Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boat Tours Of Thomas Point Lighthouse #60474 03/31/04 04:41 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Has anybody taken a cruise out of Annapolis that goes out to this Lighthouse.

We wil be in Annapolis for a concert (Jim Messina) in July and I seem to recall someone mentioning a cruise out of Annapolis that went out to the Lighthouse.

Any info will be appreciated.

Dennis

Re: Boat Tours Of Thomas Point Lighthouse #60475 03/31/04 05:27 PM
Shirin Offline
I took it last summer with my nephew. Be prepared to run to get your photos as they go out and they don't stay long at all. If you are on the wrong side of the boat, be prepared to push your way to the other side of the boat. If you want seats on the outside deck right up front, get there early!

If you want more leisurly views of the light, I belive there are a few different cruises that run around the bay that will include multiple lights.

Shirin
Re: Boat Tours Of Thomas Point Lighthouse #60476 03/31/04 06:10 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Dennis,

About 4 years ago Heather and I took what was billed as a sunset cruise to Thomas Point. Not exactly sunset time, as it left about 4 PM. It was a very nice cruise, and we didn't have the problems Shirin encountered. The captain moved around three sides of the light, and held on station for a bit. I didn't feel hurried to get pictures. The cruise left from the docks downtown next at the foot of Dock St. There is parking right there, but you will probably have to overstay the limit while on the cruise. Don't forget, parking downtown and at the Annapolis waterfront sucks in the biggest way, so allow plenty of time to get stuck in traffic and troll for a parking place.

This may be the cruise we took http://www.watermarkcruises.com/tours_90_minute.shtml.

Here's another page that might be helpful to you
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/tour_citydock.html

Re: Boat Tours Of Thomas Point Lighthouse #60477 04/01/04 03:33 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
My first trip to Thomas Point was like Shirin's - a boat leaves the waterfront for a 90 round trip with no more than 10 minutes at the lighthouse. All other trips have been with the CC-USLHS, and we always take our time at each light.

Robert

Re: Boat Tours Of Thomas Point Lighthouse #60478 04/01/04 04:11 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Unfortunately I can't make it the day of the USLHSCC trip. I'll have to be satisfied with the other or nothing.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the links. I had already found the Watermark one, but thought there might be something I missed. I was hoping someone had a charter boat or something like that.

Dennis

Re: Boat Tours Of Thomas Point Lighthouse #60479 04/01/04 08:00 PM
Shirin Offline
You must have had a different captain Dave. That is the same cruise I went on last summer with Nick. I've been taking cruises from that company for years. Either school field trips or to show out of state relatives the Annapolis area usually resulted in a cruise. And yes, Dave the parking really sucks in Annapolis. They do have the newish parking garage on Main St. now but that tends to fill up quickly on a nice weekend. Not sure if you can still do this, but my mother not liking to deal with the hassle of parking near the docks would go over to the Naval Academy and tell the guard that we were there to take the tour. They'd let us in, we'd park and then walk out along with the other tourists to the shops and docks. I think maybe once, we actually took the tour.

Shirin
Re: Boat Tours Of Thomas Point Lighthouse #60480 04/05/04 07:52 PM
S
SandySea Offline
S
By spring 2005 (and possibly well before that time), there will be public access INTO the Thomas Point Shoal lighthouse! Part of our agreement as the new caretakers as of 1 May 2004 was to promise public access, and that is intended to mean people will be able to climb up INTO the lighthouse. Before that can occur, repairs need to be made to the decking destroyed in Hurricane Isabel, and contracts/insurance made with a tour boat company, and volunteers recruited from Chesapeake Chapter to serve as onsite docents during public visits. Stay tuned to our website at www.cheslights.org!

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,351 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users