Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My lighthouse travels #61105 03/16/08 04:43 AM
Tybee_Sullivan Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
As I mentioned in my Welcome thread, I am a wedding and portrait photographer, and was assimilated into the lighthouse fanatic crowd in 2006. The first lighthouses I shot were Harbour Town, Haig Point, Tybee, Cockspur, Hilton Head Rear Range, and Hunting Island.

After that, I met my significant other, Megan. We both have a love for history, and she liked lighthouses for that reason, but had never seen one. She liked to read about them.

Me (My name is Bill, by the way) on the jetty at Tybee Island

The Lovely Megan at the top of the St. Augustine Lighthouse

On our first date, I took her to see Harbour Town, Hilton Head Rear Range, as well as Coligny Beach on Hilton Head. I brought my telescope, and showed her the Tybee Island Lighthouse.

Here are photos of the ones I shot before I met her.

Harbour Town...

Haig Point..

Hilton Head Rear Range

Hunting Island

Now, as I said, we went to Ft. Pulaski. I had been there before, and my photos of Cockspur were less than spectacular. But, we were at the top of the fort, and could see Cockspur in the distance. We looked, and saw PEOPLE near the lighthouse. We figured that there was either a path I hadn't seen before or a new one. So, we walked down a long open area behind the fort, and got to the end, and we were still a quarter of a mile or more away. We walked all the way back, and saw a sign just 20 feet from where we left the perimeter of the fort's grounds. The sign pointed a different direction. It is a new path that wasnt there when I went there before. Its about a mile and a half walk, but well worth it. At low tide, you can get about 50 yards away from the lighthouse.

Cockspur

And, here is Tybee

More to come soon...

This space for rent. Inquire within.
Re: My lighthouse travels #61106 03/16/08 05:41 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
The next trip was to Charleston for Morris Island and Sullivan's Island. It was a BEAUTIFUL day...Nice blue sky with cotton candy clouds. We were on the road that takes you to Folly Beach, where you can see the Morris Island Lighthouse. We hadn't been on that road for 20 minutes when out of nowhere, the thickest fog I've ever seen in my life rolled in. We continued anyway, hoping it would roll off. It didn't. We couldnt even see 20 feet into the water.

Here is a photo from Folly Beach that day.

The next stop was Sullivan's Island. The fog had gotten thicker. In fact, you have to cross a suspension bridge to get there. We didn't even know we were on a suspension bridge until the cables were right next to us. We found the lighthouse, but a good picture was impossible, as you can see here:

The fog got thicker. We got lost leaving Sullivan's Island. We drove around the island for about 40 minutes. At one point, we drove by the lighthouse again. Finally, I saw a hurricane evacuation route sign. We followed the signs off the island. NOTE! There is a gas station at the intersection when you get onto the island. You have to make a right turn to get to the lighthouse. They do not have public restrooms.

Next trip was this past Valentines Day. We decided to take 2 days, and get St. Simons, St. Augustine, and a second attempt at Morris and Sullivan's.

The first stop was St. Simons. It was about 35-40 degrees that day. We got there, and I noticed that there was a jetty. I can't resist getting a jetty and a lighthouse in the same picture. I have photos of Tybee, Morris, and Sullivan's with jettys. However, when we got there, it was high tide. The water came right up to the jetty. I was looking at the jetty and back at the lighthouse. Megan knew what I was thinking, and advised against it. I nodded, and went looking for other angles. A statue of a whale about 50 yards away from the lighthouse caught her eye, so she went to look at it. There was my chance. I sat down, and took off my socks and shoes, and rolled up my pants legs. As I was walking down the small boardwalk there, a couple who had heard the exchange between Megan and I looked at me and laughed. "She's going to kill you, you know," the guy said. I just laughed, and walked down the steps into the FREEZING COLD water. I got the pictures, but Megan got back before I got out of the water. I got the 'Don't cry to me if you get sick' speech. My feet were numb, and I mentioned that to her, and she told me that she didnt want to hear it.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the St. Simons Lighthouse...

Next stop, St. Augustine. I had this false notion that the Tybee Lighthouse was one of the tallest lighthouses in the country. We climbed St. Augustine, and realized that St. Augustine is taller than Tybee...which has become an inside joke. WHen I said that I couldn't believe that it was 10 feet taller than Tybee, Megan laughed, and started joking with me about it. Now, everything from her cats to other lighthouses are judged based on Tybee's size. I'm sure that if we see the Empire State Building, one of us will say "Hey, you know that is taller than Tybee."

Note about St. Augustine...It is very hard to get an unobstructed photo of the lighthouse unless you do a vertical photo.

Next day...Morris Island and Sullivan's Island. We couldn't believe that Morris was RIGHT THERE and due to the fog before, we couldnt even see an outline of it.

