cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rhode Island Lights #60588 09/09/02 02:51 AM
beckitex Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all. I'm planning a trip to New England this October (yet again...). I was there in July and went lighthousing in RI. I had, what I thought, were really good directions to Beavertail light. I know I was going the right direction but got totally turned around in this residential part of Jamestown. Can anyone help? Also, I'm considering hopping on the ferry over to Block Island. Does the ferry run in Oct. (I'll be there 10/19-10/26) and will I need to take a bike or car to get around the island? Thanks for your help!

------Becki smile

Becki smile
Re: Rhode Island Lights #60589 09/09/02 08:12 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Becki, ... The ferries run all year to the Block. They are fewer ferries in the off-season. The Hi-Speed Ferry stops running just about the time you are headed there. The Interstate Navigation Ferry runs several times daily out of Point Judith, RI, and New London, CT.

You missed Beavertail Light? Don't make that mistake again. It's a great spot! Once you're on the island, just head south and look for the State Park. If you're in town, just ask someone there. Beavertail Light is only a couple of miles from there.

smile Bob smile

Re: Rhode Island Lights #60590 09/09/02 11:37 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Becki,

You don't absolutely need your car on Block Island. The taxis go everywhere and can communicate with each other to get you picked up if they are full.

Bikes can be taken over on the Ferry without a reservation, but if you want to take your car you should plan ahead and make a reservation for your trip over and back.

There is only so much room on the Ferry for vehicles. In October it should not be as busy, so you could take a chance and go standby, but if you plan on going on the weekend I'd plan ahead if you want your car.

The North Block Lighthouse parking area is about 5 miles out of town and then about a mile from the parking spot to the Lighthouse.

Southeast Block Lighthouse is not that far out of town- about 1 1/2 miles and is right off the road.

I'm not sure of the schedule in October, but if they are open you can tour the downstairs only of North Block and you can climb the tower of Southeast Block.

Here's a link for Ferry info.

http://www.blockisland.com/travel/

Dennis

Re: Rhode Island Lights #60591 10/03/02 01:22 AM
beckitex Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much for the info. I'm sorry it's taken me awhile to reply. My hard drive crashed on me and I was computerless for awhile.

I'll be up there the week of Oct. 21. Should be a great time to get some autumn pictures. I've roped my mom into going with me and we'll be all over New England.

I'll be sure to ask some of the Jamestown locals how to get to Beavertail. I had one heck of a time trying to find the park and for some reason, I didn't see any signs. I'll be sure to take the ferry to Block Island, too. I'd really like to see those 2 lights. Thanks for the pointers!!

--------Becki smile

Becki smile
Re: Rhode Island Lights #60592 10/04/02 11:07 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I just got back from a two day business trip out to Rhode Island and Mass. on Wednesday. Flew into Providence and drove up through Conn. up to Dudley Mass. When I was done on Tuesday I drove all the way back down to stay in Fall River just so I could go see Clarks Point. Wednesday morning drove back up (65 miles) to Dudley, MA., finished business, then drove back down to Newport RI, to see Beavertail, Castle Rock and Rose island. Got a great shot of Rose Island from downtown Jamestown. Had a little trouble finding Castle Rock up close, and kinda ran out of time. Rushed back to the airport and of course, my flight was delayed anyway!

Becki, Beavertail is just at the very bottom of Jamestown. Make sure you find it, It's worth the trip. It's in a state park. If all else fails, ask for directions. (I hear women do that sometimes, personally, being a man I'm not familiar with the practice!)

Two questions, maybe one of you northeasterners can answer. What rusty old caisson light is that right next to the bridge on 138 between Jamestown and Newport? And did I see another light on an island on the north side of the bridge, about a mile away?

Mike

Re: Rhode Island Lights #60593 10/04/02 12:04 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mike,

The Light right by the Bridge is the Plum Beach Light. There is a raod you can go down to get a good view of it, but there's no place to park.

I'm not sure what light you are referring to on an island north of the bridge unless you are referring to Rose Island which is near the bridge. You also have Goat Island (Newport Harbor Light) but that would be on the south side of the Bridge.

There was a Lighthouse on gould's Island which is north of the Bridge put it was replaced with a Skeletal tower in 1947. it is listed as now longer existing.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Re: Rhode Island Lights #60594 10/04/02 01:15 PM
beckitex Offline OP
OP Offline
Mike,

You sound like me...driving an insane amount of miles in a tiny bit of time just to see some lighthouses on the company dime. (hey..that rhymes :rolleyes: )

I will ask directions in Jamestown so that I can see Beavertail. Yes, women do ask directions..it's not a rumor and it usually keeps us from driving in circles for hours. eek I just could not find it last time for some reason and I had two lighthouse travel guide books with directions. That day, however, I had already driven from Boston to New London (where I got lost 10 times), back through Stonington, and all over Newport. It was near the end of a long day and I still had to drive back to Boston, so maybe I was just lighthoused out. It's a quest now, and I intend to see it this trip. I'll probably get a better picture now anyway, since all the leaves will be changing colors.

-----Becki smile

Becki smile
Re: Rhode Island Lights #60595 10/04/02 01:15 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Becki, depending on which direction you are approaching from, just before the Pell (Newport) bridge, or just after it if you are coming from Newport, take the exit for Downtown Jamestown.
You will be on Conanicus Avenue. Follow this through the small downtown area (there is a parking area there where you catch the ferry to Rose Island in-season and a distant view of Rose Island) and up the hill and turn right onto Hamilton Avenue. This road turns into Beavertail road at the stop sign. Continue straight (more or less) onto Beavertail Road, across the strip of land which connects the 2 islands of Jamestown and follow the road for about 2 1/2 miles which will bring you into Beavertail Park. Continue around the lighthouse and there is parking there.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Rhode Island Lights #60596 10/04/02 03:33 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for clearing that up Dennis. It may not have been a lighthouse I saw on that island, I was drivng through a construction site and trying to look at the same time.

Mike

Re: Rhode Island Lights #60597 10/05/02 09:42 PM
beckitex Offline OP
OP Offline
Jim,

Thanks for the directions. I've gone into downtown Jamestown a few times. There is a little parking area along the water at a little marina. If you're facing Rose Island Light, the bridge is off to your left, behind you is a hill that goes through what I consider downtown Jamestown. There are some shops and restaurants on each side of the street. Is that the road you are referring to? If so, that really explains how I got turned around. I had gone back the other direction out of town and ended up in this residential area along the water. I think I was having a bad day....hee hee.

---------Becki smile

Becki smile
Re: Rhode Island Lights #60598 10/06/02 12:16 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
That is indeed the road. Just follow the road that you came in on straight up the hill until Hamilton Avenue and you are on the way. Therefore, your road is to the right (away from the bridge) as you face Rose Island. The road up the hill behind you is Narrgansett Avenue, and a short way up the hill at 17 Narrgansett Avenue is Jamestown Design, which is the local Harbour Lights dealer and is full of other neat stuff too.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Rhode Island Lights #60599 10/06/02 02:04 PM
beckitex Offline OP
OP Offline
Jim,

Thanks so much! I was going the totally wrong direction. I know where I'm going now. I'll have to post when I get back and let everyone know how easy it was to find this time. ha ha. I've been in Jamestown Design. I stop there every time I'm in town. They have a lot of great stuff there. There's also this little restaurant on the same street further up the on the right. I can't remember what it's called. For some reason I think it's called Capt. something or other. They have awesome clams there! Now, I'm really excited about my trip. Thanks again!

-------Becki smile

Becki smile

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users