Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouses of Europe- Northern Ireland July 2006 #60870 08/15/06 02:01 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We left Scotland and cruised back across the way to Northern Ireland.

We docked in Belfast early in the morning and since our excursion that day wasn't until 1 PM we had plenty of time to hang around the ship- and sleep late.

It's kind of funny that the only part of the trip that I had definitely planned a lighthouse visit is the country with the smallest amount of lighthouses viewed.

We only got to see one lighthouse in Northern Ireland. I was hoping to get to see at least one more but the weather - which was extremely cooperative 99% of the time- was not cooperative on the way out of Belfast.

We drove through the part of Belfast that housed the low income Protestants of the city. We say many examples of the murals painted on the sides of their housing complexes that showed support for the Protestant militias. We did not get to the Catholic areas but we were told the same thing shows up there.

We did get to see one of the most complete surviving Cistercian Abbeys in Ireland. Founded in 1193 by Affreca, wife of John de Courcy Grey Abbey.

Here are a couple of photos of what survives.

Grey Abbey

We were lucky to get onto the grounds of the abbey. There was a sign in the window of the small museum exhibit that read " Abbey Closed Due To antisocial Behaviour"

They had rampaging hordes of youths running wild through the grounds over the past few days. The kids would be gone before the police could get there.

We continued on our way to the town of Donaghadee where we were to have our treat of the day- for most of those on the bus it was the Irish Coffee at the Pub but for me it was the Lighthouse there.

Here's a little momento I picked up at the Pub we stopped at- a matchbox with the lighthouse image on it.

There was also one of the many castles that dot the country side of both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

I had time to walk around a bit and get some photos of the harbour area as well as the lighthouse. It's a small compact harbour. They do have a life saving station there, though.

Here's a couple of photos of the harbour. The tide seems to be quite wide swinging. laugh

Here's another shot of the harbour from a slightly different angle.

I'll continue in the next post due to picture limitations.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of Europe- Northern Ireland July 2006 #60871 08/15/06 02:10 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I took quite a number of photos of the Donaghadee lighthouse. It was the only one I could get up close to.

Here are several from different angles.

We took our leave of donaghadee and drove back to the ship. We pulled out of Belfast and I was hoping to get to see Black Antrim lighthouse but the closer we got to the open sea the more the fog rolled in.

I think I got a very quick glimpse of the lighthouse but I could not get a photo of it. The fog was errie. The ships were blowing the foghorns and they were flowing into and out of the mist- literally.

I took some photos but most did not come out that well.

Here's one of a smokestack from what I believe is a power generating plant.

We continued on into the open sea and it got even worse. We spent the next day at sea cruising towards the fjords of Norway.

Next stop- the Lightouses of Norway.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of Europe- Northern Ireland July 2006 #60872 08/15/06 06:00 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
That is a good looking lighthouse. Nice detail of the top, Dennis.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Lighthouses of Europe- Northern Ireland July 2006 #60873 08/15/06 06:24 PM
beachcomber Offline
Very nice, Dennis. That must be a graveyard in the second picture of the abbey. I'd love to visit that! Old tombstones (if not totally weatherworn) usually show such wonderful history.

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouses of Europe- Northern Ireland July 2006 #60874 08/15/06 08:00 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Two questions come to mind about the Donaghadee light: What is the tower made of? Concrete, wood, steel plate? And, what are the multiple little doo-dads (cvery technical term) that surround the lantern room, most noticeable in the close up shot? Kind of make one think of vent pipes with lamp shades or turbines on top.

Re: Lighthouses of Europe- Northern Ireland July 2006 #60875 08/15/06 08:44 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
Two questions come to mind about the Donaghadee light: What is the tower made of? Concrete, wood, steel plate? And, what are the multiple little doo-dads (cvery technical term) that surround the lantern room, most noticeable in the close up shot? Kind of make one think of vent pipes with lamp shades or turbines on top.
Dave,

Here's the answer to the first question-

"The tower is built of cut limestone, fluted, and in its early days was unpainted in natural grey colour. Today the tower, including the lantern and dome, is painted white with a black plinth, a decision which was taken some time between 1869 and 1875." (from the commisioner Of Irish Lights )

"Today the tower, including the lantern and dome, is painted white allowing the tower to take on the colour of the superb local sunsets."(from the BBC site)

The second question's answer is more speculation than knowledge- I think the items at the top are vents of some kind. I believe the doodad on the outside of the lantern room may be a camera to overlook the harbour.

The other item looks like an antenna of some sort.

Sorry to not be of more help- there was nobody to ask these things of.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of Europe- Northern Ireland July 2006 #60876 08/15/06 10:31 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with you on the camera and the antennae. Thanks for the insight on construction.

Kind of interesting the different designs of lantern rooms we have here in the US. Other countries don't seem to use ventilator balls and lightning rods like we use.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users