This picture of the Morris Island Lighthouse has a crane next to it. They are fighting tooth and nail to keep that lighthouse up. The photo shows that the lighthouse is leaning. More power to them. It is such a beautiful light.This photo also has Sullivan's in the background...The Morris Light is also taller than Tybee.

And, here is the Sullivan's Island Lighthouse...

I forgot...Here is a photo of the Savannah Harbor Light. We saw it on the way to Ft. Pulaski/Cockspur/Tybee

To be continued....

Re: My lighthouse travels #61107 03/16/08 07:37 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Fabulous pics, Bill! Thanks for taking the time to share them with us. I'm looking forward to more.

smile Bob

Re: My lighthouse travels #61108 03/16/08 12:21 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great narration and photos Bill. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics posted. Thanks for sharing them. smile

Re: My lighthouse travels #61109 03/16/08 04:07 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Awesome pictures Bill! Love to see all these beautiful lighthouses and the pictures are exceptional!
Thank you for sharing them!
Very much looking forward to more of your photographs and lighthouse stories Bill!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: My lighthouse travels #61110 03/16/08 04:25 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pics Bill !!!

I love the Sullivan's Island pic with the fog cover.

The Morris Island pic is another nice one, since you got Sullivan Island light in it as well.

cheers

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: My lighthouse travels #61111 03/16/08 04:31 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Thanks, everyone. I love looking at lighthouse pics, and showing mine.

Now, the story continues....

3 weeks ago, I had a family emergency in Florida. Megan was not able to come down with me, but there were lighthouses to shoot, so I left a day early.

First stop on the trip,

Amelia Island. I had a difficult time finding it because I had written the directions wrong. I finally found Ft. Clinch St. Park, and drove to the viewing point. It was not the best time of day to shoot because the sun was directly overhead, which causes the sky to appear white in your photo. I was not satisfied with the shots that I got, so I drove into the neighborhood nearby. I found a spot where I could get about 20 yards from the light, but there was a huge oak tree right in the way, as well as a locked gate. I guess I'll have to go back down there when I can take the tour, but for now, this photo is the best I have.

Amelia Island..

I took A1A down to Jacksonville to shoot the St. John's river, as well as the St. John's lighthouse on the Mayport Naval Base. You can get a day pass to the base, and shoot both of them, however, it was getting late in the day, and I still had to go the bank before they closed. I got to the Mayport Ferry, and could see the St. Johns River light closeby. I figred that if I could get a good shot of it without going onto the base, that's what I would do. I took the ferry across, and drove into the historic Mayport town, drove to the end of the street, and sure enough, there was the lighthouse. There was a fence with razor wire too, but that gives the photo a different feel to it. I'll get the other lighthouse on the base, as well as a better angle for this one the next time I go down there.

St. Johns River Lighthouse...

On my way back up, I decided stopped in Daytona Beach to shoot the Ponce Inlet lighthouse. As I drove down Dunlawton Dr. I began to hear thunder. Lots of it. It was a beautiful day though. I'm not talking about a storm's thunder. I'm talking about rolling thunder with chrome and steel. It was Bike Week. I drove to the lighthouse, and there were bikers all over the place. I wish I had more time to stay a while. It was a great festive party atmosphere with them. There were even some lighthouse enthusiasts among them. I spoke with one guy who had a mohawk, and was covered with tattoos, who had traveled to get 33 lighthouses over the years. Ponce Inlet was numer 34. I don't climb lighthouses very much because I have a very bad knee. The only lights I've climed are Harbour Town and St. Augustine. But, I did go into the Ponce Inlet light, and looked up. I saw a biker struggling on the stairs, and finally he yelled down to his wife who wasn't climbing to catch his leather chaps. He took them off, and threw them down to her, and resumed his climb. "Much Better!" he called down. There is also a museum there with a working Fresnel Lens on display.

Here is the Ponce Inlet lighthouse, which is also taller than Tybee.

I still had a day left, and Megan had a day off, so we decided to go up to Myrtle Beach, SC to shoot the Governor's lighthouse. There's something strange about that one, and I don't really know what it is. Megan finally worked up the guts to use my Nikon D70S and take some pictures. She was still intimidated by it though. She was afraid she would break it. This is one of the photos she took.

Governor's Lighthouse...

That's it for now. Next stop, in 2 weeks, all the lighthouses in North Carolina.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61112 03/16/08 04:52 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome Bill (and Megan)!

Thanks for jumping right in and sharing your great lighthouse photos.

One great thing about loving lighthouses is that the photos of another person bring back the memories of your personal visits to those lights.

Last time I was at Tybee, they were rededicating and relighting it. I think it was February of 1999 (but I may have that year wrong.)

Re: My lighthouse travels #61113 03/17/08 09:38 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome Bill & Megan! Great photos and narrative to make your first splash on the CF.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: My lighthouse travels #61114 03/17/08 11:28 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Super, Super shots!! Welcome and keep 'em coming!!

