "private" road. We didn't actually have permission to trespass (however, we did have last year's letter of permission). So...40 of us walked down the private entrance. To our surprise the lighthouse was actually opened as they were filming some kind of documentary. Now, if you found a lighthouse that was opened, wouldn't you climb it? Well, we did.

Then it was on to Boothbay Harbor where we stopped for a short shopping trip (actually Mike and I had great blueberry ice cream cones). We would be leaving from here tomorrow morning for our cruising trip in the morning.

Then it was on to the Samoset Resort where we would be staying for the next three nights. Our evening speaker was Ted Panyatoff, who is the author of a book on restoration of Rockland Breakwater. Another guest was Courtney Thompson, who has authored several lighthouse books.

Re: Day One of our USLHS Maine Trip #61216 11/03/02 04:27 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures and from the sound of your narrative, great luck. Yes, if I found a lighthouse open I would definitely climb. We missed going to Spring Point Ledge, Portland Breakwaer and Hendricks when we were up in Maine this summer. Now I know that we have to go back again.

Would like to see and hear more of your trip, keep us posted.

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Day One of our USLHS Maine Trip #61217 11/03/02 10:24 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds and looks good so far Patty and those towers are mighty straight too! smile

Re: Day One of our USLHS Maine Trip #61218 11/03/02 10:33 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Patty,

Much as it pains me to agree with Mombo, the towers do look pretty straight up and down - you sure you took the pics? Sounds like your trip (at least the USLHS part) got off to a great start with an unscheduled climb. What a wonderful opportunity and great adventure. We'll be looking for more of the story and more pics this week. Thanks for sharing.

Bubba

Re: Day One of our USLHS Maine Trip #61219 11/04/02 02:01 AM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great Pics and this trip sounds like alot of fun!!

Jim
Re: Day One of our USLHS Maine Trip #61220 11/04/02 02:45 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Patty, you are doing a fine job with the pics cool as well as the info on the lighthouses. Maine sure has some great lighthouses. My all time favorite is Portland Head...my first HL purchase. laugh Looking forward to the rest of the trip. Have fun kids.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Day One of our USLHS Maine Trip #61221 11/04/02 10:37 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
So glad you two had a good trip. Don't let "Bubba" bother you anymore. Your photos are good. Looking forward to hearing about your entire trip.
Derith

Re: Day One of our USLHS Maine Trip #61222 11/04/02 01:30 PM
Shirin Offline
Sounds like a great trip so far. The pictures look good and I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip.

shirin

Shirin

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,814 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users