Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Outer Banks #61205 05/14/99 07:30 PM
Rock Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just returned from a wonderful tour of the Outer Banks with the USLS group...donning hardhats and seeing Hatteras up-close and personal was worth the time and money alone!

Re: The Outer Banks #61206 05/15/99 05:36 PM
S
Squid Offline
S
I also spent several days in the Outer Banks last week. Its was interesting to examine the contraption that will be used to move Hatteras. Altough I didn't have the fortune of an up front tour, I did get a good look. The movers were not too happy with me for jumping the fence! It going to get very crowded this summer.

Re: The Outer Banks #61207 05/16/99 07:26 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Just back from what was supposed to be a full weekend on the North Carolina Outer Banks. Mother Nature had other ideas. She parked a big low-pressure system right off of Cape Hatteras and said “Let it rain, hard, with gale force winds for the weekend.” So what started as a long, rainy drive from Charlotte on Friday never got a whole lot better.

On the way down we went looking for the Roanoke River lighthouse. It’s currently in Edenton, NC, and we didn’t know about it until Derith Bennett mentioned it in the Forums. Derith was also nice enough to give us some really good directions to find it. We drove right to the first spot and picked out the light, but there are two telephone poles directly in the line-of-sight and pretty much ruined any photos. We were able to get another look-see from the end of a neighborhood driveway. I left less of a mess than the group of Canada Geese that were grazing in the yard.

Hatteras was a real challenge. The storm is parked over the Outer Banks. It had rained all day Friday as we drove down. When we got there, the winds were 40+ mph sustained and driving a hard rain. Thunder and lightning all night with hard rain. Saturday morning the road (NC 12) south to the lighthouse was washed out and flooded in several spots. The forecast was for more of the same until Tuesday, so we decided to check out early, try our luck at seeing what we could and head home, or at least inland.

We headed south, crossing a few sections of road that were flooded and climbing a couple of new dunes in four-wheel drive. We got stopped at one spot for about 45 minutes as road crews worked to clear and open the road. We were within sight of Cape Hatteras light at this point and we watched it fade in and out of the cloudbank as the winds blew. Really a neat thing to watch and to contemplate a ships crew at sea watching the same sort of thing 100 years ago. Almost eerie to watch.

We finally made it to the lighthouse. You can get within about 30 yards from the parking lots and maybe closer if you can get to the beach. There's no close beach access, but if you drive south, in the direction the lighthouse is being moved, to the end of the road, it brings you to the beach and you can walk north to the light. Even if you don't walk up the beach, the view from here is very nice. It’s quite different from seeing it up close.

That was it, we gave up on Okracoke because of the storm. No ferry rides this trip. Instead we went back north and stopped at the Chicamacomico Life Saving Station, Bodie Island Lighthouse and Currituck Lighthouse. We were able to get our US Lighthouse Society passport stamped at Hatteras, Chicamacomico and Currituck. The volunteer on duty at Bodie had no idea what I was talking about. Just a reason to go back another time.

We ate dinner last night and then drove home. A little disappointing, but an adventure just the same.

As we were driving home, it occurred to me that this sort of thing is just what Sean Thompson was alluding to in the Forum thread about attending the Cape Hatteras re-lighting ceremony next year. There are only two roads to the Outer Banks and basically only one road, NC 12, that runs the length of the islands. It ends in Hatteras Village and it’s ferry rides from there to Okracoke and Cape Lookout National Seashore. There’s roughly forty miles between lighthouses along this stretch of the coast. From the southern most auto access the first lighthouse you pass is Bodie Island. It’s about 50 miles south to the Cape Hatteras light. Most of the ‘name’ accommodations are to the north. And there aren’t many of those. So if this is going to be a gathering of Harbour Lights collectors and lighthouse enthusiasts, make your plans and arrangements now and pack plenty of patience. These will be looooong days, even if the weather is wonderful.

Good lighthousing all,
Rick

[This message has been edited by RMau (edited 05-17-99).]

Re: The Outer Banks #61208 05/16/99 08:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Rick for the great report. Perserverance always pays off. Glad you got to Hatteras regardless of the weather. Glad you saw Roanoke River light. I guess you see why I got the marina owner to take me there by water.

If HL collectors are trying to have a mini reunion for the Hatteras relighting, why can't we all try to stay in a location and charter a bus to the celebration. There is a Holiday Inn Express at the ferry south of Hatteras. I wonder if going in that way would be less traffic than coming from Nags Head. We need a leader so we all won't be going in different directions. I know I am going to make my reservations soon.

I missed the thread you were referring to. Can you give me some pointers to get to it?

Glad you are safely home.

Derith

Re: The Outer Banks #61209 05/16/99 10:33 PM
RFoster Offline
Thanks Rick. Even though you and Linda didn't have the best of weather it sounds like you made the best of it. I enjoyed reading about your trip. Mary Jane and I would love to visit the Outer Banks and be there for the relighting ceremony. Derrith, are you definitely staying at the Holiday Inn? does the lighthouse come into view on the Ferry Ride? And if so, would it be close enough for pictures?

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: The Outer Banks #61210 05/16/99 11:36 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Next person heading down to Cape Hatteras, please check the live cam image of the lighthouse. It appears there's a paved road that runs close to the lighthouse. If you can find that road, you should be able to spot the webcam -- probably in a box on a pole with a glass cover.

If you stand on that road facing the webcam box with the lighthouse at your back, and make a BIG sign that says "Hi To All WACKOs", you can get 2 minutes of fame.

Now you'll need to prearrange with me or someone to be sure to be looking during that 2 minutes so I can save the image for posterity, thus extending the 2 minutes of fame a bit.

If you're game, send me an email and I'll provide you with my phone number so you can call and tell me when you'll be there. You may have to pose for 3 minutes just to be sure you get in the picture since it changes every 2 minutes.

Webcam provided by WITN-TV.

Re: The Outer Banks #61211 05/18/99 01:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Ron,

I will make reservations at two places. One at the HL Express and one at a motel in Buxton. The one that takes my reservation this far in advance, will be my pick. I figure it will be less frustration to drive the 10 miles from the HLExpress than south on hiway 12.

You cannot see the light house from the ferry. It comes from Ocracoke.

I think it would be great fun if the HL collectors that are going could get together. I will more than likely be there a couple of days prior to the relighting.

Derith

Re: The Outer Banks #61212 05/18/99 01:23 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Great picture Rick! Looks like the breeze was picking up a bit. Good thing it didn't take the camera with it!

Dave

Re: The Outer Banks #61213 05/18/99 01:49 AM
Art Offline
Thanks Rick for the report and the great photo. I know the light is out right now, but it's times like the one you captured on film that earned the lighthouses their glory. Looking at your photo I can just imagine the beam sweeping the sky, doing the job it was intended to do.

Lousy weather made for a great photo. Thanks for sharing it.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: The Outer Banks #61214 05/18/99 12:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I Was there on Sunday also, and where the web cam appears to be mounted is on top of or next to the two mobile office trailers on the other side of the parking lot from the lighthouse.

Can you see the Hatteras lighthouse from the ferry ? No. The ferry (Hatteras to Ocracoke) is is quite a distance from the lighthouse (about a 25 minute drive if my memory serves me) But if you take the ferry from the other end of Ocracoke island you can see the Ocracoke lighthouse as the ferry terminal is right near the lighthouse.

I will add another post about my long weekend trip of 4 days 5 hours 2,450 mile 13 lighthouses and 2 lightships trip later this week.

Mark

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,501 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users