Sandy

P.S. We took photos of St. John's River in 2006. Stan and his cousin were at the fence with the lenses poking through the holes and were greeted by two guards who'd hightailed it across the road to ask what they were doing. The marines "yes, sir'd" them but let them know they were to photograph the lighthouse and only the lighthouse and move on. We tried to get on the base at that time to get a picture or two of the other St. John's, but it must have been too soon after 9/11 because the base was closed to the public at that time. I'd be interested to know if and when you do go again if you are, in fact, able to get on the site.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61115 03/17/08 02:40 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
^^^

I didn't see any guards when I took those shots. But I will let you know if I'm successful. Another tricky one will be Cape Canaveral. I'll have to bribe the bus driver to stop near the lighthouse, and give me 2 minutes to shoot it since it isn't part of the tour anymore.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61116 03/17/08 02:42 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Bill, for sharing so many wonderful photos. It just makes me more anxious to see the lights we haven't seen yet. The SC and GA lights are those for a future trip but in the meantime it was great seeing your photos and reading your adventures.

Judy

Re: My lighthouse travels #61117 03/17/08 03:21 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
^^

You're welcome...

There's still 2 lights in GA, and 2 in SC that I don't have. GA, Sapelo Island, and Cumberland River. SC, Cape Romain and Georgetown. Those 4 require boat trips to see them.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61118 03/17/08 03:52 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Suggest you book your seat on the Cape Canaveral tour bus that goes by the light prior to going to the site--we were by 10:30 AM on February 27th and all seats were sold out. Think they only run that bus twice daily. They will let you book using a credit card, but if you don't get there on time your credit card is still charged. Learned that via cell phone last year when we called in to book seats while on the way there from Georgia.

Sandy

Re: My lighthouse travels #61119 03/17/08 10:24 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Bill welcome. We are neighbors. I live now in Charlotte North Carolina. We were in Savanah Presidents Weekend and did the Tybee, Cockspur (wish I new about the path) and Sapelo Island lights. The day we took the ferry there was a funeral on the Island. We had to go around the casket to get on the ferry. We have been sick with soare throats since then. We also want to do Cape Roamin and Georgetown lights. Maybe sometime this summer. We tried Georgtown but the ferry got canceled. Maybe we will see you guys on a trip there.

Fran

Re: My lighthouse travels #61120 03/18/08 01:28 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
There are actually 2.5 lights on Sapelo....

You can do a flyover of the Little Cumberland Light, and also get some images of Amelia Island from the air. Wasn't a bad flight and it was a very cool old plane. Story is here .

You have had some great adventures. Look forward to hearing more.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61121 03/18/08 04:10 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by fra02441:
Hi Bill welcome. We are neighbors. I live now in Charlotte North Carolina. We were in Savanah Presidents Weekend and did the Tybee, Cockspur (wish I new about the path) and Sapelo Island lights. The day we took the ferry there was a funeral on the Island. We had to go around the casket to get on the ferry. We have been sick with soare throats since then. We also want to do Cape Roamin and Georgetown lights. Maybe sometime this summer. We tried Georgtown but the ferry got canceled. Maybe we will see you guys on a trip there.

Fran
I used to live in Charlotte and Rock Hill. The first week of April, Megan and I will be in NC to shoot all the lights there. Not sure when we will be going to Romain and Georgetown though.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61122 03/18/08 04:12 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
There are actually 2.5 lights on Sapelo....

You can do a flyover of the Little Cumberland Light, and also get some images of Amelia Island from the air. Wasn't a bad flight and it was a very cool old plane. Story is here .

You have had some great adventures. Look forward to hearing more.
How much does the plane trip cost, and do you have a number for that pilot?

Re: My lighthouse travels #61123 04/21/08 10:48 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well, my North Carolina plans fell through. Its been postponed until July..And, I may try to get the Virginia lighthouses in that trip as well.

Cape Romain and Georgetown will happen soon, as well as Little Cumberland and Sapelo Island.

In September, I will be going to Florida to see the Miami Dolphins (my team) play the New York Jets. During that trip, I will be adding Jupiter, Hillsboro Inlet, and Cape Florida. Hopefully, the Cape Canaveral lighthoue will be re added to the tour at Kennedy Space Center.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61124 04/23/08 05:39 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How are you getting to Cape Romain?

Re: My lighthouse travels #61125 04/23/08 11:25 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
^^^

By boat. On the Lighthouse Friends website, there is contact info for a local boat captain. Are you closeby? We could split the cost if you want to go.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61126 04/24/08 12:44 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would love to, can you tell me when you are going and I will see if I can do it. Are you doing both Cape Romain and Georgetown. there is only 3 on the boat are you the only one going?

Re: My lighthouse travels #61127 04/25/08 12:12 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
^^^
Not sure. I just found a boat tour that costs $28 per person for Georgetown.

http://www.rovertours.com/shellingtour.html

I'm calling them tomorrow to find out if they dock there. If so, then it will be half as much only going to Romain.

