Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60434 11/08/99 06:08 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
On November 1, 1999, Mary Ann and I ventured out to the end of Long Island via 25A to Orient Point. As we came upon the Orient Point Ferry Depot, I pulled the car into the free long-term parking lot. We walked out to the beach and could see not only the Orient Point Lighthouse but also the Plum Island Lighthouse across the inlet (Plum Gut). We hiked out along the beach about a half mile to the point were there is a cable crossing. The view from the point at low tide made you believe you could almost walk out to “The Coffee Pot”. The sky was beautifully blue and the sun glissened off the moss green covered rocks. The water was warm and Mary Ann remarked “that we should have worn our bathing suits.”
We then went over to Orient Point State Park and checked out Bug Light (Long Beach Bar) from the beach. If you were energetic, you can walk out to the light (at least 2 miles)!!! We then went house dreaming among the developments on the north side of the ‘Fork’ which all had backyard views of Orient Point LH. Then we went into the deserted village of Orient and got our second our second view of ‘Bug Light’ from the Orient Yacht Club off Village Lane. A third view was seen from a private beach at the intersection of Harbor Road and King Street. The final view of Long Beach Bar can be seen from the road on 25A across from East Marion Orient Park. (These are all long views. Bring a telephoto lens or binoculars.)

You can also see ‘Bug Light’ from Shelter Island in the Dering Harbor area from Point Lane adjacent to Gardiners Bay Country Club. This is definitely your closest land view but requires a ferry trip from 3rd Street in Greenport.

Pictures to follow.

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 11-08-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60435 11/09/99 02:05 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
If your weather has been as nice as ours, it had to be a stellar day to go lighthousing! Glad you had a fun trip. Will be looking forward to the pics - hope they show us what you have described - "The sky was beautifully blue and the sun glissened off the moss green covered rocks. "

Dave

Re: North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60436 11/09/99 08:43 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I was in that same area over the Columbus Day Weekend. I took the ferry out of New London. Lots to see in that area. It was different going by car instead of my boat. I would recommend that journey to anyone.

Bob

Re: North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60437 11/09/99 12:19 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I had trouble with the weather when I was up there in August. I tried to get a shot of Plum Island, but it was too cloudy. The shots of Bug Light came out fairly well. Next time I go up to NY, I'm going to try visiting all the South Shore Lighthouses.

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60438 11/10/99 10:08 AM
Wildbird99 Offline
It's hard to spend any amount of time on the North Fork wiothout falling in love with it.

If you're a lighthouse fan, you have plenty of options. You can always visit Horton Point which, in my opinion, contains perhaps the niftiest combination of a beautiful structure and setting. If you want to take a close look at some nice Fresnel lenses, you just meander over the the East End Seaport Museum. You can see, as Bob points out, Long Beach Bar, Orient Point and Plum Island from the land. A quick ride on the ferry will get you nice views of Orient Point, Plum Island, New London Ledge and New London Harbor.

A short ferry ride takes you to Shelter Island, which is a neat place. And the North Fork also has lovely scenery, farm stands, vineyards, and lots of history. And it's not phony, cheesy and overcrowded like the South Fork.

The North Fork really is a lovely place. Let's hope it doesn't become overdeveloped like much of the rest of the island.

------------------
Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60439 11/15/99 02:28 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's a picture for Dave H

The back

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60440 11/16/99 02:47 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Why thanks, Bob. Love the perspective you got with the low angle. With a little moiosture bet those rocks could be a real "trip" to get across!

Dave

Re: North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60441 11/17/99 12:47 AM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
What an awesome photo, Bob! Your description of your day on the North Fork really made me yearn to be back on Long Island, if only for a day...

How about all those lights for a Long Island Series?!

Barb

Barb
Re: North Fork Long Island Lighthousing #60442 01/01/00 11:37 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Duplicated this trip on Thursday with two visitors. 30 degree difference in temperature and windy but we all enjoyed it!

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,811 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users