Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bolivar, Texas #60494 07/14/00 07:05 AM
chris g Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We will be visiting the Galveston, Texas area in August. I understand that you cannot climb the Bolivar Point LH, but you can take a free ferry and see the light. Is this correct? Any hints for viewing this LH? Can you take pictures from the ferry, or do you evern get close enough?? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

chris g

Chris G
Re: Bolivar, Texas #60495 07/14/00 12:34 PM
Z
Zurvan Offline
Z
Unfortunately Boliva Point is on private property and access is restricted. You can get a very good view of it from the highway that runs right in front of it though. It has been five or more years since I was last there, but at the time I was able to drive into a driveway/dirt road that lead right up to the fence that is around it. I don't believe that it is very visible from the ferry, I always spend too much time watching for dolphins that can often be seen playing in the area. Enjoy your trip......

Re: Bolivar, Texas #60496 07/14/00 03:42 PM
LamarB Offline
I was there last year. The statements Zurvan makes were accurate then, too. You can see the lighthouse from the ferry but it's not close enough to photograph unless you have a really long lens and the movement of the ferry precludes using a long lens, even on a tripod.

The view of the lighthouse and keeper's houses from the highway side is excellent. There is a pond in the foreground, complete with lily pads and water flowers which should be in bloom right now. From the highway side facing the lighthouse you'll be facing northeast as I recall. You may want to consider getting an early sunrise photo. That's what I plan the next time I visit.

Also, should you see little signs above the verandas of the keeper's houses saying "For Rent", ignore them. I investigated. The owners don't mean it and didn't even realize they were there, apparently left over from another time and another owner.

Hope you enjoy it.

While you're in Galveston you may want to check out the Galveston Jetty light, too. It's not so picturesque but has a colorful history.

Re: Bolivar, Texas #60497 07/15/00 03:58 AM
Z
Zurvan Offline
Z
Seems things have not changed much then in the last few years. I remember the For Rent signs now after you mentioned it. As for Galveston Jetty Light, that has some bad news with it. It was destroyed during a storm on May 2 while waiting final plans to move it on shore and refurbish it. Wish I had the link to the story on it for you. Another light lost that could have and should have been saved.

Re: Bolivar, Texas #60498 07/15/00 07:59 AM
chris g Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Thanks for your help- I'm still pretty new to lighthousing and these comments really help! Looking forward to a great day in Galveston!

Chris G
Re: Bolivar, Texas #60499 07/15/00 05:32 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Zurvan:
As for Galveston Jetty Light, that has some bad news with it. It was destroyed during a storm on May 2 while waiting final plans to move it on shore and refurbish it. Wish I had the link to the story on it for you. Another light lost that could have and should have been saved.

Thanks for the sad news Zurvan. I hadn't heard.

Re: Bolivar, Texas #60500 07/21/00 05:45 AM
J
Jo Ann/Texas Offline
J
If you get out of your car to take picture, be sure you have bug spray. The last time I was there the bugs were hungry. I tried to find out if it was for sale.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann/Texas
Re: Bolivar, Texas #60501 08/24/00 08:17 AM
chris g Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
thanks to everyone's advice, we had a great trip out to Bolivar Point and got some great pictures too!

The ferry ride was fun- we saw dolphins, pelicans and scads of seagulls. We even saw a small crab skittering along the ground near the base of a sign about Bolivar history. This stuff is all so exciting to a landlubber like me!

We drove around the area a bit and even discovered Fort Travis, which was devastated by Hurricane Carla in the early sixties.

We visited the Galveston Historical Society where they have the Fresnel lens from the Galveston Jetty Light on display. It is really magnificient, but you are not allowed to take pictures in the museum. Too bad!

Found several great nautical stores on The Strand in Galveston as well. Even found a shop that sold Harbour Lights!

Anyway, it was a great trip. Thanks for all of the advice!

chris g

Chris G

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,318 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users