It will probably be a month or so before I'm able to go to Cape Romain, and Megan will likely be with me.

How many will be with you?

Re: My lighthouse travels #61128 04/26/08 04:22 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Ok, I looked over the route for my trip in July when we will be going to North Carolina to shoot the lighthouses there. I figured that we could do it in 2 days if we hustled. The problem is that the last lighthouse on NC's Outer Banks is 100 or so miles north of Bald Head Island, which is just across the NC/SC state line. So, I decided to go today to shoot Old Baldy so that we won't have to cram with the risk of still getting to Bald Head Island too late to take the ferry.

I like the Tom Tom GPS system, but it was dead wrong on this trip. It had me taking a left off Highway 211, and traveling another 9 miles AWAY from Southport. I realized that this was wrong, and turned around, listening to Tom Tom repeatedly telling me to turn around. I found the ferry on my own.

As I was purchasing my ticket for the ferry, I looked over the water, and saw what looked like...a LIGHTHOUSE??? I couldn't really tell because it was behind a small island. All I could see was the top of it. As the ferry departed, the line of trees thinned, and we passed the island. It was clearly a lighthouse. I asked a deckhand which lighthouse that was. He told me that it was the Oak Island Lighthouse. I knew of this lighthouse! Its the one that looks like an upside down pencil! How could I have forgotten about this one? I even had it MAPPED OUT in my atlas for the NC trip, for the love of Pete! I asked the deckhand how far of a drive it was, and he told me to get back onto 211 on the way out, and make a left on Long Beach Rd. Follow it to the end, and you will run into the lighthouse. Its about 6 miles from 211, and the traffic wasn't that bad. You cross the Cape Fear River too, and if you have the time, you can park, and walk to the top of the bridge and get a beautiful shot of the Cape Fear River, a salt marsh, as well as the lighthouse. I didn't have time to do that though.

Anyway, back to Old Baldy...

The ferry docked, and it is about a 5 minute walk to the lighthouse. I've seen pictures of this light, but you can't really appreciate it until you've seen it in person. Its an odd looking lighthouse. It looks as if they were planning to build it higher, but decided to throw the light on top of it and call it a day. I climbed it. Bad knee and all. The view from the top is spectacular. Bald Head Island as a whole is gorgeous. I'd like to go back there and rent a golf cart to see the whole island when I have more time. You can also see the remains of the old Cape Fear Lighthouse. I didn't get to see that though. Maybe some other time.

And now, without further ado (I was just thinking of Monty Python and the Holy Grail scene where everyone yells "GET ON WITH IT!!!) Here is a photo of Old Baldy...

Then, it was on to Oak Island. There is an old Civil War era fort there called Ft. Caswell. I didn't get to go there.

And, since I gave my ado for this lighthouse before I talked about Old Baldy, there is no need for more ado.

Oak Island Lighthouse...

Well, that was a fun trip. I set out with the intention of getting one lighthouse, and I got two. Can't ask for a better outing, right?

I will post a few different pics of these 2 lighthouses in the Picture Gallery forum soon.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61129 04/26/08 11:02 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Wonderful photos, Bill, and I'm enjoying the commentary too. Reliving my own trips thru your eyes.

When you visited Old Baldy and Oak Island, you actually were really close to a third one, Price's Creek.

Thank's for sharing your trip. Looking forward to more.

Judy

Judy
Re: My lighthouse travels #61130 04/27/08 12:54 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It will probably be me and my husband but he dosnt do most boats because he gets sea sickness. I was also looking to do Georgetown for a couple of years. This boats lands for shelling on the island with the lighthouse. Either it rains or gets cancelled. I am still trying to do it this year. I would love to see If we can split Romain one day in the future.
Love your picture. What camera do you use? Back to the sick bed have a virus and this got me TIRED.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61131 04/27/08 09:51 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wonderful pictures Bill. I love reading your stories and looking at the pictures. Keep them coming.

Cyndi
Re: My lighthouse travels #61132 05/02/08 04:35 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Going to take the boat to the georgetown lighthouse this Saturday. Will I see you there Bill?

