cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Black & White Film #6089 08/04/99 02:51 AM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
Today, I bought my first roll of Black & white film. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried using b&w film, and if so, what advice they would give? Thanks.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Black & White Film #6090 08/04/99 07:33 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Jake,

I remember a brownie box camera with only black & white film. Have light. More forgiving than color.

Moby

Moby
Re: Black & White Film #6091 08/04/99 11:36 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hi Jake. Kodak has a new black and white film which is processed and printed in a color lab using color paper. What this means is that you can shoot you black and white prints and get them developed at the nearest Walmart or at the corner drug store. For many of us who came up shooting lots of black and white film because we loved the look of the prints, it solves the problem of having to take it to a custom lab and pay twice as much as color prints to see it. Try it, think you will like the results.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Black & White Film #6092 08/04/99 03:34 PM
S
S Dalessandro Offline
S
Ilford also has a black and white film meant for development in color chemistry. It's called Super XP2. I think the Kodak film is called TMax 400CN and may be more readily available. I'll write about the Ilford film once I try the rolls I purchased and look forward to any reports on the Kodak film.

Steve D.
Re: Black & White Film #6093 08/04/99 04:01 PM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
In fact, the roll that I got WAS the one that Jim talked about. It is called Black & White + 400 for Kodak's Select Series. The lady at the photo desk said that the TMax one was the regular film that took longer. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try the trial roll this weekend in Cleveland. Hopefully I'll be successful.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Black & White Film #6094 08/05/99 12:46 AM
drwhok9 Offline
You did not say what type of camera you are using but if you are using a 35mm camera you might want to use a no. 25 red filter for black and white film used for outdoor photos. This filter will darken the blue skies and allow clouds and buildings and other things to have a higher contrast to the sky. You might also have to tell the place you have the film developed that you have used a filter, if you do, so they do not try to adjust for the higher contrast.

I was pleased to learn about the new b/w film, I had not heard about it. I used to take a lot of color photos only because it was so difficult to have b/w film developed. Now I may have to take some on my vacation to Mackinaw City, Mi in three weeks and try some pictures of the bridge, forts and of course the lighthouse.

Jim

PS. Again depending on your camera, you may have to be careful if this is a fully automatic camera as some cameras are programmed to work best with color print/slide film and need some special care when using b/w film. The camera instructions should give this information or hopefully the manufacture's web site might be helpful. If I think of anything else before Fri. I will post the information here.

Jim

[This message has been edited by drwhok9 (edited 08-04-99).]

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Black & White Film #6095 08/05/99 12:13 PM
FrankB Offline
Besides the advantages of being able to take the new black & white films to most anywhere for developing, I would recommend against Kodak's TMax unless you are looking for special effects. I found this film to have higher contrast than one would normally want. If you were going to scan a black & white photo into your computer in order to convert it in to a 2-tone image (black & white only with no shades of gray) then this film would make that easier. Otherwise, I recommend against it.
Another thing you can do with black & white film, and I believe you can use the new film as well since it relies upon the type of paper on which the print are developed, is to have a picture developed as a sepia-tone photo (i.e. a "yesteryear" look). This would require going to a custom lab and would therefore involve added expense.

FrankB
Re: Black & White Film #6096 08/05/99 04:19 PM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
drwhok,

I am going to use my panoramic/zoom camera, which is one of those point and shoot type things, because we are using my dad's 35mm Canon for color photos because of the different lenses.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Black & White Film #6097 08/06/99 11:44 PM
drwhok9 Offline
Hi Jake

I am sorry but I do not know much about the point and shoot style of camera you have. I would guess that it has a fixed lens and that you cannot add filters to it. I have a regular 35mm camera by Nikon and like it for the different lens's and filters I can use for all sorts of effects for just the reason you are going to use your father's camera. I would be interested in your results if you would be so kind to post that information here. Just whether you are happy with the results or not. Good luck with the photos, I hope you have good weather where you are going and most of all Have Fun!

Jim.

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Black & White Film #6098 08/07/99 05:45 PM
Art Offline
Jake,

Using the B&W in the 35mm SLR over a long period of time will be an education in itself and is highly recommended. It will make you aware of lighting and shadows that can make or break any photo -- color or B&W -- in a way that color film cannot. Using B&W regularly can make you a better photographer, imo, if you pay attention to the lessons it teaches and keep records of settings while shooting. It is very easy to pay less attention to lighting and composition when vibrant colors distract you. Using B&W (and afterward seeing the results) will force you to consider such factors before each squeeze of the shutter button.

Good luck!

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Black & White Film #6099 08/08/99 08:53 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Black & white film? I know I've been on vacation for a while, but not that long!

I use to shoot with B&W many years ago. The film of choice back then was Kodak "Tri-X". Does anybody else remember "Tri-X"? Do they still make it?

Bob

Re: Black & White Film #6100 08/08/99 11:56 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Black and white film, Jake? I guess when I used that it was the only film there was. Sort of like when TV was black and white, but then what would a kid like you know about that?

Good luck!

MOMBO

Re: Black & White Film #6101 08/09/99 03:10 AM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
First, I would like to thank everyone for all the advice. The weather was great, and we all had a good time. I still have a few pics to take, and then I can get it developed.

Bob, yes, they still make Tri-X. It was one of my two choices, but passed it up, due to the length of development time, and cost for processing.

Mombo, I know about black and white TV. I watch those old shows on Nick at Nite sometimes.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Black & White Film #6102 08/09/99 03:47 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Hey Jake, how did you like Cleveland? did you go ahead and take the Goodtime III cruise to get close to the 2 lights? If so, the cruise was pretty neat Eh? Visit the rock hall? local enquiring minds want to know.
Rod Watson
Re: Black & White Film #6103 08/09/99 12:11 PM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
Rod,

Yes, we went on the cruise on Friday. It was great. I took some pics of the skyline, which I hope come out pretty good. Not to mention that the waterfront looks like a great place. But we got delayed at one of the bridges, and we didn't go between the lights. We didn't go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, because by time the cruise ended, we had about an hour or so to go through it. And we just went to the Junior Olympics on Saturday morning and went home. But thanks for all the info, Rod. We all had a great time.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Black & White Film #6104 08/09/99 12:30 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Glad you had a good time, Jake. Too bad about not passing between the lights, but you still got somewhat close to them. Your correct on the Rock Hall timing. We have been there 4 times so far at around 2 hours+ each time. I finally feel that we have taken it all in now. Hope you enjoyed touring the "Mather" freighter. Next time you will have to tour the submarine, art museum, science center, and take in a game at the "Jake" (Jacob's Field).
Rod Watson
Re: Black & White Film #6105 08/09/99 12:36 PM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
Rod,

We didn't go on the Mather, either. By time we had gotten there and met my Aunt, her kids, her friend with her kids, it would have been cutting it too close. We only went on the cruise. But we'll probably go again, so we'll get to see all that cool stuff. The other part of our party arrived on Wednesday, so they got to see more stuff, including the Science Center and Sea World.

BTW, WHat do you think of the Mather's controversial (among us boatnerds) paint job?

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Black & White Film #6106 08/09/99 10:40 PM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
I got the roll finished and developed today (1 hour photo). They came out great except for one thing.On some of them, I made the mistake of not having enough light shining on them. But they still came out great. Black and white are going lighthousing in 99!

Supporting the Blast from the Past "Color" Film,

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Black & White Film #6107 08/11/99 12:05 AM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are one of the results of the new B&W film. Cleveland East Pierhead Light.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=64226&a=465611&p=11514832&sequence=1[/img]

Jakers

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users