Re: My lighthouse travels #61133 05/03/08 01:12 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
^^^

Nope...Gotta work. frown I MAY be able to go on Tuesday or Wednesday, but I won't know until then. I'm looking forward to your pics though. smile

If you go up highway 17, into North Myrtle Beach..(In the Yacht Club) you can get the Governor's Lighthouse. Also, if you go about 20 miles into NC on 17, and get off on 211, you can get Old Baldy, Oak Island, and Price's Creek as well.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61134 05/05/08 04:20 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I did those last year. It took us 3 hours to drive to Georgetown. We got on the pantoon and we were told not to sit in first 2 seats unless you dont mind a little splash, so we took the 2nd two, but nobody sat in front of us. You guessed it. It was ruff out there 3+ waves and he almost turned around. I was soaked but it was not the first time so I crossed my fingers that he would get us there which he did. You can only get a picture from the boat on Rover Tours. You do not have enough time to walk there because he lands at the end of the island for shells and drift wood. I got some good pictures but have not had time to really look at them. Oh and there was an bald headed eagle. I was so intent on getting my lighthouse pictures that by the time I heard the shouts it was to late to get its picture. It was a great sight anyway. The guy on the boat gave me a boat for Cape Romain. I so want to do that one. will wait for you to split it. Let me know

Re: My lighthouse travels #61135 05/28/08 05:06 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well, Megan had not been to see Old Baldy and Oak Island, so we decided to go out there yesterday. She loved Old Baldy, and we went to Oak Island to get some sunset shots of the light. Here are a couple of them..

On Oak Island, we found a seafood restaurant. Its on the road just after the bridge. Make a right turn at the light, and go down about a mile. Its on the right. The food is good, but the management leaves alot to be desired. We got our bill, and left a good tip in cash on the table. You take the bill up to the counter to pay. The manager rang us out, and when we didn't add a tip to the check, he gave us a VERY dirty look, and went from friendly to a MAJOR ass. I would have liked to have been there when the waitress told him that we not only tiped her, but tipped her VERY well. I will never be going to that restaurant again.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61136 07/10/08 02:02 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well, the 14 lighthouses trip didn't happen as planned...stimulus check didn't arrive in time. But, we did give Captain Gallager a call, and he took us out to the Georgetown and Cape Romain lighthouses.

There are signs up at Georgetown that say No Trespassing, but when we got there, we saw people at the top of the lighthouse. Safety in numbers, I guess. But, when we got off the boat, I took my shoes off. Megan stayed on the beach, butI went into the grounds, and tried to go behind the lighthouse for some different angles photos of it. Big mistake, as the whole area is full of small cactus...that I didn't notice (step on) until I was about 20 yards off the path. I spent a good 10 minutes just trying to get back to the path. I must have picked 20 cactus out of my bare feet.

Anyway, it is a very nice light, and it wouldn't take much to fix it up. It is still operational too. It has a solar powered lens that comes on at dusk.

Here is Georgetown

Then, on to Cape Romain. You can't go ashore there at all. But, the view that you do get is spectacular. Captain Gallager told us that there are wild goats on the island, which have been there since the light was last manned in the 40's. We didnt see them though. We did see several dolphins, and got some great closeup photos of them.

This view is spectacular. It shows the low country waterway as well as the lights.

That's all for now. Hopefully, we'll do the Outer Banks and Virginia soon.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61137 07/10/08 11:35 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like it was a great trip. I wish I didnt have to work the first day back from Michigan.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61138 07/10/08 11:37 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing this adventure. With the challenge of the cactus, did either of you go up close to the station? From your shot, it looks like the buildings aren't in too bad shape, as you note. Wonder if there is anything in there at all. (Kind of a rhetoric question - figure looters would have cleaned out anything left behind)

I do like your image of Cape Romain, especially with both towers. Your Georgetown image is also nice, including so much of the station.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61139 07/10/08 12:25 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice photos and great info. cool

Those small cactus sound painful. eek

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: My lighthouse travels #61140 07/10/08 01:23 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
Thanks for sharing this adventure. With the challenge of the cactus, did either of you go up close to the station? From your shot, it looks like the buildings aren't in too bad shape, as you note. Wonder if there is anything in there at all. (Kind of a rhetoric question - figure looters would have cleaned out anything left behind)

I do like your image of Cape Romain, especially with both towers. Your Georgetown image is also nice, including so much of the station.
The buildings are in good shape. There is one building that was used for bunking. The bunk beds are still there, and are in very good shape. But, it looks like someone was using it as a staging area to hunt deer. There was dried corn all over the floor. The windows have all been broken out, but the walls are all intact.

I did go inside the lighthouse, but didn't climb it. It has a concrete staircase. I would like to go back there sometime to really take in the area, and climb the lighthouse. This time, I wasted so much time with the cactus, and I didn't want to hold Captain Gallager and Megan up, so I didn't stay long once I got back on to the walkways.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61141 07/10/08 02:40 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
In September, I will be going to Florida to see the Miami Dolphins (my team) play the New York Jets. During that trip, I will be adding Jupiter, Hillsboro Inlet, and Cape Florida
Look for a distant view of Fowey Rocks from the top of Cape Florida. Also check out www.reeflights.org/ for more Florida Reef Lights info.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: My lighthouse travels #61142 07/10/08 03:16 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Then, on to Cape Romain. You can't go ashore there at all. But, the view that you do get is spectacular. Captain Gallager told us that there are wild goats on the island, which have been there since the light was last manned in the 40's. We didnt see them though. We did see several dolphins, and got some great closeup photos of them.
I'm sorry you were not able to land at Cape Romain. I was there a couple of years ago and the path from the old dock area to the lights were clear. We had to wade in beside the dock for about 15-20 yards in less than knee deep water. The area around the lights was also clear and we were able to get inside of the old tower. The goats were not in sight, but man we could smell them.

Eric
Re: My lighthouse travels #61143 07/10/08 05:30 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel58:
Quote:
I'm sorry you were not able to land at Cape Romain. I was there a couple of years ago and the path from the old dock area to the lights were clear. We had to wade in beside the dock for about 15-20 yards in less than knee deep water. The area around the lights was also clear and we were able to get inside of the old tower. The goats were not in sight, but man we could smell them.
The dock is no longer there. The posts that held it up are still there, but the dock itself is gone. Now, in order to get to it, you'd have to wade through about 100 yards of salt marsh. Not a good idea. Once on Hilton Head Island, I tried to walk through some, and one step into it, I sank almost a foot. I wanted to do it anyway, but Captain Gallager said it wasn't a good idea. He was a very nice man, and we ha a great time. It is definately worth the money to go with him.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61144 07/10/08 06:09 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
The dock is no longer there. The posts that held it up are still there, but the dock itself is gone. Now, in order to get to it, you'd have to wade through about 100 yards of salt marsh. Not a good idea. Once on Hilton Head Island, I tried to walk through some, and one step into it, I sank almost a foot. I wanted to do it anyway, but Captain Gallager said it wasn't a good idea. He was a very nice man, and we ha a great time. It is definately worth the money to go with him.
When I was there the only thing left of the dock was the piles also. Our guide stated that if we stayed just to the left of the piles the ground was very firm. We did so and did not sink in.

I thought I had a photo of the "troops" wading ashore at CR, but I don't. I did however have a picture of a goat. Got the rear end of one hightailing it out of sight near the base of the new tower. laugh

Eric
Re: My lighthouse travels #61145 03/20/09 01:19 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Tybee_Sullivan:
Ok, my wife and I are in Florida to photograph my sister's wedding....I can't wait until this hectic vacation is over. Its been full of drama. But, on Monday, we stopped at Ponce Inlet because my wife hadn't seen it. We got there at sunset and the place was closed, but we stil got some cool photos...

Wednesday, we set out to photograph Jupiter, Hillsboro, and Cape Florida.

At Jupiter, there is a guided tour that is required. We didn't realize that and this took about an hour and a half off our trip time...which we had planned so that we would miss rush hour traffic in Miami. Our guide was less than impressive too. He was very limited in his presentation about the lighthouse, and said that he really doesn't care about lighthouses, and just worked there. Here is Jupiter Inlet:

Then, we started out to Hillsboro Inlet. It started POURING rain on the way, and I was getting really irritated. I was going to wait until the rain stopped no matter what. We came to 14th street SE and on top of the rain and the lost time at Jupiter, the drawbridge was malfunctioning. We were sitting there for 20 minutes. Finally, we got across and to 16th st. The rain had stopped, and we got some really good photos of the light with menacing clouds in the sky.

Then, rain and all, we headed back on to I95 to Cape Florida. We could see the northbound nightmare that awaited us on the way back. I-95 north was a parking lot. We went down to the beach to see the lighthouse. It was not as big as I thought, but its still a beauty.

You can see that it was still cloudy and rainy, but it semed to let up while we were in the park, but seemed to come back when we got into the I-95 North parking lot. violin

You can also see the Fowey Rocks lighthouse in the distance. It was too far away to get a photo though. There is a breakwater around the tip of Key Biscayne. It is worth walking around because there is a reef all around it with the beautiful reef fish. We also saw a 6 ft stingray swimming along. It was actually better than going to an aquarium because it was natural.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61146 03/20/09 01:57 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pictures Bill. I'm glad you added it onto your old post, because I hadn't seen those pictures. Something about little Cockspur Lighthouse...(and I don't mean that its not taller than Tybee) I am going to have to see it in person. Thanks for sharing.

Laura
Re: My lighthouse travels #61147 03/20/09 02:00 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
I actually like these shots as they are not your fair weather, everyday photo most tend to get...myself included. So, I think you were very lucky to have rain and clouds!

Re: My lighthouse travels #61148 03/20/09 03:36 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice shots. That was a lot of driving to do.
Fran

Re: My lighthouse travels #61149 03/21/09 03:03 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures!

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: My lighthouse travels #61150 03/21/09 12:13 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pics Tybee !!!

I'd have been a little cautious with a Raccoon thats out in daylight!

Stan M
Re: My lighthouse travels #61151 03/21/09 02:39 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Very nice pics Tybee. I tend to agree with you on the guided tour requirement at Jupiter. John and I drove there on a Saturday from Miami after we got off a cruise. We schedulded an early evening flight back to Utah so that we could have plenty of time to drive up and get back to the airport.

The people there were so nit-picky on the tour requirement and time to allow you to enter the lighthouse grounds from the locked gate. They really didn't care that we had driven from Miami and still had to drive back to the airport that day. I think they need to change the way they allow admittance to the grounds. It should be optional for people to take the tour if you have limited time. frustrated

Re: My lighthouse travels #61152 03/22/09 01:43 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Thanks again for the comments..If I made it sound like I was disappointed by the bad weather, it wasn't my intention. I love my bad weather pics of Hillsboro Inlet, and Cape Florida. But this trip was the most hectic 'vacation' I've ever taken, and the lighthouse day was no different, starting with Jupiter's issues. Lorie, I couldn't agree more with you about Jupiter.

Loon, I was being careful. If the little guy had come closer, we would have stepped back. We weren't the ones feeding it.

WVlights, You're right....Cockspur is a very intriguing lighthouse. You MUST go see it..and the Tybee Lighthouse as well. wink

It was a VERY long week, and I'm glad its over with. My next trip will be the Outer Banks and Virginia, but I'm not sure when it will be...although, a day trip to the Florida Panhandle, or Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana could happen before the OBX.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61153 03/22/09 09:47 AM
ktamlin Offline
Bill

Thaks for sharing your pictures. Make me want to get back on the road and start shooting again.

John & Karen
Re: My lighthouse travels #61154 03/23/09 03:49 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
For people who want to get pictures of Jupiter and dont want to worry about going in, There is a boat dock across the water that you can get great pictures from. You go over the bridge and make the first left at the light. Its the 2nd left into the restaurant. There is a gate on the side of the restuarant. I cant remeber the name but it is a crab place and it has great food.

Re: My lighthouse travels #61155 03/23/09 10:31 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
^^

We saw that lot while we were on the property, but we had already paid for our tour. But, I do like the close up photos I got. If you shot it from there, your view would be obstructed by trees. I wanted to go there for the perspective with the water from the inlet in the photo, but we were already running behind at that point. frown

Re: My lighthouse travels #61156 03/23/09 11:35 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You did get nice shots I love the Hillsboro one too

Re: My lighthouse travels #61157 03/24/09 03:02 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pictures Bill. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Cyndi
Re: My lighthouse travels #61158 04/05/10 11:34 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Looks like the next trip will be in August. I plan on getting better pics of Mayport, and Amelia Island, as well as the other St. Johns lighthouse. If there's time, I'll also be going back to St. Simons and St. Augustine and POSSIBLY, Sapelo Island.

Sometime this fall, I'll be going to the west coast to the San Francisco area.

Looks like I need to fix my links. I'll get to that tonight.

Re: My lighthouse travels [Re: Tybee_Sullivan] #209454 09/27/14 12:10 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Ok, I know its been a few years since I've been here, but I have a good excuse! I haven't been anywhere! lol Seriously, I ran into a several year stretch of bad luck that I am still trying to get out of. But, my wife and I did get to get out on a lighthouse excursion...And, we had a passenger! We have a 4 year old little girl named Savannah who got to see her first lighthouses on this trip! I'll get to that shortly, but first, a photo of Cape Canaveral that I forgot to put here before. Its far off, but I visited it up close as a kid.

We FINALLY got to go to the Outer Banks, but as my luck dictates, it rained the ENTIRE trip. Know that Noreaster that is pounding the North East right now? It was in the Carolinas earlier this week. So, most of my pics have a dreary sky. I kept telling myself "This is the weather that lighthouses were built for! They were not built for blue skies with puffy happy little cotton candy clouds!" Yep..I kept telling myself that. LOL

First up was the Roanoke River Replica in Plymouth, NC. This pic has a blue sky, but this was when we stopped there on the way back. Figures we'd get sunshine to light our trip back home. lol

Next, before checking into our hotel, we went straight to Currituck. We wanted to make sure that we would be able to get there in time for Vannah to get to climb it. She was excited about seeing lighthouses because of the many photos of them throughout our house. We made it with about 15 minutes to spare, and she got to climb it. The wind must have been blowing at 40+ mph sustained at the top of the tower. I'm glad it wasn't raining at that time because each raindrop would have felt like a needle. Currituck is a cool lighthouse, but like St Augustine, its hard to get a good photo of it because of all the trees.

Here is Vannah climbing Currituck:

The next day, we went to the Wright Brothers Memorial and Bodie Island. (The Wright Brothers Memorial is a lighthouse if you ask me. It sits on a big hill, and is about the size of Jupiter! PLUS, it has a rotating beacon at the top. If it looks like a duck...)

This picture has the tower in the background. The foreground shows a replica of the plane.

Then, we went to Bodie Island. I was SO disappointed with the weather. I wanted one of those incredible sunset pics of that lighthouse. I even went back that night to try to get a night pic like the ones you can get at Tybee. The only light there at night is the beacon itself. Its VERY creepy there at night. Hatteras is like that too.

The next day, we went down to Cape Hatteras. Most of the highway between Pea Island and Hatteras was flooded with deep water. It was a challenging ride that took about 90 minutes when it should have only taken about 40. This is an equally dismal shot as Bodie. I have others where you can barely see the top of the tower. It was also pouring there most of the time we were there.

We kept on. Despite what the photo looks like, it was only about 1PM in that picture. We took in the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum, and boarded the ferry to Ocracoke. I gotta say, that is a cool island. It looks like a MAJOR party place. And, despite the flooded yard where the lighthouse is, I love this pic. At least the water was good for something. ;)

I will be photoshopping the truck out of this pic though. :)

The last day, we set out and got the other screw pile lights. First, Roanoke Marshes:

And, of course as soon as we left the Outer Banks, the sun came out. Not sure if you guys know this, but the Roanoke River Lighthouse has been completely refurbished, and has been open for tours for about a month now!!! It looks BEAUTIFUL! http://edentonlighthouse.org/ Edenton NC is a beautiful and friendly little town as well. There is also a museum apart from the lighthouse.

Hard to believe this is the same lighthouse as this one: http://a66c7b.medialib.glogster.com/medi...-lighthouse.jpg

We did not get to Cape Lookout or any of the offshore lights. Lookout will be added soon, and we will be going back at some point. I want some pretty sky/sunset pics of Bodie, Hatteras, and Ocracoke. And of course, Cape Lookout. And, as usual, I will post everything here!

To date, 31 lighthouses visited!

Last edited by Tybee_Sullivan; 09/27/14 12:37 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Re: My lighthouse travels [Re: Tybee_Sullivan] #209456 09/29/14 03:00 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks for posting your trip photos Tybee. Not many folks here on the forums anymore who post trip summaries. It's fun to enjoy other peoples lighthouse adventures. I used to look forward to reading and seeing photos of the many trips that were posted, but very few appear.

Thanks again, I enjoyed it.

Larry

Re: My lighthouse travels [Re: Tybee_Sullivan] #209457 09/29/14 10:03 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Any lighthouse adventure is an adventure. Sometimes you don't get the weather break, but you did get some great pictures anyways. Thanks for sharing with us. Great that your daughter got to experience her first lighthousing and got to climb her first lighthouse. Currituck is a great one to start with.

Re: My lighthouse travels [Re: Tybee_Sullivan] #209462 10/05/14 03:23 PM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the photos of the Outer Banks. Still on my bucket list. Probably not until Summer or Fall 2016.

Right now I am focused on a trip to Maine, which I have put off for several years due to a variety of job issues.

I want to do Maine in summer 2015-anytime after July 1. Any recommendations on timing of this trip? I have available July 1, 2015 to the end of the Labor Day weekend, 2015. I was considering flying from KC to Portland, ME, but maybe fly into Boston Logan instead. Any suggestions on timing and which airport to go to? Should I try to include the Massachusetts lighthouses or just focus on the Maine ones? I only have about a week. I certainly can come back and do the Massachusetts ones on another trip. My focus is on the Maine lighthouses.
Thanks for your ideas! Glad to be back and posting.

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse
Re: My lighthouse travels [Re: Tybee_Sullivan] #209463 10/05/14 03:52 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Portland is a small airport that (at least used to be) primarily served by commuters. What that means is you may fly to Atlanta to get to Portland. Better options at Boston but also more headache potential. Look at Manchester NH. Several of us flew through there on one of our trips. You are almost certain to have to connect someplace - try at all costs to avoid Philadelphia. I'm not sure they have ever had a flight leave on time - I have had several multiple hours delays there. If there is bad weather anywhere on the east coast, Philadelphia has problems.

You might be able to pick up a few MA lights along the way north, but both MA and ME have very spread out lighthouses because of the coast. Many of us are spoiled by how easy it is to get to most of the lights in Michigan, but in ME especially you will be driving well out a spit of land to get to the lights. But, you don't want to skip them.

As I recall, July-August is moose season in case you wanted to look for one (and especially be sure to look out for one).

Re: My lighthouse travels [Re: Dave H] #209466 10/06/14 10:08 PM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Dave. Super information about where to fly to. I think I will look into Manchester instead of Portland. Also good thoughts about how much time to allot to get to the lighthouses. Yes, Michigan is certainly easy to get to a spot to see lighthouses. I'll make sure that I add a day or two to my trip to make sure I can see the main Maine :-) lighthouses on my list.

I do want to see a moose - saw one in Michigan but from way way afar - so I will schedule late July or August for my Maine trip. How about bears in Maine? Or bald eagles?

Thanks!
Carol

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,429 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users